• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Problems I have had with, and thoughts on Pedersolis I have owned .

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Our Puget Sound locals are a bit fishy, from feeding on salmon carcasses up the local rivers. We really light up when the Canadian mallards come down; you can tell 'em by the plumpness, bright yellow feet and the tendency to call "quack, eh" when they're greeting yer decoy spread. Mostly, I'm partial to sprig.
windy
Hunted Puget ducks once and decided corn fed Moses Lake mallards were a bit more tasty and worth the drive.

wm

I wonder how much longer Pedersoli would be interested in sponsoring this site when they get trashed the way they do here.

Well if Pedersoli are reading it, they'd be smart to accept it all as valid Intell and focus on the products Quality control.
I suspect that a significant percentage of their components and fitting are farmed out to sub-contractors.

I have two Pedersolies. A Kentucky flint.45 rifle and pistol. So far, so good. Nothing but good things to say about either.

Well if Pedersoli are reading it, they'd be smart to accept it all as valid Intell and focus on the products Quality control.
I suspect that a significant percentage of their components and fitting are farmed out to sub-contractors.
I do believe that the Pedersoli's are well aware of their manufacturing process and quality control. They do have to balance the manufacturing quality and retail price points. Theya re are also likely well aware that the end users are doing the final quality adjustments to take a very decently functioning firearm to a top performing firearm while keeping the costs while high, more affordable.

Do take a look at Jonathan Butcher's rifle (below) to see what can be done to raise the final quality level by the end user.

There are subtle differences in architecture that give the preference nod to the custom Hawken Rifle based on quality of parts and assembly quality.

You do have a great looking rifle and it will be a very good shooter.

I am always reminded of the story told by Bob Browner, a maker of custom Hawken rifles. At a Contemporary Longrifle Association Show, a distinguished looking gentleman with an Italian accent introduced himself to Bob, Pierangelo Pedersoli. He admired Bob's guns and said his factory could make guns as good as Bob's, but at the necessary price point they wouldn't sell many.

Now then, based on what I can afford to spend, when I walked home with a rifle, it would probably be the Pedersoli if it looked like yours.

Certainly, the Pedersoli rifles can be elevated to overcome some of the performance shortfalls induced to meet price points.

I had been looking for a Hawken type for a while. I had a terrific Lyman GPR, excellent shooter and a virtual tack driver at 50yds, and at the price point, hard to beat.
I just bought this one from a fellow member, a Pedersoli Rocky Mountain Hawken .50 and I have to say it's exceeded my expectations aesthetically. I also like the balance of the rifle, the maple stock is beautiful and I cannot wait to shoot it.

First stop, the range, will update this thread with pics as I go along. Please post your own choice for Hawken-type rifles, production or custom. I love the Hawken!

usEMY28h.jpg

usEMY28h.jpg

ZwDbmA1h.jpg

Why not, I've always had a love for the Italian guns, both black powder muzzleloaders as well as cartridge guns. I have several made by Pedersoli, Uberti (Cimarron), Pietta, Beretta, Franchi, and a B. Rizzini/Sigarms TT45 Aurora 20ga.

Here are some outstanding Pedersoli manufacturing videos of their stock and barrel making, step by step. What I find interesting is, Pedersoli makes every last part in-house right down to the last screw. I have been attending the SHOT Show for many years, and always visit the Pedersoli Booth. Outstanding display of arms, and on several occasions, I've been fortunate to catch Mr. Pierangelo Pedersoli at the booth, and he was always willing to talk about their products and answer questions.

I do believe that the Pedersoli's are well aware of their manufacturing process and quality control. They do have to balance the manufacturing quality and retail price points. Theya re are also likely well aware that the end users are doing the final quality adjustments to take a very decently functioning firearm to a top performing firearm while keeping the costs while high, more affordable.

Do take a look at Jonathan Butcher's rifle (below) to see what can be done to raise the final quality level by the end user.

Certainly, the Pedersoli rifles can be elevated to overcome some of the performance shortfalls induced to meet price points.

I dont believe theres any mitigation when it comes to the ongoing Pedersoli failings, we pay our hard earned for a product that Pedersoli itself promotes as "Superior Quality".
Personally I think that Pedersoli should be exposed as not performing up to its stated standards, why the hell should a customer be expected to make modifications / repairs to a new product when he receives it ?

"The Quality Control systems include ultrasound tests on barrel's material, the resistance tests, the hardness tests, dimensional checks, as well as those of the functioning of the mechanisms and of the statistical production trend........ Pedersoli guns, with regard to mechanical parts, are covered by two-years warranty from the date of purchase"

"The philosophy of Davide Pedersoli was and is to refer to history, offering superior quality reproductions of historical firearms. Today, thanks to our complete guns production autonomy started several years ago, all components required to assemble a gun are manufactured inside the company. The advantage of this is to be able to follow every step from the design and the manufacture of guns with the ultimate result of making models signed Davide Pedersoli famous worldwide for their quality, functionality and ballistic accuracy. Pierangelo Pedersoli"
(Company | Davide Pedersoli)

Had very good luck with Pedersoli. quality is good and consistent. They import wood
and quality varies a lot. Most Italian reproductions have improved since 2000. American
originals can be better--but not always. Some Italian pistols are equal to the originals.
Pedersoli makes great double rifles and shotguns, owned several and are great quality.

why the hell should a customer be expected to make modifications / repairs to a new product when he receives it ?
The 12 gauge SxS Coach gun I got was actually potentially dangerous as shipped. After shooting one barrel the other trigger became randomly inoperable. A barrel charged with about 90 grains of 2F with a trigger that might or might not work could definitely lead to a screw up. This gun sells for over $1000.
The gunsmith at Dixie while offering to fix it seemed to admit it was a problem he knew existed.

As to my Pedersoli Remington Target , I sent pictures to the Pedersoli rep and he told me not to use the gun until Pedersoli responded. Pedersoli after more than a month responded & said they would send me a new bolt which still has not arrived.
I just got an Uberti bolt and filed it slightly and it worked. This gun sells for about $1100.
Both of these situations despite being easily fixed by me are unacceptable. I was looking for a place to express the situation regarding Pedersoli and am happy this thread was started. The QC should have caught both of these problems but no one should have assembled them this way in the first place. One problem can happen but one customer getting 2 problem guns from 2 different retailers is not good. As I’ve said the Dixie gunsmith & the Ped rep both agreed these guns had problems so this is not just a disgruntled customer. I just hope Pedersoli hears about these public discussions. In general, after fixed, I really like the guns As the Romans said ,Caveat Emptor, Let the buyer beware!

Last edited:
As an Italian I apologize for these products, I have several PD pieces and the only one that works properly is the Quigley in 45/120.All the others have been modified to make them work properly.for the money they charge, I think, we would like something more as finishing and after sales. This is my personal thought

As an Italian I apologize for these products, I have several PD pieces and the only one that works properly is the Quigley in 45/120.All the others have been modified to make them work properly.for the money they charge, I think, we would like something more as finishing and after sales. This is my personal thought
Honestly, we don't hold it against all Italians, lol. I love the country, the people, the food and the guns. Keep in mind, most period correct guns need some kind of fiddling to get them right.
Neil

Why not, I've always had a love for the Italian guns, both black powder muzzleloaders as well as cartridge guns. I have several made by Pedersoli, Uberti (Cimarron), Pietta, Beretta, Franchi, and a B. Rizzini/Sigarms TT45 Aurora 20ga.

Here are some outstanding Pedersoli manufacturing videos of their stock and barrel making, step by step. What I find interesting is, Pedersoli makes every last part in-house right down to the last screw. I have been attending the SHOT Show for many years, and always visit the Pedersoli Booth. Outstanding display of arms, and on several occasions, I've been fortunate to catch Mr. Pierangelo Pedersoli at the booth, and he was always willing to talk about their products and answer questions.

Thanks for the videos. Found it very interesting and not what I expected. Don’t know why I expected more “automation” and less “hands on.” Like seeing it.
Nice to see how my four Pedersolis, all outstanding in all regards, were made.

I've always had great service from both Spanish and Italian guns. The only real problem I've had was with a Pedersoli Super Cub I owned over 20 years ago. I've owned other Pedersoli and have always been quite satisfied. This rifle looked really nice, handled very well and was truly accurate. I hunted and killed deer with the rifle for years. However; I bought it and it was a flintlock. From the very start that blasted lock was major headache. I finally got a percussion lock for it and got 100% reliability. I switched locks back and forth and the flint lock did cost me a couple of deer. But I still managed to kill a few with the flint. Still I used the percussion lock the most. That lock forever turned me against imported flintlocks. But one out of several might not mean much but that one lock put a lot of color in my vocabulary.

Latest posts

Back