• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Problems I have had with, and thoughts on Pedersolis I have owned .

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I have owned a few different Pedersoli Muzzle loaders over the years . .

Tryon Deluxe : Ramrod made of some sort of dowel needed replacing , this applies to all Pedersoli's with wooden ram rods . A piece of wood missing from the fore end replaced at factory with a wedge of slightly different wood . Not what I’d expect from a Deluxe version. Agent would not replace the stock . The Tryon is a genuine Plains Rifle , not as romantic as a Hawken but at least as authentic

Charleville 1777 : Frizzen so soft it wouldn’t spark , I hardened it and never had a problem since . Ignition was very slow so I decided to fit a Jim Chambers white lightening flash hole liner . I found the breach plug was too long and the flash hole was drilled into the face of it with a small part of the flash hole showing about 1/64” wide on the face of the plug . I had to Dremel back the face of the breach plug about ¼” and shape it , to get everything to work . I won a National championship with this musket .

Tryon Whitworth : ( Whitworth rifling )Ramrod again , nipple supplied burnt out in about 10 shots because of pressure , needed platinum lined nipples before it would shoot a group without stringing . The sights were adequate but a bit flimsy and I replaced them . otherwise it was very accurate .It seems they no longer make this rifle . I purchased it because it was a match rifle with double set triggers ,

Mortimer 12 ga flintlock : Ramrod again . The gun wouldn’t fire a test shot of powder and cloth . I removed the breach and found that the hole drilled from side to side with the flash hole on one side and the “cleanout screw “ on the other , barely connected with the hole of the patent breach , which had not been drilled right through , there was a x shaped hole about 1/32” connecting the two . I drilled out the unfinished breach and Dremeled away some of the threads to smooth out the chamber . The factory flash hole liner lasted 10 shots before it melted away , the jet of flame was so hot it melted the end of the flint . I replaced it with a white lightening flash hole liner . after all that it was a great shotgun .

Gibbs .40 rifle : A very accurate rifle , better so when Bob Roller re built the lock for me . The sights were adequate but not precise enough I replaced the rear sight with a match grade sight I purchased from England and the front , with a windage adjustable sight form South Africa . Once again there was a problem with nipples burning out , that was fixed with platinum lined ones . The stock finish didn’t last so I re finished it with Truoil . Shortly after I got it shooting very well the only long range range within 4 hours drive closed down .

Zouave 1863 . I brought it cheap ( loaded ) and sold it cheap , It just would not group .

12 Ga double barrel shotgun , Rod again , no real problems but I found when firing the left barrel ,cap splatter on my left arm was most uncomfortable , I think a hammer face redesign would help

The only one I still have is the Charleville 1777 . That one I will never part with . I've had Tadpole since 1987 ,the varnish is coming off the wood so I'll re finish that soon .

Just remembered I have a .45 scout rifle which started life as a flintlock and has been converted to caplock and shortened in both barrel and stock to make a ML for a small child ( I suspect Rudyard did the conversion ) . I was given it and have never shot it , one day I will get a junior family member to shoot it if his mother will let him .
Pedersoli ramrods are junk…If/when I buy a Pedersoli…replace ramrod it usually #1 on the short list.

I currently have 5 Pedersoli’s…They all work just fine, over all performance has been great. Some of them have had their little issues, but never anything severe…like what you’ve described.

.32 calibre percussion BlueRidge is a tack driver out to 50-60 yrds. I replaced the buckhorn rear sight, and the gun shoots great. 32 grains of fffg, under a .311 PRB is just the ticket for this rifle. One day I’ll convert it to flint, but for now, it’s great fun.

.50 calibre percussion BlueRidge is only a descent shooter. To me the only interesting rifle is an accurate rifle. This gun has a beautiful stock, but just not a good shooter, about 3“ groups at 50 yrds. It’s the only Pedersoli that I own that still has its original ramrod, intact, and in perfect condition. That’s how much I shoot this gun. Someday, when I get tired of enjoying the incredible accuracy of my other guns…I’ll sit down again with this gun and try to solve its accuracy riddle. But for now she’s a gun rack queen.

.50 calibre percussion Alamo Rifle was my big game hunting rifle for most of my involvement is this sport of shooting blackpowder. When I first got the gun, I could not get it to shoot under 5” at 50 yrds. I burnished the bore with valve grinding compound on a cleaning patch. Suddenly the gun is a single holer at 50 yrds, and 2“ at 100yrds. Shoots both PRBs and conicals with equal ability.

.75 calibre flintlock Brown Bess carbine had many issues. I got it as a kit from Dixie Gunworks, as a close out special. The biggest problem was a gap between the frizzen and the pan that a cat could crawl threw, and the frizzen threw zero sparks. I sent the lock back to Dixie and when it came back it was perfect, and has been a top performer ever since. Ultimately not a big deal. I’ve taken 2 deer and countless geese with my little pot bellied Bess. Rabbit hunting is a favorite for me with this gun.

20 gauge upland double barrel kit shotgun. I picked up this gun used at a blackpowder gun store and has been money well spent ever since. It’s a light manuverable gun, great on doves, quail, pheasants, rabbits, and squirrels. I’ve taken teal and wood ducks during the fall early duck season with this sweet little gun. Never had a problem, never had an issue…original ramrod was no where to be seen when I bought the gun.

I like my Pedersoli’s very much. I’m currently looking for a 10 gauge Pedersoli double barrel, made back in the 70’s with brown barrels...that’s going to be my next Peredesoli purchase.

I have a Pedersoli Kentucky 50 cal. flint. I bought this gun over 20 years ago. It was old when I bought it, the owner told me. It was accurate out to 10 yds off a bench. I have to tinker or I am not happy. I disassembled it and gave it a thorough cleaning. I noticed that the touch hole in the liner was tiny. I bought a new liner and coned the inside with my drill and Swiss files. Most of my hunting companions couldn't believe how fast it fired. The half cock notch on the tumbler sheared off, so I welded up the tumbler and used Casenit on it. I had to put a new frizzen on it, and a couple of years later the half cock notch broke again. I wanted to buy a new lock but Flintlocks Etc. said that Pedersoli stopped making that lock and I was out of luck. I found another lock that is close in size and will try to fit it on.

I have 2 Pedersoli guns..one is a KY flint & the other is the trade gun.
The ramrods are junk & break easily. I replaced both with fiberglass rods.
Haven't broke one of those yet.
Take your fiberglass rod, take out your barrel, and somewhere it won't be seen, rub that ramrod back and forth on the steel a couple dozen times. I think you could saw a barrel in half with those if you worked on it awhile. Think about what that can be doing inside the barrel.

Pedersoli ramrods are junk…If/when I buy a Pedersoli…replace ramrod it usually #1 on the short list.

I currently have 5 Pedersoli’s…They all work just fine, over all performance has been great. Some of them have had their little issues, but never anything severe…like what you’ve described.

.32 calibre percussion BlueRidge is a tack driver out to 50-60 yrds. I replaced the buckhorn rear sight, and the gun shoots great. 32 grains of fffg, under a .311 PRB is just the ticket for this rifle. One day I’ll convert it to flint, but for now, it’s great fun.

.50 calibre percussion BlueRidge is only a descent shooter. To me the only interesting rifle is an accurate rifle. This gun has a beautiful stock, but just not a good shooter, about 3“ groups at 50 yrds. It’s the only Pedersoli that I own that still has its original ramrod, intact, and in perfect condition. That’s how much I shoot this gun. Someday, when I get tired of enjoying the incredible accuracy of my other guns…I’ll sit down again with this gun and try to solve its accuracy riddle. But for now she’s a gun rack queen.

.50 calibre percussion Alamo Rifle was my big game hunting rifle for most of my involvement is this sport of shooting blackpowder. When I first got the gun, I could not get it to shoot under 5” at 50 yrds. I burnished the bore with valve grinding compound on a cleaning patch. Suddenly the gun is a single holer at 50 yrds, and 2“ at 100yrds. Shoots both PRBs and conicals with equal ability.

.75 calibre flintlock Brown Bess carbine had many issues. I got it as a kit from Dixie Gunworks, as a close out special. The biggest problem was a gap between the frizzen and the pan that a cat could crawl threw, and the frizzen threw zero sparks. I sent the lock back to Dixie and when it came back it was perfect, and has been a top performer ever since. Ultimately not a big deal. I’ve taken 2 deer and countless geese with my little pot bellied Bess. Rabbit hunting is a favorite for me with this gun.

20 gauge upland double barrel kit shotgun. I picked up this gun used at a blackpowder gun store and has been money well spent ever since. It’s a light manuverable gun, great on doves, quail, pheasants, rabbits, and squirrels. I’ve taken teal and wood ducks during the fall early duck season with this sweet little gun. Never had a problem, never had an issue…original ramrod was no where to be seen when I bought the gun.

I like my Pedersoli’s very much. I’m currently looking for a 10 gauge Pedersoli double barrel, made back in the 70’s with brown barrels...that’s going to be my next Peredesoli purchase.
great information thank you. For sure, my 2 Pedersoli hawkens are better quality than my Lyman hawkens,

I've got a Frontier in .32 and a Kentucky in .45 and like both. Some previous owner put TC Hawken sights on the Kentucky, but that's not Pedersoli's fault. I have a buckhorn rear and nickel silver Kentucky front coming from Dixie today. I don't know if I'll shoot any better, but it will sure improve the looks! I think the quality of both of mine is equal to or better than any of the modern American made guns I've bought in the last decade or so.

I have owned 5 Pedersoli guns.

The first was a P1858. This was very early production - right after Pedersoli bought out Euroarms. It is a 3-digit serial number. Unfortunately, you can tell that Pedersoli was just ramping up production.

When I pulled the barrel, there were a lot of brass shavings in the barrel channel and behind the lock. When I pulled the trigger guard I could tell why. The tang screw hole had been evidently mis-drilled the first time at an incorrect angle, so to fix it, they just re-drilled over the old hole. So it is kind of an oval hole now. But, the tang screw does thread in and seems to hold.

In addition, you could tell they were using up a lot of old Euroarms castings. The rear sight was not a machined part but a casting. The bridle still had P-H cast into it from the Euroarms parts evidently copied from Parker Hale parts. The springs were all new-made however and you can see that Pedersoli makes good springs. The gun shoots great with an RCBS-500M sized to .578 with 60 grains of 2F Goex. The only reason I don't shoot it is I have other guns that use less lead and less powder. But my son turns 14 in October and so this will be his musket for N-SSA competition.

My second gun was a Pedersoli P1853. By this point they had fully ramped up production and the quality and parts were all top-notch. Nice machined rear sight, and beautiful lock internals.

I traded this gun for a Pedersoli 1859 Sharps Carbine. The quality of the gun is fine. It's a good shooter (once I found the trick about bore-riding bullets), and has a quality lock. Once the loading lever spring cracked after a few years of use but this is a common problem with the Sharps.

The biggest problem with the Pedersoli Sharps is they do not understand how the chamber sleeve is supposed to work. There is a "myth" on the internet that the chamber sleeve of the percussion Sharps was designed and/or should slide around in the cavity in the barrel in which it rests. This is false. On original Sharps, this chamber (the "buching" (bushing)) could indeed be adjusted to "headspace" firmly (but not too firmly) against the breech block face. A special tool ("buching tool") was inserted from the muzzle and could adjust the position of the chamber sleeve. So basically it was a press-fit and adjusted by an armorer until it bore nicely against the breech block, making a good gas-tight seal.

On the Pedersoli version, the chamber sleeve is loose. You can slide it in and out of the barrel with your finger. It won't fall out the back of the gun as it's too large in diameter to pass through the loading gate in the receiver. Naturally, this does not press firmly against the gas check plate, so the action leaks gas like crazy. You can get off about 10 shots before the action locks up due to fouling.

Pedersoli has attempted their version of the Sam Dobbins o-ring modification. Behind their gas check plate is an o-ring sandwiched between the gas check plate and the breech block. But, as above, it doesn't help. The breech leaks gas like a sieve.

Larry Flees is the man for Sharps work. I sent the gun to him and he removes the sliding chamber and installs a press-fit chamber sleeve that is adjusted to properly bear against his own replacement gas check plate. This allows the gun to essentially shoot indefinitely with no change in the working of the action. But the job will cost you about $400 with shipping to/from to get done. Given the cost of new Pedersoli 1859 carbines, plus the cost of rework, you are now easily into the price range of a US-made Shiloh 1863 Sharps. I have just ordered one - now to wait 2 years to receive it.

Another problem with the Pedersoli Sharps is the fire channel through the breech block is a large "Z". Where the drill bits intersect each other making this fire channel results in some nooks and crannies that absorb some of the cap blast, which can result in misfires. Larry will also rework the breech block to eliminate these nooks and crannies and this greatly improves the reliability of ignition.

My next Pedersoli acquisition was a Pedersoli Pennsylvania flintlock in .50. It seems to be very good quality and I have no problems with it. My very first NMLRA match I got 2nd place in the offhand category I entered.

My next Pedersoli was a Brown Bess. It seems that the lock mortise was not set in deeply enough and so the back of the lock plate has about a .03" gap between it and the barrel, which could allow powder to fall behind the lock plate which could result in a detonation behind the lock. I initially filled it with a lead shim and then JB Weld epoxy. On my to-do list is to strip the stock and set the mortise in deeper and eliminate the JB Weld. This will also give me the opportunity to strip the polyurethane finish (I think?) which gives the stock an unnatural sheen and slick feel. The Pennsylvania has this also. I prefer just an oil finish.

I am generally a fan of Pedersoli. I feel that they are the top Italian long arm reproduction maker in the world today. The other being Chiappa/Armisport. I have an Armisport M1842 and it has been pretty good but the lock internals were a bit soft and I had to re-grind and re-harden the sear. If you want a replica American Civil War long arm today, your choices are basically Pedersoli or Chiappa/Armisport. Shilo Sharps and Henry Repeating Arms in the US make a couple of niche Civil War era guns.

I have noticed that there is a lot of hit-or-miss quality reported by owners of Italian guns (and this includes Uberti and Pietta for revolvers). I myself have noticed spotty quality issues with revolvers. For example, a Pietta Spiller and Burr had the barrel over-rotated so the top barrel flat was not horizontal, resulting in a canted front sight post. I backed the barrel off a few degrees to fix this. Other guns have had poorly-staked dovetailed items, like the loading lever catch. I purchased most of mine through Cabela's (they used to have great sales) or MidwayUSA. I have often wondered why Cabela's/Midway could sell the "same guns" for much cheaper than Cimarron or Taylor's & Co or Dixie Gun works. I chalked it up to the buying power of the "big box stores". But I now am beginning to wonder if some stores are paying more for higher-quality deliveries, whereas some stores are paying less for "consumer grade" deliveries. I have read on the internet (hah!) that the Indian gun-like reproductions are sold this way - you make big dollar orders and you can get higher quality stuff than if you order smaller orders.

I know my lasts revolver purchase was right before Covid. I bought a Remington New Model Army from Pietta through their US distributor - EMF Company. It is an absolutely fantastic shooter and I use it in competition regularly. This was the first gun I had bought "direct from Pietta" instead of through Cabela's/Midway. This makes me wonder again if there are not quality differences depending on what/who is ordering the inventory.

Of course now it's almost impossible to find any Italian imported firearms at in stock anywhere at all. I know Italy was hit hard by Covid. I have read on the internet (hah!) that they lost a lot of gunmaking people. I have no idea if that is true but this arena has always been the province of old men and they were the prime victims of Covid.

There's no doubt that nothing matches the quality of original guns. I was astonished when I learned that years ago. I figured "modern" machining, metallurgy, and heat treating would result in much higher quality today. But no. I just disassembled an 1862 Colt Contract lock a few nights ago. The precision of fit between all the parts is stupendous. Tolerances were of no concern to them as each part was hand-fitted to be exactly right. Even the fit of the trunions on the stirrup exactly fit the holes in the stirrup arm of the tumbler. On most reproductions this is a very sloppy fit because functionally it doesn't really matter.

Also the heat-treating on the originals is second-to-none. Part of the reason I think heat treating has been historically shoddy with the reproductions has been alluded to in this thread already. I think the manufacturers did not consider that these guns would be fired as often and rigorously as modern firearms are. I think they know that a lot of people buying these guns either shoot them once and decide they are too much trouble so they live on a wall somewhere as a decoration, or they are brought out once a year for primitive a week of hunting season. Either way if they are shot 100 times that would be an outlier. Of course a competition shooter like me might put 1,000-2,000 rounds a year through their guns and so we notice bad heat treating on tumblers and sears rather quickly.

Then too, historical gun part makers in period were actually fined for bad parts they made. It was called mulcting. So there was a large incentive as a gun craftsman at a factory 150 years ago to do a good job because it came out of your paycheck if you did not.

Anyway that's my rambling on the subject.

I have owned 5 Pedersoli guns.

The first was a P1858. This was very early production - right after Pedersoli bought out Euroarms. It is a 3-digit serial number. Unfortunately, you can tell that Pedersoli was just ramping up production.

When I pulled the barrel, there were a lot of brass shavings in the barrel channel and behind the lock. When I pulled the trigger guard I could tell why. The tang screw hole had been evidently mis-drilled the first time at an incorrect angle, so to fix it, they just re-drilled over the old hole. So it is kind of an oval hole now. But, the tang screw does thread in and seems to hold.

In addition, you could tell they were using up a lot of old Euroarms castings. The rear sight was not a machined part but a casting. The bridle still had P-H cast into it from the Euroarms parts evidently copied from Parker Hale parts. The springs were all new-made however and you can see that Pedersoli makes good springs. The gun shoots great with an RCBS-500M sized to .578 with 60 grains of 2F Goex. The only reason I don't shoot it is I have other guns that use less lead and less powder. But my son turns 14 in October and so this will be his musket for N-SSA competition.

My second gun was a Pedersoli P1853. By this point they had fully ramped up production and the quality and parts were all top-notch. Nice machined rear sight, and beautiful lock internals.

I traded this gun for a Pedersoli 1859 Sharps Carbine. The quality of the gun is fine. It's a good shooter (once I found the trick about bore-riding bullets), and has a quality lock. Once the loading lever spring cracked after a few years of use but this is a common problem with the Sharps.

The biggest problem with the Pedersoli Sharps is they do not understand how the chamber sleeve is supposed to work. There is a "myth" on the internet that the chamber sleeve of the percussion Sharps was designed and/or should slide around in the cavity in the barrel in which it rests. This is false. On original Sharps, this chamber (the "buching" (bushing)) could indeed be adjusted to "headspace" firmly (but not too firmly) against the breech block face. A special tool ("buching tool") was inserted from the muzzle and could adjust the position of the chamber sleeve. So basically it was a press-fit and adjusted by an armorer until it bore nicely against the breech block, making a good gas-tight seal.

On the Pedersoli version, the chamber sleeve is loose. You can slide it in and out of the barrel with your finger. It won't fall out the back of the gun as it's too large in diameter to pass through the loading gate in the receiver. Naturally, this does not press firmly against the gas check plate, so the action leaks gas like crazy. You can get off about 10 shots before the action locks up due to fouling.

Pedersoli has attempted their version of the Sam Dobbins o-ring modification. Behind their gas check plate is an o-ring sandwiched between the gas check plate and the breech block. But, as above, it doesn't help. The breech leaks gas like a sieve.

Larry Flees is the man for Sharps work. I sent the gun to him and he removes the sliding chamber and installs a press-fit chamber sleeve that is adjusted to properly bear against his own replacement gas check plate. This allows the gun to essentially shoot indefinitely with no change in the working of the action. But the job will cost you about $400 with shipping to/from to get done. Given the cost of new Pedersoli 1859 carbines, plus the cost of rework, you are now easily into the price range of a US-made Shiloh 1863 Sharps. I have just ordered one - now to wait 2 years to receive it.

Another problem with the Pedersoli Sharps is the fire channel through the breech block is a large "Z". Where the drill bits intersect each other making this fire channel results in some nooks and crannies that absorb some of the cap blast, which can result in misfires. Larry will also rework the breech block to eliminate these nooks and crannies and this greatly improves the reliability of ignition.

My next Pedersoli acquisition was a Pedersoli Pennsylvania flintlock in .50. It seems to be very good quality and I have no problems with it. My very first NMLRA match I got 2nd place in the offhand category I entered.

My next Pedersoli was a Brown Bess. It seems that the lock mortise was not set in deeply enough and so the back of the lock plate has about a .03" gap between it and the barrel, which could allow powder to fall behind the lock plate which could result in a detonation behind the lock. I initially filled it with a lead shim and then JB Weld epoxy. On my to-do list is to strip the stock and set the mortise in deeper and eliminate the JB Weld. This will also give me the opportunity to strip the polyurethane finish (I think?) which gives the stock an unnatural sheen and slick feel. The Pennsylvania has this also. I prefer just an oil finish.

I am generally a fan of Pedersoli. I feel that they are the top Italian long arm reproduction maker in the world today. The other being Chiappa/Armisport. I have an Armisport M1842 and it has been pretty good but the lock internals were a bit soft and I had to re-grind and re-harden the sear. If you want a replica American Civil War long arm today, your choices are basically Pedersoli or Chiappa/Armisport. Shilo Sharps and Henry Repeating Arms in the US make a couple of niche Civil War era guns.

I have noticed that there is a lot of hit-or-miss quality reported by owners of Italian guns (and this includes Uberti and Pietta for revolvers). I myself have noticed spotty quality issues with revolvers. For example, a Pietta Spiller and Burr had the barrel over-rotated so the top barrel flat was not horizontal, resulting in a canted front sight post. I backed the barrel off a few degrees to fix this. Other guns have had poorly-staked dovetailed items, like the loading lever catch. I purchased most of mine through Cabela's (they used to have great sales) or MidwayUSA. I have often wondered why Cabela's/Midway could sell the "same guns" for much cheaper than Cimarron or Taylor's & Co or Dixie Gun works. I chalked it up to the buying power of the "big box stores". But I now am beginning to wonder if some stores are paying more for higher-quality deliveries, whereas some stores are paying less for "consumer grade" deliveries. I have read on the internet (hah!) that the Indian gun-like reproductions are sold this way - you make big dollar orders and you can get higher quality stuff than if you order smaller orders.

I know my lasts revolver purchase was right before Covid. I bought a Remington New Model Army from Pietta through their US distributor - EMF Company. It is an absolutely fantastic shooter and I use it in competition regularly. This was the first gun I had bought "direct from Pietta" instead of through Cabela's/Midway. This makes me wonder again if there are not quality differences depending on what/who is ordering the inventory.

Of course now it's almost impossible to find any Italian imported firearms at in stock anywhere at all. I know Italy was hit hard by Covid. I have read on the internet (hah!) that they lost a lot of gunmaking people. I have no idea if that is true but this arena has always been the province of old men and they were the prime victims of Covid.

There's no doubt that nothing matches the quality of original guns. I was astonished when I learned that years ago. I figured "modern" machining, metallurgy, and heat treating would result in much higher quality today. But no. I just disassembled an 1862 Colt Contract lock a few nights ago. The precision of fit between all the parts is stupendous. Tolerances were of no concern to them as each part was hand-fitted to be exactly right. Even the fit of the trunions on the stirrup exactly fit the holes in the stirrup arm of the tumbler. On most reproductions this is a very sloppy fit because functionally it doesn't really matter.

Also the heat-treating on the originals is second-to-none. Part of the reason I think heat treating has been historically shoddy with the reproductions has been alluded to in this thread already. I think the manufacturers did not consider that these guns would be fired as often and rigorously as modern firearms are. I think they know that a lot of people buying these guns either shoot them once and decide they are too much trouble so they live on a wall somewhere as a decoration, or they are brought out once a year for primitive a week of hunting season. Either way if they are shot 100 times that would be an outlier. Of course a competition shooter like me might put 1,000-2,000 rounds a year through their guns and so we notice bad heat treating on tumblers and sears rather quickly.

Then too, historical gun part makers in period were actually fined for bad parts they made. It was called mulcting. So there was a large incentive as a gun craftsman at a factory 150 years ago to do a good job because it came out of your paycheck if you did not.

Anyway that's my rambling on the subject.
I enjoy my blackpowder firearms…nice ramble. Very fun to read…

I have a Pedersoli Harper's Ferry pistol. It's a decent gun, but not flawless? IMHO, Pedersolis are somewhat overpriced for what you get.

I've got a Pedersoli sharps, bought used but looks new - possibly never fired it looks that new. The rear ladder sight, where the ladder pivots up, wasn't drilled square, resulting in the ladder leaning to the side when raised. Eyeballing the holes for the pivot pin, it's easy to see one is higher than the other. I contacted Pedersoli asking if there was any possibility of exchanging for a good one since it's obviously a manufacturing defect. The response was something to the effect - it's way past any warranty period and it's anyone's guess what it's been through since then. I thought perhaps they'd ask for photos and possibly offer a new one at a discount. Fat chance!

Just got a Early American jaeger .54 - great flintlock hunter,great rifle. Lock may need a lil tuning

I’ve got another Pedersoli, my favorite… .58 Double- exceptionally accurate with various combinations.

Africa , I just had a look at the Pedersoli web site , the basic Jaegers are 1/24 twist and a 28" barrel , the target versions are a 1/65 twist and a 32 5/16 " barrel , all .54 . How accurate is your rifle with that fast twist and short barrel ?

I owned a Jaeger for a while and never had an issue. Here’s the last target I shot with it prior to selling it:
37086002-42EB-4347-A921-20909F130824.jpeg

I sold it to buy a Mortimer, which shoots as well.

I owned a Jaeger for a while and never had an issue. Here’s the last target I shot with it prior to selling it:
View attachment 149982
I sold it to buy a Mortimer, which shoots as well.

The issue with mine is that even with a 110gr 2F load it still shoots low at 50 yards. I cannot get the elevation up. I bought it as a 100yd hunting gun and to take on travelling hunts as my longrifles are too long for my hardcase but I need to aim high at 50 just to hit my target.

I've got a Pedersoli sharps, bought used but looks new - possibly never fired it looks that new. The rear ladder sight, where the ladder pivots up, wasn't drilled square, resulting in the ladder leaning to the side when raised. Eyeballing the holes for the pivot pin, it's easy to see one is higher than the other. I contacted Pedersoli asking if there was any possibility of exchanging for a good one since it's obviously a manufacturing defect. The response was something to the effect - it's way past any warranty period and it's anyone's guess what it's been through since then. I thought perhaps they'd ask for photos and possibly offer a new one at a discount. Fat chance!

A few years back three of us went to a well-known major BP dealer here in UK to look at a Sharps rifle with him, and get the chance to stock up on necessities that were hard to find where we live. As the guy looking to see the Sharps had a .45-70 Govt authorised on his firearms certificate, that's the calibre of the rifle he had to buy - not any other. We looked at three - including a Quigley version, priced here in UK at what was then knocking on $4500, maybe more. I was not impressed by what I saw, folks, I have to say. None of the three were up to the hanger-price, IMO, with fake-looking colour case hardening that looked like it had been applied, not developed into the surface.

We left about an hour later, with me spending a bunch of money on musket caps, two new range rods and a couple of bullet moulds. He came home with a lovely Uberti cartridge-shooting Rolling Block for half the price of the Pedersoli version, that the previous owner had carefully toned-down the usual bowling-ball glossy stock finish. There are a good few Sharps in our club, and as one of them is a .54cal Shiloh paper cartridge shooter, we have an easy comparison maker right there.

I'm sure you guys all know this already, but unless you have the real deal, no replication comes within a mile of the Shiloh version.

The issue with mine is that even with a 110gr 2F load it still shoots low at 50 yards. I cannot get the elevation up. I bought it as a 100yd hunting gun and to take on travelling hunts as my longrifles are too long for my hardcase but I need to aim high at 50 just to hit my target.
Change the sights?????
A taller rear sight should fix this.

Shouldn't have to on a gun that retails for $3500 is my point.

I do not own any production guns so I do not know if this is normal or not, maybe others can chime in but...

I would think it would be impossible for Pedersoli to know where your chosen powder, patch and ball load would impact the target versus someone else's bigger or smaller ball, thinner or thicker patch, different lube and larger or smaller powder charge.

Also, many times two different people hold a gun differently and a perfectly adjusted gun for one will impact the target in a different spot for the other.

I always assume when I get a new rifle with fixed sights that I will have to drift and file on them after I find the smallest grouping combination.

I do not own any production guns so I do not know if this is normal or not, maybe others can chime in but...

I would think it would be impossible for Pedersoli to know where your chosen powder, patch and ball load would impact the target versus someone else's bigger or smaller ball, thinner or thicker patch, different lube and larger or smaller powder charge.

Also, many times two different people hold a gun differently and a perfectly adjusted gun for one will impact the target in a different spot for the other.

I always assume when I get a new rifle with fixed sights that I will have to drift and file on them after I find the smallest grouping combination.
if they put a tall front site on from the get go then you just file it to your load

Latest posts

Back