• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

What twist would be right for roundball in a 40 caliber ?

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Went through the shop and gathered all the Senaca and Cherokee parts I had replaced on several rifles last year for one reason or another. Looks like I can assemble a complete rifle with them. Like I said they are functional but might have a defect that was easier to fix with a replacement part. The barrel is a 45 caliber Cherokee, I'm thinking of sending it to Bobby Hoyt for relining it to a 40 caliber. What would be a good twist for roundball in that short barrel ?

This might be a dumb question but here goes, does caliber have any bearing on what the twist rate should be for round ball? I assumed that round ball needed a very slow rate, like 1 in 60 or so but seeing a recommendation of 1 in 48 has me a bit confused.

Tends to get more confusing the more you read. 1:60 to 1:70 seems to be sold as a roundball twist. But that discussion is normally in reference to 50 or 54 caliber rifles. Usually the advertised barrels are in the 30-32 inch length.
I guess my original question should have been does going to the shorter (Cherokee) barrel impact that ?
But 1:48 appears to be the general consensus.

I thought a 1:48 twist was so you could shoot ball and conical? If he wants to shoot balls only a slower twist may give him a few more F.P.S.?

Man, I know even less than most! How does one go down in caliber? I can see going up from .45 to .50 but, how do you go down to a smaller caliber if the barrel is already bored to 45?

Apologies to the OP for the thread drift!

Man, I know even less than most! How does one go down in caliber? I can see going up from .45 to .50 but, how do you go down to a smaller caliber if the barrel is already bored to 45?

Apologies to the OP for the thread drift!
Bore out bigger then insert a sleeve that fits the new bore and is .45 caliber

Went through the shop and gathered all the Senaca and Cherokee parts I had replaced on several rifles last year for one reason or another. Looks like I can assemble a complete rifle with them. Like I said they are functional but might have a defect that was easier to fix with a replacement part. The barrel is a 45 caliber Cherokee, I'm thinking of sending it to Bobby Hoyt for relining it to a 40 caliber. What would be a good twist for roundball in that short barrel ?
I would recommend asking Bobby Hoyt for his recommendations.

This is not a question that comes with a single answer. What the optimal twist for a given caliber is based on several factors. Of course, caliber is the starting point. Next comes the projectile, round ball or conical bullet. What is the purpose of the rifle? Short range will work better with a faster twist and lower powder charge. Depth of the grooves and patches to fill the grooves add to the stability of either a patched round ball or a conical bullet. Radius bottom grooves or square bottom grooves have advocates for both shooting round ball or conical balls. The conical bullets seem to work better in shallow square bottom grooves. Patched round balls work well in either configuration. The width of the lands should be narrower than the grooves. We want the patch to have room to fit into the grooves. The number of lands and grooves seem to reside in the 6 to 8 lands. Some swear by the 7 lands and grooves based on the theory that having the land opposite the groove makes for a better fit. (Maybe?)

With all that said, most rifle barrel makers offer a standard 40 caliber with a twist rate of 1 in 48. However, other twists rates can be custom ordered. Bobby will most likely offer a liner with 1 in 48 twist and radiused grooves.

I guess my original question should have been does going to the shorter (Cherokee) barrel impact that ?

The question of twist vs barrel length seems to come up only rarely. Barrel makers who make pistol barrels seem to settle on faster rates in the 1:25 or so range. But I don't think that would be a concern in any rifle length barrel.

Just my opinion but I think that twist rate gets overthought. I've shot 110 grains of 2f in a 54 with 1:48 twist with good accuracy. It's surprising what can be discovered if you ignore the "rules". 😀

It's not about the length of barrel. It's a combination of bullet bearing surface and velocity. With RB, the surface that interacts with the rifling is very small so it needs a slower ROT. 1:72 to 1:48, though 1:48 is more an intermediary for RB and conical. With a ROT like say 1:20, a RB won't "grip" the rifling properly and just strip through

Hope that helps.

Latest posts

Back