• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Cleaning with removable chokes

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
What’s the best way to clean a shotgun bore with removable chokes? Cleaning with them in means the jag has a really hard time getting past the constriction. Do-able with IC but certainly not full. Removing the chokes and then cleaning has the patches getting caught on the threads on the way down. Any tips?

In my case, either the barrels are tighter than usual or my new jag is bigger than usual. I’m having to chuck the jag in a drill & slowly file enough brass to get the jag & patch to fit.

I got extended chokes. Makes life easier

Screw in the cylinder to patch jag bucket soap..

For my 10ga I use a 12ga jag and double 50cal patch works good.

For the 12.. 12ga jag one patch. Cyl choke

To clean the choke barrel threads I use a cloth and arrow. One cloth windex one cloth ballistol and it's clean. Spin them in and out..

Attachments

• 254984-bbebc707f73079bc514887ca182e8ec7.jpg
    254984-bbebc707f73079bc514887ca182e8ec7.jpg
    110.4 KB · Views: 0
  • 20231015_185205.jpg
    20231015_185205.jpg
    3.3 MB · Views: 0
Last edited:
I do a lot of hunting with my Pedersoli SxS 12ga Multichokes. Cleaning? As many ways to do this as there are people doing it. My method for what it may be worth? Wedge out, barrels off. My big dedicated soup pot heating on the stove with a gallon or two of tap water and a small squirt of liquid dish soap. I pull off the nipples and unscrew the chokes and into the pot they go. If needed, the lock plates also. Bring the pot to a low boil. Pot off the stove and into the kitchen sink. A couple old bath towels laid out to protect surfaces, slightly overlap the edge of my pot, and collect water escape. The breech of the barrels into the pot. I use a 16ga jag and a couple of generous patches to draw water up and out of each barrel several times with some enthusiasm. Shove down hard enough so water gets past the patches and some comes out of the muzzle on the upstroke. Things get hot so I use old wash cloths to hold the barrels and collect the escaping scalding water. Barrels out, drain water from the nipple holes and lay flat on the bath towels. Copious large dry patches in each barrel, including a couple run down and twisted with the patch puller, until thoroughly dry. Finish with a couple of passes, to include the patch puller, with a patch with TC Bore Butter. Set the barrels muzzle down until they cool. The wet towels are then used to wipe down the hammers and other metal. Nipples are likewise wiped down and I blow through them to be sure I can see daylight through the fire channel. The chokes are likewise wiped down and dried. Scant bore butter applied to threads of the nipples and chokes. Reassembled when the barrels have cooled. So cleaned I merely load with no further ado for the next hunt.

Clean the bores with the screw chokes in but move the IC over to the other barrel when you are ready to clean it. Clean the chokes themselves out of the gun.

Latest posts

Back