• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Comfort of a pipe

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Very attractive pipes, well done.
I quit pipe smoking about 20 years ago when my daughter begged me to. Even at ronny campfires was banned. My son brought me a beautiful meerschaum from Turkey that I have never used.

Rifleman, when ya send me that tomahawk just drop the pipe in the box too please...

And thanks!

I've smoked a pipe and cigars since I was about 18.Mostly English blends of pipe tobacco. Had a couple meerchaums and lots of briers, but lately mostly corn cobs. I turned 82 last summer so don't put much faith in warnings. :confused: I like small cigars. A tot of aging Scotch and a pipe have kept me company at many a campfire. :grin: graybeard

My 16th thru 18th C. pipes... Guess the reed stem pipes are fine for 19th C. impressions as well though the "face bowl" is definitely 18th C. Tobacco in the jar and deerskin pouch that goes in the haversack...

Hey Alden...guess you'd know. How much truth is there in the larger clay pipes with the long stems being designed so tavern smokers could knock off an inch or so for semi-sanitary reasons? :wink:

True. And why I don't have one -- I ain't sharin' my pipes though I have some spares of those pictured. The one that looks like a shortened 18th C. tavern pipe IS a common 18th C. colonial pipe for its one owner.

By the way, I store such pipes of mine in a styrofoam egg carton -- had to cut the middle support jutting down from the top a half an inch shorter to close but generally the bowls go into the cups nicely (upside down) and, in my case, the stems take up all the room across the container making it all pretty tight and fairly well protected from being overly stupid on my part...

Yep, done a few "overly stupid on my part" through the years! One of my all time favorite pipes was a small meerschaum carved to look like a miniature calabash...good ole Sherlock look to it. You know meerschaum doesn't bounce well on stone floors? Oy Vey! :haha:

This is an original clay pipe. I'm VERY careful when I use it. The tongs I've had for years and don't remember where I got them, very handy for picking embers from the fire to light up.

smokin_stuff.JPG

I'm smoking a pipestone pipe in this painting done in 1981. The stem was a turkey wingbone. I started smoking a pipe when I was very young, a yellowbowl pipe and we smoked cornsilk when we couldn't get tobacco.

Voyageur.JPG

Back in the days when I used to smoke, I used to go to a local tobacco store and have them mix up a special blend for me. It was toasted Cavendish with just a touch of Latakia and a touch of Perique mixed in for the flavor. Straight toasted Cavendish was a bit bland for my tastes. That Latakia and Perique mixture will not win any fragrance contests nor will you have admiring women hanging all over you but I didn't pick my tobacco to entertain others, I picked a blend that satisfied ME. If you have a tobacco store near you that can make up special blends, give it a try, you might find it to your liking.

NWTF Longhunter said:
This is an original clay pipe. I'm VERY careful when I use it. The tongs I've had for years and don't remember where I got them, very handy for picking embers from the fire to light up.

smokin_stuff.JPG

I recently bought two pipes off of ebay and one of them looks like this pipe. Mine is white with the same kind of reed stem. The stem on mine is about 3 inches longer than yours. I've not had a chance to smoke it yet, but I'm hoping to do so in the next couple of days. The same auction included a smaller clay pipe that has ships on the bowl and a yellow covering on the mouth piece of the stem. I'm also going to give it a try and see how it smokes. It's been raining for the last couple of days so I haven't been able to go out and enjoy a pipe.

Those tongs look like they have a tobacco pick on one side of the handles, and a tamper on the other side. That's pretty neat!

Dad always had a pipe either smoking it or filling it or cleaning it. Had a pipe in his hand when a car left the roadway, striking him & taking his life.

35 years later when I'd taken up smoking for appetite suppression, I took the pipe with its broken stem to the tobacco shop to get it fixed.

Pipe shop knew the story, but never returned it fixed nor still broken for > 2 years, then told me it was lost.

Made no offers of recompense and in fact acted like jerks. Went to law about it, got it back & found a guy on the 'net who repaired it for $15 and returned it in 2 weeks.

More than 60 years old but I smoke it weekly.

I'm not so sure about the "sanitary" mindset of the longer stems. It wasn't until the Crimean War or thereafter we even started to sanitize operating instruments when the germ theory came into popular culture.

I think a longer stem gives a milder smoke. And clay pipes get HOT to hold.

What were those mean people thinkin'? Glad u got your (Dad's) pipe back and fixed. Might be time to put it up though, no?

Latest posts

Back