• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Colonial militia rifles

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

rt6425

32 Cal
Reaction score
I have finished my first flintlock kit and enjoyed the process of it. I want to make a flintlock rifle that is period correct for the New England town and state militias. I know that they probably had different makers make rifles, but I know that they were all pretty similar. What kits are out there? I would like to have something other than pedersoli as I want a bit more of a challenge.

Rifles were not popular in the New England area. John Adams’s describe them to Abigail and greatly impressed when he saw Virginia militia men with them.
Track of the wolf offers a colonial and an English style fowler both the type of arms . A French fusil de chase may have made its way in to New England but would be especially rare.
Many French muskets were captured and did make it in to armories so a militia man may have had one from the French and Indian war, but again would be rare. Old besses were likewise found in armories and may be put in a militia man’s hands.

If you are looking for Revolutionary War era, rifles were virtually unknown in New England at that time.

Now, in the early 1800s, the militia system was still in effect and there were quite a few rifles made for militia use, particularly in Massachusetts.

Track of the wolf and sitting fox
IMG_6585.png
IMG_6586.png
IMG_6587.png

In Rifles of Colonial America Shumway points out that the predominant gun in the New England area was the fowler. He goes on to stat he had seen a few guns made in the style of a fowler but they had a rifled barrel.

I have finished my first flintlock kit and enjoyed the process of it. I want to make a flintlock rifle that is period correct for the New England town and state militias. I know that they probably had different makers make rifles, but I know that they were all pretty similar. What kits are out there? I would like to have something other than pedersoli as I want a bit more of a challenge.
To be correct for a New England militia firearm, that firearm would be a smoothbore. Track's English or the similar Pecatonica version would be the correct militia piece.

What period are you looking into? That’s the first question.

Hi,
As Mike and others wrote, rifles were not well known in colonial New England. However, there is the "Thomas Tileston" rifle dated 1771(?) that looks like a Pennsylvania long rifle but stocked in cherry. It is iron mounted. However, I do not believe there is consensus about where and by whom that rifle was made. Regardless, the operative question in the OP's original post is what was carried by colonial militias. Colonial NE militias would not know what to do with a rifleman in their ranks. Likely, if a militiaman showed up carrying a rifle, an officer would take it away and hand him a musket.

An old French or British musket, a musket locally made from old French, Dutch, or British parts, or some sort of locally made or imported fowler would be the likely options.

dave

Back