• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

Problems I have had with, and thoughts on Pedersolis I have owned .

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
if they put a tall front site on from the get go then you just file it to your load
Can't really file down the front sight on the target version. I'm not sure what its called but it has the two wings either side and a coned post with a bead on the sight itself.

I thought about cutting the bead off but at 50 yards I have to have the base of the front sight in the V of the rear sight just to hit on target. So it wouldn't make much difference.

My Jaeger 1/24 Twist 28” Barrel shot a 8Bhn Lee R.E.A.L Bullet extremely well with just Crisco lightly on it. 75gr of 2f Swiss put the factory sites dead on hitting bullseyes at 50 yards- 2” low at 80 yards. Most guys I found use to much powder.
Excellent rifle for $1600 retail price. Yet I paid less. Meat and potatoes hunter rifle
Africa , I just had a look at the Pedersoli web site , the basic Jaegers are 1/24 twist and a 28" barrel , the target versions are a 1/65 twist and a 32 5/16 " barrel , all .54 . How accurate is your rifle with that fast twist and short barrel ?

The issue with mine is that even with a 110gr 2F load it still shoots low at 50 yards. I cannot get the elevation up. I bought it as a 100yd hunting gun and to take on travelling hunts as my longrifles are too long for my hardcase but I need to aim high at 50 just to hit my target.

Attachments

• AB45D7B3-D4A1-4793-9C29-AFFCE854E954.jpeg
    AB45D7B3-D4A1-4793-9C29-AFFCE854E954.jpeg
    111.7 KB · Views: 0
  • 73EEB96D-E5CE-452D-8137-79D4577F4D2A.jpeg
    73EEB96D-E5CE-452D-8137-79D4577F4D2A.jpeg
    132.5 KB · Views: 0
The issue with mine is that even with a 110gr 2F load it still shoots low at 50 yards. I cannot get the elevation up. I bought it as a 100yd hunting gun and to take on travelling hunts as my longrifles are too long for my hardcase but I need to aim high at 50 just to hit my target.
Filing the from sight till it shoots where you want is what I do.

I have two Tryon .50's, a Tryon Creedmore .45, and a Mortimer Whitworth .45 by Pedersoli and they've all been fine. I have had to order a part from Italy and the girl there helped get the payment problem squared away. I think parts can be ordered online now with a US credit card.

Side note, the original post says the Tryon (mortimer?) Whitworth has Whitworth rifling, it doesn't. As I understand it, it's named after a 100 yard shoot in Europe the gun is marketed for.

I haven't read every post in this thread, but I have three Pedersoli guns.

One is a Charleville musket, bought about twelve years ago. It is a nice gun, well put together, but the lock did not spark well and it ate flints. Ignition was poor. I sent the lock to Brad Emig, who tuned it up and it works great now. I also found there was a chip or burr at the bore end of the touchhole. I drilled it out, and now this is a fine musket.

I have a Kuchenreuter target pistol bought used but it appears unfired. I haven't had a chance to shoot it yet, so can't say much other than it looks really good.

The third is an older Pedersoli/Navy Arms M1863 rifle musket which I just recently acquired. Aside from the fact that the bore was much worse than the seller or I first realized. This gun has a few issues... Barrel bands, lock, trigger, stock finish... Not just cosmetic, either. The sear/trigger engagement needed a little work just to make it safe. Maybe I'm spoiled from handling some originals, but this gun is rough. Hopefully, Pedersoli is now putting a little more care into their production than they used to.

Best regards,

Notchy Bob

I don't know of any production guns that come with a decent ramrod.

The Italians that make BP guns ( including management ) are not shooters, and have probably never seen good wooden ramrods, and think they are for cleaning only. They probably do not realize that they need to be able to push fairly tight patched balls down fouled bores also.

Based on the number of Pedersoli muzzle loading firearms that win in European competitions and the pride Pedersoli takes in listing those wins, they do have more than a little involvement with the shooting of muzzle loading guns.
I cant agree more , but you can bet those firearms are not straight out of the box , they would have been carefully selected modified , tuned and generally fettled in to giving exceptional accuracy .

I cant agree more , but you can bet those firearms are not straight out of the box , they would have been carefully selected modified , tuned and generally fettled in to giving exceptional accuracy .
As Col. Munro said in LOTM regarding raiding on the frontier "Aye,.... So"

They are still using a Pedersoli barrel and lock and competing against custom target guns most probably with high end barrels etc.

1, I don't even own a Pedersoli but shot against them in BPCRS competition and they shoot very well (I find the limiting factor in most guns is the nut behind the butt).

2. What ML comes out of the box and is shot with no load development no sight adjustment no tweaks to make it shoot better, I say under one percent, but target shooters of any stripe will try and squeeze every bit of accuracy out of their firearm, that is the game. I would say for serious target shooters EVERY gun has been modified tuned etc.

I have two Tryon .50's, a Tryon Creedmore .45, and a Mortimer Whitworth .45 by Pedersoli and they've all been fine. I have had to order a part from Italy and the girl there helped get the payment problem squared away. I think parts can be ordered online now with a US credit card.

Side note, the original post says the Tryon (mortimer?) Whitworth has Whitworth rifling, it doesn't. As I understand it, it's named after a 100 yard shoot in Europe the gun is marketed for.

CO-rect. The competition is part of the MLAIC system of comps and consists of a number of shots fired at 100 metres.

Latest posts

Back