• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Problems I have had with, and thoughts on Pedersolis I have owned .

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

DuncNZ

54 Cal.
Reaction score
I have owned a few different Pedersoli Muzzle loaders over the years . .

Tryon Deluxe : Ramrod made of some sort of dowel needed replacing , this applies to all Pedersoli's with wooden ram rods . A piece of wood missing from the fore end replaced at factory with a wedge of slightly different wood . Not what I’d expect from a Deluxe version. Agent would not replace the stock . The Tryon is a genuine Plains Rifle , not as romantic as a Hawken but at least as authentic

Charleville 1777 : Frizzen so soft it wouldn’t spark , I hardened it and never had a problem since . Ignition was very slow so I decided to fit a Jim Chambers white lightening flash hole liner . I found the breach plug was too long and the flash hole was drilled into the face of it with a small part of the flash hole showing about 1/64” wide on the face of the plug . I had to Dremel back the face of the breach plug about ¼” and shape it , to get everything to work . I won a National championship with this musket .

Tryon Whitworth : ( Whitworth rifling )Ramrod again , nipple supplied burnt out in about 10 shots because of pressure , needed platinum lined nipples before it would shoot a group without stringing . The sights were adequate but a bit flimsy and I replaced them . otherwise it was very accurate .It seems they no longer make this rifle . I purchased it because it was a match rifle with double set triggers ,

Mortimer 12 ga flintlock : Ramrod again . The gun wouldn’t fire a test shot of powder and cloth . I removed the breach and found that the hole drilled from side to side with the flash hole on one side and the “cleanout screw “ on the other , barely connected with the hole of the patent breach , which had not been drilled right through , there was a x shaped hole about 1/32” connecting the two . I drilled out the unfinished breach and Dremeled away some of the threads to smooth out the chamber . The factory flash hole liner lasted 10 shots before it melted away , the jet of flame was so hot it melted the end of the flint . I replaced it with a white lightening flash hole liner . after all that it was a great shotgun .

Gibbs .40 rifle : A very accurate rifle , better so when Bob Roller re built the lock for me . The sights were adequate but not precise enough I replaced the rear sight with a match grade sight I purchased from England and the front , with a windage adjustable sight form South Africa . Once again there was a problem with nipples burning out , that was fixed with platinum lined ones . The stock finish didn’t last so I re finished it with Truoil . Shortly after I got it shooting very well the only long range range within 4 hours drive closed down .

Zouave 1863 . I brought it cheap ( loaded ) and sold it cheap , It just would not group .

12 Ga double barrel shotgun , Rod again , no real problems but I found when firing the left barrel ,cap splatter on my left arm was most uncomfortable , I think a hammer face redesign would help

The only one I still have is the Charleville 1777 . That one I will never part with . I've had Tadpole since 1987 ,the varnish is coming off the wood so I'll re finish that soon .

Just remembered I have a .45 scout rifle which started life as a flintlock and has been converted to caplock and shortened in both barrel and stock to make a ML for a small child ( I suspect Rudyard did the conversion ) . I was given it and have never shot it , one day I will get a junior family member to shoot it if his mother will let him .

Good of you to take the time to post all of that. I only own (1) Ped. which is a Kentucky pistol. Thw workmanship seems to be very good to the point that I wouldn't have expected to hear of your quality issues but I also do not have any where near your experience with ML's The only issue I've had is a factory trigger pull I can only estimate at 12-16 lbs. I've corrected that a bit to about 4-6 lb. I will say after looking at the factory rod, I used my ball starter.

Back