• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

By request, Loooong range shoot...

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Shooting flint rifles at such ranges is a blast. Utilizing long range vernier sights one is always "on" the target while the bbl changes in elevation and windage. However, using open fixed sights on a flint rifle one is always sighting "off" the intended target.

If the wind is up and down it gets really interesting. As Many Klatch alluded his .54 did much better in such conditions than my .50 but we were both pleased with the results and look forward to another test session of same.

I wish I had a 400 yard range available so I could give this a try. All I can shoot is 200 yards around here. :(

Maybe this Fall we do a weekend at Fship and shoot 400 yard targets, drink beer and tell lies. Maybe you should extend the ending time for this match to the end of the year. It is hard to find a 400 yard range.

Many Klatch

Maybe you should extend the ending time for this match to the end of the year.

Maybe, seein' as we now have you and Lazarus that have been the only ones so far to turn in a target. Maybe some extra time would be a good thing. I'll do it! :thumbsup:

Will you guys be at the Fall Friendship shoot? We'll have to talk about that get-together for a 400 yard shoot. Might be able to squeeze one in...

Attention! The ending date for this contest has been extended to December 31st 2013!

I won't be there but Lazarus will be. My schedule is pretty flexible. PM me with your email.

Many Klatch

Jethro, I am in !!! Does the target have to have any special center? besides being 2'x6' ? I assume we are using long rifles, not riflemuskets or slug rifles?

Cheers from down under

Gordon

No special center required. ...unless you want one.
Right, longrifles. :thumbsup:

Jethro224 said:
I wish I had a 400 yard range available so I could give this a try. All I can shoot is 200 yards around here. :(

you know, if you really want to show off you could run up to the QC some time and shoot 600yrds at my club. or 300 too.

One of these days I'll make it up there. But I don't think I can see 600 yards...

At 400 yards the 2' X 6' target was completely covered by my front sight. :shocked2: That made things even more interesting. You can barely see the target on the 400 yard line which is the last grass berm and the target is near the right end of the berm. The 200 yard target isn't any better.

Many Klatch

I'm glad this got extended, because I have not had a chance to go hit the range for any shooting in a month at least now. Now I'm not making any promises as to results, but I figure this will be educational at the very least.

Adui said:
You got to be kidding! I cant even see out to 400 yards anymore! Im not going to try this one..

Can't see out that far?! And you're just a kid. It's too far to walk to set up targets.

Once the weather cools down a little more, I'll have to work up 100 yard loads for a couple of rifles.

Doesn't Rio Salado have a 200 yard range?

AZbpBurner said:
Can't see out that far?! And you're just a kid. It's too far to walk to set up targets.

Once the weather cools down a little more, I'll have to work up 100 yard loads for a couple of rifles.

Doesn't Rio Salado have a 200 yard range?

Sadly, I cant see to 25 yards without my glasses. Im really afraid at the rate my sight is going by time Im 60 I wont be able to shoot at all.

Yes the Rio Salado main range goes out to 400 yards. Th 200 yard line often has steel plates up. I actually hit it a few times last time I was out.

Jethro,
that is very nice. Right now no time to play, getting ready for Colorado. I may be able to squeeze some range time out during hunting season. Especially if longbow elk hunting goes well.
Will use my .65 Jaeger then and try a .54 Jaeger as well....

Back