• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

CCI and me, it's over

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
CCI caps let me down for the last time today.
I have a tin I was trying to use up today and I got 3 duds. 2 of them in a row! And they had compound in them when I put them on the nipple.
Went back to the shooting box and dug out my remington caps and no more duds. Them CCI caps are in the trash can. It is over between us CCI.

maybe save them for range work????? caps are getting hard to find @ least here in SE Tn :(

Yes if you pop a couple before you load, use them for that. I've never had problems with CCI, they have been my favorite but then again I haven't bought any in quite a while.

I too have not had problems with CCI's. Do you think it could be due to contamination or storage?
I store all of my caps in the factory cans since I have always if dampness in a capper would lead to problems. A story issue could have been in transport or at the retailer. Just thinking! Geo. T.

they are less than a year old and have sat in my possibles bag in my bedroom just like the other caps I have
I have an old tin of #12's that has been around for a very long time and I can throw one of them on a nipple and it will fire a rifle right now. I'd put 10 bucks on it. So I am not impressed with the cci ones.
I do have a brand new tin of cci magnum caps I am not throwing out as I have not had a single failure with them. But them normal issue cci caps have had so many failures for me over the last 6 months I have had it. I shouldn't have three dud caps in a tin, let alone finding 3 in a period of 10 minutes.

I've literally shot THOUSANDS of CCI caps and have had only a couple of duds (one of which I can certainly attribute to me dropping the cap in the wet grass). I'm not saying that you couldn't have received a bad batch. I wonder if the tin, that the caps are stored, in isn't drawing moisture somehow?

I also have been using CCI for years with NO failures to fire. I have about 2500 CCI caps that were given to me by a fellow shooter who was having multiple failures on his rifle, a TC Hawken. I think the problem is probably inherit with a coil spring lock.

I have only used CCI caps as that what I can find around here. Out of all the caps I have fired have only had couple duds and those were from some old caps that I got from a women my wife works with that had belonged to her dad.

I shoot rocks mostly but with caps I shoot what I can get and ccis are it in this area.I haven't bought any in a while since I bought 5000 a couple years ago.

I know that it is important to have faith in your set up. There is no reason to start a trigger squeeze wondering if the darned thing is going to fire! For some reason a while back I bought a bunch of CCI Mag. caps and that is all I use on rifles. Remington # 10's get the nod on revolvers! Geo. T.

I have shot thousands of CCI ,reminton, and winchester caps as well as my "hunting" RWS caps. While any brand can have failures. I have got good results using caps others gave up on. I find that having a sharp edge on the nipple and a "square hitting " hammer are very important on any brand!

I prefer Remingtons over CCI anyday. And if I can find RWS I'll use those first also. I will not ever (unless SHTF) use CCI musket caps. They are too dangerous. CCI are banned at most civil war events due to them coming apart and injuring others nearby( I know this by personal experience, nothing like a cap shard in your eyebrow near an eye). At civil war events cap boxes and cartridge boxes are examined for safety issues.

The problem that i have with CCI is that the 10's are to tight and do not snap reliably because of the tight fit. Have not had a problem with the 11's Tried some 11's CCI caps on revolvers but they are to loose.

ohio ramrod said:
I have shot thousands of CCI ,reminton, and winchester caps as well as my "hunting" RWS caps. While any brand can have failures. I have got good results using caps others gave up on. I find that having a sharp edge on the nipple and a "square hitting " hammer are very important on any brand!
At the risk inherent with mixing metaphors :doh: , I think you hit the nail on the head here. In well over 35 years of use the only time I have had failures with CCI caps was when they were used on nipples in poor condition, eg. the old CVA stainless steel nipples that would mushroom with ease. Once they were dressed with a file or preferably, replaced, the problem went away.

Anybody who wants to get rid of their CCI caps can send them to me. I'll dispose of them in an environmentally acceptable manner and whisper a prayer of thanks in the name of the sender while doing so. :grin:

Acorn Mush is right. I always bought Remingtons
#10 also CCI's when I saw the problem I chucked
a nipple in a drill and emeryed it to size and
never had a problem...I too will gladly accept
all the CCI's anyone wants to send...
Wulf

Just bought 4 tins of #11 CCI caps at the local Gunshop. $4.99 a Tin...getting more and more expensive. :idunno:

4.99 a tin is cheap. Gander Mountain wants 6.99. This in Southeastern Wi. I use CCI,Remingtons, RWS or what ever I can get. I got a good buy on #10, so I took the nipple down for a good fit like wulf did and they work great. Mark

Back