• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Loading a Maxi-ball

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
I have a T/C Cherokee 45 caliber 1:48 twist and decided to see how maxi balls shoot.. Do I need to put anything between the powder and the ball when I load to get a good seal? By the way, I have a good load worked up for my patch and ball for hunting. I'm just curious to see how these shoot. Thanks !!!

Personally, I have never seen the need to use anything but a lubed Maxi Ball. Accuracy has always been good out of several ML with 1:48 twists.

I do not dispute than many contend they achieve better accuracy with a felt wad or card over the powder, however, I have never seen the need in doing so. Albeit I have not given the wads a fair test at the range. I'm sure it wouldn't hurt a thing to use them.

Habitually, I prefer things more simple and quick with my hunting tools.

I have a T/C Cherokee 45 caliber 1:48 twist and decided to see how maxi balls shoot.. Do I need to put anything between the powder and the ball when I load to get a good seal? By the way, I have a good load worked up for my patch and ball for hunting. I'm just curious to see how these shoot. Thanks !!!
Not necessary to use the wad, but it would not necessarily be a detriment. However, personally, I oppose the use of maxi (or any kind of bullet) for ml hunting. My early experience with a TC 'hawken' and TC maxi balls was scary. In many parts of the country (southern Indiana for me at the time) ml deer season is usually early fall. Meaning, the mornings can be quite cool and temps rise sometimes to low 80's by noon. The barrel steel and lead projectile will expand at different rates and the bore lube can/will get soft. I found my maxi slid down the bore from carrying the rifle with the muzzle pointing down. That required reseating for safe shooting. For me, the possibility of failing to do that and having a disaster put me off of using maxi/mini/etc. bullets for the rest of my ml career with rifles designed for prb use. For the record, my deer killed with round balls ended up just as ded as they would have been with maxis.

Not necessary to use the wad, but it would not necessarily be a detriment. However, personally, I oppose the use of maxi (or any kind of bullet) for ml hunting. My early experience with a TC 'hawken' and TC maxi balls was scary. In many parts of the country (southern Indiana for me at the time) ml deer season is usually early fall. Meaning, the mornings can be quite cool and temps rise sometimes to low 80's by noon. The barrel steel and lead projectile will expand at different rates and the bore lube can/will get soft. I found my maxi slid down the bore from carrying the rifle with the muzzle pointing down. That required reseating for safe shooting. For me, the possibility of failing to do that and having a disaster put me off of using maxi/mini/etc. bullets for the rest of my ml career with rifles designed for prb use. For the record, my deer killed with round balls ended up just as ded as they would have been with maxis.
This is experience that I too have observed. Twice on the spot seeing this moving in the barrel thing. And finding that balls killed deer and elk just as dead and just as fast.

My approach has been "when in doubt, use a bigger ball".

I use a lubed wool wad with maxis in my Renagade. I can get the same accuracy with less powder and it cuts down fouling. Good advice on lubing only the first ring. If you use a lubed wad you can use less powder, a good thing in a Cherokee.

The Hornady GPB slid down the barrel of my .50 so easy that I had to make sure it didn't fall down the breech on its own. Out of several different TC's and Maxi Balls I have never had that happen. Cold weather or hot conditions.

So get a bigger .50 or .54 caliber RB. Got it.
I'm not sure if I meant that cuz I'm not sure what you meant! 🤔 🤣

Anyway, if 50 isn't big enough get a 54 or 58 or 62 or ???? 😀

What I did decide long ago is that if for any reason you think you need a bullet, you don't need anything bigger than a 50 and smaller will do if it's legal.

That's just my opinion though. 🤷

What I did decide long ago is that if for any reason you think you need a bullet, you don't need anything bigger than a 50 and smaller will do if it's legal.

Understood. :)

The top ring is slightly bigger and catches the rifeling. The big bottom lube grove give space for the bottom ring to expand into the rifeling.
I’ve never finished the first box I bought of them as I didn’t find a need

My favorites are all under .50 caliber and .40 and .45 are my favorite rifles.
Back to the OP’s question… I use veggie fiber cards under any flat based bullets. Sometimes I use an oversized (54 in .50 rifle, .50 in a .45 rifle, etc.) wool wad in place of the card wad. Weigh the bullets, use a good lube, and wipe between shots are all helpful.

Be careful when hunting with Maxie's loaded in a clean barrel as they will often work off the powder charge if carried for long periods of time with the muzzle tilted down word. I ringed a Tc barrel with a Maxie in .50 cal. moose hunting in the rain and tilting the barrel down word all day.
Didn't realize it until the next range session and formally good accuracy was nonexistent and I could see the slight bulge in the exterior of the barrel.

Years ago there was an inventive fellow that came up with a common sense bullet that amounted to a maxi with a spherical hind end for a cloth patch. Great penetration, better accuracy at longer ranges, no danger of moving off the powder charge.

Years ago there was an inventive fellow that came up with a common sense bullet that amounted to a maxi with a spherical hind end for a cloth patch. Great penetration, better accuracy at longer ranges, no danger of moving off the powder charge.
I think those were called sugar loaf bullets.

I tried patching maxi balls with thin t shirt material and it worked just fine. Course every time I say that I get told a bunch of reasons why I shouldn't do that. 🤣

I shoot maxis exclusively in all my rifles. Tried wads over powder. Never saw improvement but others have, When hunting I check the load with my rod every time I stop to post up. In decades I've never found a maxi that moved. As far as hunting with a clean barrel, I always pop a couple of caps or even touch off a small charge before loading for hunting.

I shoot maxis exclusively in all my rifles. Tried wads over powder. Never saw improvement but others have, When hunting I check the load with my rod every time I stop to post up. In decades I've never found a maxi that moved. As far as hunting with a clean barrel, I always pop a couple of caps or even touch off a small charge before loading for hunting.
The trouble I have always had with fouling a barrel before loading is moisture absorption and bore flash rust when hunting in the rain all day. Taping the muzzle probably would eliminate or at least slow down this problem though.

I think those were called sugar loaf bullets.

I tried patching maxi balls with thin t shirt material and it worked just fine. Course every time I say that I get told a bunch of reasons why I shouldn't do that. 🤣
LC, sometimes I think you would try to patch a bowl of Cheerios before eating it.

Pretty hard core, bro. :)

Latest posts

Back