• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Cherokee .32 loads

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

packgoat

32 Cal.
Reaction score
Can someone help me with a good smallgame load for a .32 caliber T/C Cherokee?

Thanks

Packgoat

In both my 32 cal Traditions Crockett and 32 cal GM drop-in barrel, 25 grains of FFF or Pyro P, .310 RB, and .015 patch are wickedly accurate. Fine small game round, but confine yourself to head shots or lose some meat.

Depends on your gun, mine have always shot best with 20 grains of FFF Goex. Man, that's a lot of shooting per pound of powder. :grin:

Gotta love it! :winking:

Packgoat, My .32 Cherokee is very accurate with 15 or even 10 grains of pyrodex P and I use both of these loads for squirrel. Very little meat destruction but, head shots are a good idea.

I'll second what PA Hunter said. 10 to 15gr. of Pyro P has worked fine in my Cherokee and in the .32 barrel on my System 1. 20 gr. is my upper limit; though the gun will take much more. I also use a .010 prelubed Ox-Yoke patch and a Hornady .310 RB. At the range, accuracy holds up and loading stays easy often through as many as 25 shots. Don't know where the smallbores got the bad rap for fouling. :confused:

The goal for this load is to simulate .22RF ballistics to minimize meat damage.
Bob

Couple questions on the Cherokee rifles. Is this the rifle that TC use to make that looked like a smaller TC Hawken with all the brass & etc?? Is there anywhere you can buy a new one today?

My Cherokee has a brass trigger guard and butt plate. All the other metal is blued. They aren't made anymore. I found this one used. She is sure pretty. I can't wait to work up a load and get in the hard woods.

packgoat

Rat Trapper said:
Couple questions on the Cherokee rifles. Is this the rifle that TC use to make that looked like a smaller TC Hawken with all the brass & etc?? Is there anywhere you can buy a new one today?

The Cherokee has been out of production some years now. Like the Seneca in .36, the .32 had a fast 1-30" twist which stabilized these smaller balls at slower velocity. This is why the Cheorkee will operate well with only 10 grains of FFFg, though the same gun also works with an optimum of about 25 grains of FFFg for hunting loads.

The only ones available are on the blackpowder auction sites. Have also seen a coupole for sale recently on The Gun Works site under "Used Production Guns", in fact they've hadd several Cherokee & Seneca models and another with mulitple barrels. Think most are bringing about $400 now.

Got mine for $300.Near mint!Got it on Auctionarms,Gunbroker,or Gunsamerica I don't remember.Mine likes a .310 RB,20 grs of FFFg,and red stripe pillow with Stumpy Moose Milk.First year for squirrels this year and I was 8 out of 13 shots at ranges from 20-40 yds.I also have the 36 Seneca.Working on Maxi loads for it right now.These are great even if they are TC'S. :rotf:

Thanks for the info. I hope to go to the range this week. I'll let you know how it goes.

Packgoat

Latest posts

Back