• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Comfort of a pipe

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
In browsing a number of Civil War images, it is clear many of the boys took a measure of comfort in a pipe. The majority that I have seen appear to be clay bowls with reed stems. Wonder if they were forced from time to time to use a tobacco substitute, although much of the war was fought in tobacco country.
Considering the lousy food and the primitive camp conditions, it is no small wonder that a pipe was a treasured article.

AGREED.

My research indicates that soldiers of TWBTS also smoked other substances in their pipes. - More than one in the Trans-mississippi West found that Jimson Weed made them VERY ILL, as did some kinni-knick blends.

yours, satx

Member Fella's here in NC tobacco was king,we all raised it for a living at that point in time. :surrender:

Tobacco was so common in the Rebel army that they often traded it pound for pound for coffee with the DY.
(Even in the trenches of Petersburg the "swapping" went on.)

yours, satx

I have half a very nice $3 cigar sittin' here you guys are compelling me to retorch. I have pipes for all periods I reenact where there was tobacco from Elizabethan thru Rev War. One of them even has "bumps" which were symbolic of The Plague in Europe where it was used at the time! It is still a comfort. Everything in moderation though the pipes did get bigger and bigger...

The clay pipes with reed stems are my favorite -- the clay stems generally break when you look at them.

As a confirmed member of the Benevolent Brotherhood of the Briar I can say a pipe can be quite a comfort when sitting around a fire at night.

Foster From Flint

Uncle Pig said:
As a confirmed member of the Benevolent Brotherhood of the Briar I can say a pipe can be quite a comfort when sitting around a fire at night.

Foster From Flint
Amen! Although a corn cob with a hollow reed stem is hard to beat! :wink:

I have stock piled a lot of tobacco. I smoke English blends, and my pipes have brought me lots of joy over the years. By the by the SG of the United States did a study and found pipe smokers out live non smokers by three years. Lately some groups tried to undermind that study. Sweeden SG found that pipe smokes die about 2 years earlier. (if they smoke 7 or more bowls a day)

I bet my grandad smoked seven bowlsfull a day... But back then smokers smoked and pipe-smokers SMOKED their pipes!

I was a pipe smoker for many years. For about seven years I smoked a Kinniki-Knik mix that did not contain any tobbacco. It was one of several blends I bought from an Indian tribe in New York and sold in my shop. I later nearly quit except for times around the campfire. Many years later after our 'surprise' late in life daughter was born, she came home from school one day and begged me to not smoke anything ever again. Just couldn't deny her and quit. But, around the campfire I still miss it. I had a large collection of pipes I gave to another collector.

Frank I have to say I would parafrze Chuchcill if my kids or grandaughter asked me to stop smoking...A child is just a child but a good pipe is a SMOKE

Back