• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

TC New Englander 12ga for turkey

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Trigger

40 Cal
Reaction score
Just added one to my hunting muzzloader collection!

Trying not to buy every choke lol.

Carlson sporting clay extended choke... full? X full? Or something xxx turkey?

Look for a good solid hit. 30 yard

My load I think.. nitro card-wool wad-#6 lead-shot card. 1 1/4 Oz maybe 60 up to 70 grn vol prydex rs

Also want a longer ramrod to match the extended chokes? Wood one. I havnt even looked around yet... even if I have to cut to length and attach ends...

Hey there, I have a New Englander with fixed choke and also a Tree Hawk with screw ins. I use the Tree Hawk for turkey and have an excellent load that I posted on the forum earlier in the spring. If you search back you may find it if not let me know. It will take a little but I will send you pics and info on what you need to know. Watch eBay for those tc chokes as I got my mod and ic from there for under 20 a piece. My turkey pattern was with the tc full and I am going to try a Kicks Gobbling Thunder next. Your chokes that are Non Tc have to be labeled Invector! Be careful because they also have an Invector Plus. Also remember if loading hard overpowder cards and plastic wads you have to load with choke removed but you will have that gobbler with that one shot. Let me know if you find my posts and if not I will gather all info I did and send it! Hope this helps, Reds

This was my pattern at 30 with the standard TC Full. I was just off to left as you see because I’m old with sucky close up vision! Ha!

Attachments

• IMG_2359.jpeg
    IMG_2359.jpeg
    3.1 MB · Views: 0
Nice..

I just got in an extended cyl for Pheasant season and loading... like I don't want to load without those threads protected... testing that out this afternoon I think

Now I'm stuck cuz that full looks good for 30 so 20 is a hard hit on them. Granted the last 3 turkeys have been 10 yards or so... like one ran right down the trail to me... came running running to I was like wow that's fast almost didn't get the hammer back in time...

I think I'm leaning on the full to start for turkey.. I don't want to tight either.

Been using a pedersoli 10ga... cylinders for the Pheasant... I like it allot. Got a bird dog so i got birds every time out not just a walk with it i chase a gsp.. she's good at finding rabbits too.. the gun patterns OK but just OK but that's OK... it hasn't ruined anything..

It's kinda a long story... short version I hunt allot but no fid card.. another couple years I can get it back but right now just a Mr meaner on there but it's tricky here so I'm waiting... guns drop allot in value when the police take them.

I like muzzloader but I'm a good shot or hunter maybe both on somedays.

Knight mountaineer for deer.. but had a tc hawken years ago... the shotguns brought me here.. there's not many out there the markets not great... 2years I finally found a deal on the new englander with chokes.. the 10ga was during covid so Italy only sent one cost me to much. But I like it.

It's tuff on info out there also.. I don't know anyone hunting blackpowder. Kinda lucky having online phone lol... I remember I learned turkey hunting all magazine bought everything turkey for 2 years and read them... and one primos casset tape.

Birds hunting.. I dunno if it help anyone..

I use a tactical style possible bag... it is nice.. it's nice organized I find everything fast and reload is smooth... I know there's a couple ways you can organize yourself... shot pouch flash etc but I dunno I carry 5 to 10 shots in tubes... with having a dog going and all you need to be a minute man.

Hey there, I have a New Englander with fixed choke and also a Tree Hawk with screw ins. I use the Tree Hawk for turkey and have an excellent load that I posted on the forum earlier in the spring. If you search back you may find it if not let me know. It will take a little but I will send you pics and info on what you need to know. Watch eBay for those tc chokes as I got my mod and ic from there for under 20 a piece. My turkey pattern was with the tc full and I am going to try a Kicks Gobbling Thunder next. Your chokes that are Non Tc have to be labeled Invector! Be careful because they also have an Invector Plus. Also remember if loading hard overpowder cards and plastic wads you have to load with choke removed but you will have that gobbler with that one shot. Let me know if you find my posts and if not I will gather all info I did and send it! Hope this helps, Reds
The kicks is good.. had that on my benelli. Lol 50 yards number 5. Fist size pattern at 20...

Also yup.
I got those shot cups they were cheap.. but they only hold an Oz of lead... but then now again thinking TSS in there. There claybuster 1 1/8 Oz cups but the most I got in there was .96 #6 lead... I don't like them.. but I dunno it might make a nice light birds load with 7.5 shot in there.

I hate tss.. expensive and lead works just fine. it bothers me in thinking turkey load like I'm messing around with a handy cap when I should shotcup tss..

I think I'm buying chokes lmao this is going to cost more than the gun.

Last edited:
Trigger, here is pics of what I use. This is the setup for every load I shoot lead, bismuth, 7 1/2 to BB. As you see the shot cup is for 3”. It was a little work but all loads I hand counted the first one and then cut the cup petals off accordingly. You can look up any pellet count for any type shot. There is only a few loads I always use 1 1/4oz of 71/2 or 6 lead for small game, 1 3/4oz of 5 lead for turkey, 1 3/8 of 4 bismuth for ducks and 1 3/4oz of 2 or BB bismuth for geese! That’s it and this method was all compiled from testing each on those 48” cardboard discs at various ranges.
The nitrocard, 1/2”fiber cushion and overshot card are like a metal washer in that they have a rounded side and a sharp side from stamping. I always put the rounded side in first like I have them positioned in the picture. As you see I use 2 overshot cards. Also note the 1/2” fiber cushions are 14ga. They still fit right in the barrel but they also fit up in the end of the wad base just so slightly!!
Also pictured is the buffer I use in my turkey load and the bismuth loads. Just a bit to cushion the pellets and keep them from deforming on ignition. Hope all this helps you and anyone else that may be reading, like I said it took me a long time to get all this working right but Damn does it work! Last year I set out to Only hunt with muzzleloaders, no moderns at all and what an adventure it was! Going to do the same again this year! Thanks for taking the time to read and again hope it helps, Reds

Attachments

• IMG_2776.jpeg
    IMG_2776.jpeg
    2.1 MB · Views: 0
  • IMG_2773.jpeg
    IMG_2773.jpeg
    2.3 MB · Views: 0
  • IMG_2777.jpeg
    IMG_2777.jpeg
    2.2 MB · Views: 0
What is it called? I see the brand g4free but what is the model? They make alot of stuff. And can you post a photo of you wearing it? Does it go on your waist and sit on your hip? Or do you wear it on your shoulder? Thanks

Attachments

• FB_IMG_1695042477269.jpg
    FB_IMG_1695042477269.jpg
    60.1 KB · Views: 0
Over your shoulder... it's an amazon one.. $26... I'll look up the link... there are more pricey ones out there but.

You do basically nitro under the shotcup. I was wondering that if I should use I nitro first or wool wad then cup... etc etc...

I don't like the cups I got. Those are better. Was wondering if you cut them down.. the ten gauge I never got them yet cuz there all for 2.5 Oz and hard to find to ship here.

Those are the charge tubes I got... more for the case.. I keep the top off and in the main compartment... reach in and grab... the emptys I put loose in the main compartment with it.. the front of the powder case is shot rear is powder... I'll post some pics soon

Attachments

• 20230918_174748.jpg
    20230918_174748.jpg
  • 20230918_174855.jpg
    20230918_174855.jpg
    2.3 MB · Views: 0
  • 20230918_174903.jpg
    20230918_174903.jpg
    1.9 MB · Views: 0
  • 20230918_174924.jpg
    20230918_174924.jpg
    3.7 MB · Views: 0
  • 20230918_174937.jpg
    20230918_174937.jpg
    1.8 MB · Views: 0
  • 20230918_175210.jpg
    20230918_175210.jpg
  • 20230918_175303.jpg
    20230918_175303.jpg
    1.7 MB · Views: 0
Wow, so much to consume in one sitting !!!
Been playing with my 12 ga New Englander ( after years of looking for one) the last few weeks. Been trying to figure out loads ( I've used TSS in my modern firearms for turkey since it came out ) . Everyone I've talked to tells me not to use it in this gun.
Thanks for all the info 😃

Wow, so much to consume in one sitting !!!
Been playing with my 12 ga New Englander ( after years of looking for one) the last few weeks. Been trying to figure out loads ( I've used TSS in my modern firearms for turkey since it came out ) . Everyone I've talked to tells me not to use it in this gun.
Thanks for all the info 😃
Took me 2 years to find a deal been on gunbroker every day... I wanted it in good condition etc.... i was trying bidn so much etc... I felt bad winning when I did I would have paid double but that's OK choke tube fund.

Tk2000 also..

And pedersoli 10ga with choke tubes..

I wanted the new englander but I was hunting the for the 3... where ever the deal landed.

Back