• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

1/4-28 Powder drum

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Might be a dumb question but I was wondering is there any powder drums that have 1/4-28 threads so I can screw it into my barrel? I have a little CVA .32 that i converted from percussion to flint and put a 1/4-28 vent liner in. I love it as flint but some days I would like to shot percussion. Iv looked but can’t seem to find one that size, am I wanting something that isn’t out there?

Most any muzzle loading supplier will have them. Make sure your lock bolster is tight up on the drum or you risk it breaking off.

Most any muzzle loading supplier will have them. Make sure your lock bolster is tight up on the drum or you risk it breaking off.
I looked and looked and couldn’t find one, tried track of the wolf and Dixie. Am I looking in the wrong place? I see where it says the nipple is 1/4-28 but not the threads on the drum so I can screw it in my barrel

I looked and looked and couldn’t find one, tried track of the wolf and Dixie. Am I looking in the wrong place? I see where it says the nipple is 1/4-28 but not the threads on the drum so I can screw it in my barrel
Try Muzzleloaders builder's supply that's where I get most of my parts.

Yes.
Only because of your need to screw a 1/4x28 drum into the 10mm vent of the CVA.
Conversions are possible.
Please, study?
I think his previous conversion has already dealt with that. This from his OP: "I have a little CVA .32 that i converted from percussion to flint and put a 1/4-28 vent liner in."

Those drums on track of the wolf have 1/4 - 28 threads for the nipple, but not for the male thread that screws into the barrel. That would be pretty small, they are usually 5/16 or bigger thread.
Ibothell - are you sure the threads in the barrel are actually 1/4 - 28?

Those drums on track of the wolf have 1/4 - 28 threads for the nipple, but not for the male thread that screws into the barrel. That would be pretty small, they are usually 5/16 or bigger thread.
Indeed, you are correct 👍

I need to be more careful with my reading.

I purchased and used a 1/4 X 28 threaded drum from TOW quite a while back. I used it on a 13/16 barrel to keep the hole well within the flat.

Indeed, you are correct 👍

I need to be more careful with my reading.

I purchased and used a 1/4 X 28 threaded drum from TOW quite a while back. I used it on a 13/16 barrel to keep the hole well within the flat.
The drums should be supported on the bottom side by the lock plate or they most likely will eventually brake off from hammer drop fatigue in the threaded area. Snails do not have this issue.

Yes you are correct those are for the nipples. And I’m sure that the threads are 1/4-28 bc that’s what my liner is right now. Might be a dumb question but can I make one? Well make one that’s safe hahah. And thank you guys for your responses this is helping

Yes you are correct those are for the nipples. And I’m sure that the threads are 1/4-28 bc that’s what my liner is right now. Might be a dumb question but can I make one? Well make one that’s safe hahah. And thank you guys for your responses this is helping
I made this drum for my horse pistol. Easy if one has access to a lathe and it works fine. I fit it very close contact with lock plate to support against hammer drop fatique.

Attachments

• IMG_2174.JPG
    IMG_2174.JPG
    188.6 KB · Views: 0
I made this drum for my horse pistol. Easy if one has access to a lathe and it works fine. I fit it very close contact with lock plate to support against hammer drop fatique.
That’s awesome very impressive, but I don’t not have access to a lathe so I’m going to have to try something. What kind of steel did you use to make that?

I have a little CVA .32 that i converted from percussion to flint and put a 1/4-28 vent liner in. I love it as flint but some days I would like to shot percussion
Tell us how you converted your CVA 32 from percussion to flint. Did remove the old drum and just run a 1/4-28 tap in the hole? Or did you plug the hole and redrill and tap it? The factory threaded hole in the barrel for the drum most likely was a metric thread. Maybe a 6mm which has a pitch of 25 (AKA 1mm), which would be close to a 1/4-28 thread, but still requiring a bump up is size to be safe.

Tell us how you converted your CVA 32 from percussion to flint. Did remove the old drum and just run a 1/4-28 tap in the hole? Or did you plug the hole and redrill and tap it? The factory threaded hole in the barrel for the drum most likely was a metric thread. Maybe a 6mm which has a pitch of 25 (AKA 1mm), which would be close to a 1/4-28 thread, but still requiring a bump up is size to be safe.
So for that one I cut off the drum then filed down. After that I brazed (I believe that’s the term) some brass just to fill in the voids and that way I could file smooth. Once I did that I got a kit off track off the wolf to drill and tap a hole for a 1/4-28 vent liner

Attachments

• IMG_5900.jpeg
    IMG_5900.jpeg
    1.3 MB · Views: 0
So for that one I cut off the drum then filed down. After that I brazed (I believe that’s the term) some brass just to fill in the voids and that way I could file smooth. Once I did that I got a kit off track off the wolf to drill and tap a hole for a 1/4-28 vent liner
Dixie Gun Works Drum NP0612 is listed for the Tennessee Mountain Rifle, Cub and Pennsylvania Dixie guns. It does nor say what thread but I have a Dixie Mountain Longrifle and it has a drum with 1/4-28 threads that screw into the vent hole in the barrel. You might call them and ask what thread it has. My gun is an older one but I think from the picture it looks to be the same smaller 1/4/28 unless they have changed it.

Latest posts

Back