• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

1/4-28 Powder drum

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Dixie Gun Works Drum NP0612 is listed for the Tennessee Mountain Rifle, Cub and Pennsylvania Dixie guns. It does nor say what thread but I have a Dixie Mountain Longrifle and it has a drum with 1/4-28 threads that screw into the vent hole in the barrel. You might call them and ask what thread it has. My gun is an older one but I think from the picture it looks to be the same smaller 1/4/28 unless they have changed it.
Thank you!

What if a drum with larger diameter threads were chucked up in a drill (apologies to those who have a veritable machine shop out back. Some of us mutts gotta make do). Then turn it down to correct diameter and thread it to 1/4 X 28?? Turned against a file or grinder.

What if a drum with larger diameter threads were chucked up in a drill (apologies to those who have a veritable machine shop out back. Some of us mutts gotta make do). Then turn it down to correct diameter and thread it to 1/4 X 28?? Turned against a file or grinder.
I thought about that too to be honest hahaha I’m one of them mutts! Funny bc my grandfather always called ppl mutts haven’t heard anyone else us it 🤣

Methinks I and your grandfather are/were cut from similar cloth. The term ranges from endearment to antagonism depending on context and voice.

I thought about that too to be honest hahaha I’m one of them mutts! Funny bc my grandfather always called ppl mutts haven’t heard anyone else us it 🤣
I have not tried to rethread a drum but if you find a 1/4-28 you may have to index it to snug up to the barrel and line up the nipple to the hammer. I do this by chucking the drum in a drill press and holding a file to the shoulder of the drum as it spins till it wil turn in enough to line up. Usualy doesn't take long. I do not have a lathe either. Guess i am a mutt making do also.

Methinks I and your grandfather are/were cut from similar cloth. The term ranges from endearment to antagonism depending on context and voice.
Well he is a 94 year old polish man who is definitely the person I look up to the most, had to have a catheter this year during hunting season and was so mad he could go out, but he did get out the last week! He will hunt and fish till he dies

Well he is a 94 year old polish man who is definitely the person I look up to the most, had to have a catheter this year during hunting season and was so mad he could go out, but he did get out the last week! He will hunt and fish till he dies
He's an inspirational guy. I like him even not having met him. Now, whether or not we would get along, that's another question. 🤣

Might be a dumb question but I was wondering is there any powder drums that have 1/4-28 threads so I can screw it into my barrel? I have a little CVA .32 that i converted from percussion to flint and put a 1/4-28 vent liner in. I love it as flint but some days I would like to shot percussion. Iv looked but can’t seem to find one that size, am I wanting something that isn’t out there?
Hi, do you still have the old drum you took off of your rifle when you converted it? Is your rifle a cva .32 squirrel?

A place called The Gun Works has what you want . 7/16 dia undrilled for nipple 1/4 x 28 thread drum . Sku D-19 $ 3.75. I have used them before and no problem at all.

A place called The Gun Works has what you want . 7/16 dia undrilled for nipple 1/4 x 28 thread drum . Sku D-19 $ 3.75. I have used them before and no problem at all.
Awesome! Have you used this before on a .32 CVA Squirrel rifle? Also do you know where I might fine a breech plug for it?

Well I'll be -- MSB DOES show a drum that has 1/4X28 TPI that will screw into a barrel with 1/4 X 28 threads --- Here is the MBS post on drums ;

<16185 - 7/16 outside dia 1/4-28 TPI blank-not threaded for nipple
Blank Powder Drum 7/16 outside diameter, extra small 1/4-28 male threads. Drum NOT threaded for nipple. 7/16 diameter OD fits Chambers Small Siler, L&R Bedford and Manton percussion locks.>

The issue I see with this drum is the flash channel has to be small or the root diameter of the 1/4 X 28 thread would have no strength and shear off the drum when tightened down or when the gun is fired.

Latest posts

Back