• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

JB Weld on oversized wood holes....??

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I'm building a kibler colonial, coming along very well. I did run into an issue with butt plate fitment. The supplied screws had terrible threads...and I caught hell fitting it perfectly. Ended up snapping a screw, and decided to plug it, after drilling out left over screw shank in stock. Ended up with a larger hole, which I plugged with tooth picks and epoxy. That didn't work and wallowed out hole. Thought to use JB weld, but ended up drilling out hole to 7/16" and epoxing a like sized section of dowel. Curing now.

What's the opinion of this vs JB weld?
My impression is the JB would be tough to drill and begin threading a coarse threaded wood screw with out tapping first??

Btw, the bad screw is not kiblers fault at all. These things happen and I don't expect perfection on every little detail in life. His kits are excellent and very well made and designed. Can't wait to build another really.

Ah more JB welding stuff, love these posts.

I would glue in a wooden dowel and redrill it.

Or I would use a bigger wood screw..

Original guns were repaired with a type of cutlers resin which is a mixture of beeswax, Rosen and charcoal or wood dust. It gets glass hard and works very well, is adaptive to wood threads.

Back