• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

CCI and me, it's over

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
mageckman said:
I don't blame ya for gettin rid of the CCI's. Took a minimum of two hammer drops to set them off.I think their quality control has problems or is nonexistent anymore. I was told it was the gun, not the caps.I did all the suggestions and no improvement. I changed cap brands, and no more problems. I even tried them on another rifle I have and still had problems.

That is strange that they all went off but needed two strikes to seat them on your nipple. But it isn't a nipple fit or mainspring issue but a quality control issue? I think not.
Ok, I suspect that your gun may be Italian, just a guess as I have yet to have a complete failure to fire, they went off the second time, with my two GPR's and a Cabela's Hawken, all Investarms made with CCI caps. I suspect that there is a fit issue, at least with mine as all 13 of my TC's have no problem with them.

Brian, its not an Italian CVA. Its one of the early models from the 70's, low numbers on an American made barrel. I have had the rifle for 25 years. Never had problems with it til the last year or so. I have shot CCI almost exclusively through it since the late 80's. This has been a problem for about the last year or so. I thought it was the gun too. But when you have tried every thing that I have, and nothing worked except changing brands... I have even tried them on another rifle I have here. Same problem. I am not the only one who is having problems with CCI's caps anymore.Several of the guys at my local gun club are having problems and there are some on the NMLRA group on Facebook who are having the same problems. I could see it being one gun, but many? I don't buy it. And I don't plan on buying anymore CCI's.

mageckman,
I do not have a choice in caps except during primative deer season at $7.50 a tin (Remington), and that is why I have tried to sell off my Investarms rifles because they will fire the CCI's religiously(every second strike). It is the main reason that I swear by my TC's while I would much rather use my Cabela's 58 cal Hawken that literally puts em through one hole with the first strike being a 'practice' shot.

Aren't the CVA's Spanish?

Brian, Yep, CVA is Spanish, or at least they were for awhile. They started out being made here in the USA. I don't remember whether they went to Italy or not.
I do understand about not having much choice in caps. All I can find around here local is the CCI. I had to make a special trip today to a show to get some RWS tins. Hopefully that solves any problems with ignition. I just need a cap that is gonna fire reliably, not at a minimum of two or more strikes to get it to fire. It has made me a steadier shooter though. I don't know whether it will fire on the first squeeze or not, so I have learned to stay on target and keep steady.

I have never had problems with CCI caps but did have one tin of Remingtons in which 2 or 3 caps had no "stuffy go boom" inside :rotf: That said, I want to move UP to a flintlock!

Back