• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Cheap & easy de-capper

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

CoyoteJoe

70 Cal.
Reaction score
If you shoot percussion at all you probably have encountered an occasion of wanting to remove a live cap. If the cap fits the nipple tightly it can be a pain to remove. This difficulty has induced some to take the dangerous course of leaving a rifle or gun capped in the vehicle or camp. My own life very nearly ended at age 16 by my dad's 12 gauge loaded into the auto with hammer down on capped nipples. So here is a gadget to remove caps. It costs about nothing and takes but a few minutes to make of a scrap of heavy leather such as a bit of an old belt. In use just press the small hole down over the cap and pull up. Presto you have the cap off the nipple and contained in the leather undamaged and secure for reuse. The small hole is only slightly critical. A number 11 cap has an OD of about .179". The punch I used has an OD of .168" but due to the elasticity of the leather the hole actually measures about .159", thus a tight fit. If you don't have hole punches I'd advise using a 5/32" drill bit. Twist drills make very rough and ragged holes in leather but there is a trick to smooth them. After drilling, reverse the bit in your drill chuck so the smooth shank sticks out. Lightly wet the leather and spin the smooth drill shank in the hole and it will smooth and burnish the hole. For the finger hole I used a 3/4" wad punch but that is totally optional, it works as well without the finger hole.

de-capper.jpg

What a cool deal. On about half my cappers I have to resort to a knife to peel off the caps. Gonna give this one a try, and I thank you.

Thats a cool tool.

I have been using the needle nose pliers on my leatherman. I am always worried I am gonna some how crush the cap and set it off when I have to decap a nipple.

Another trick to "drilling" leather is to clamp it between two thin pieces of wood and drill all three! :hmm:

I usually use my pocket knife under the edge but, I like the idea!

That's one of those things it's so simple you don't even think about it! A loaded capped rifle is not a good idea, and I try to de-cap anytime I am not at the firing line or hunting!

Back