• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Bullet moulds

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Using that lead is extremely hazardous, along with disposing of the waste products is hard to do under the law, unless you have a hazardous waste disposal site near you. Along with the fact you do not get a lot of lead from them.
See posts 11 and 12 then 15 and 16.....

Last edited:
I recall reading that at some of the old-time “beef shoots,” the first and second prizes were hindquarters, third and fourth prizes were forequarters, fifth place took the hide and tallow, and the award for sixth place was the privilege of digging the lead out of the backstop. Lead was certainly valued, and was never wasted.

Notchy Bob

I recall reading that at some of the old-time “beef shoots,” the first and second prizes were hindquarters, third and fourth prizes were forequarters, fifth place took the hide and tallow, and the award for sixth place was the privilege of digging the lead out of the backstop. Lead was certainly valued, and was never wasted.

Notchy Bob
That scenario is played out in the movie "Sergeant York".

Once I finish my matchlock, I'm going to get hold of Larry Callahan (assuming he's still in business)for a mould. My bore is .775. I'll probably get a .75 caliber for it.

Duly noted.
I admit I did the assume thing thinking everyone knows better to just go melting old batteries down.
Unfortunately not everyone has enough common sense or knowledge which is the reason I reinforced the safety aspect. I once got dispatched to help EMS on a call where a fellow had taken a sledge hammer to a battery to get the lead from it. He had acid splashed in his face and he had to spend a lot of time in the hospital. One cannot over emphasize the safety aspect of our sport.

Love shooting black powder guns but ive always wondered why people want to mould theyre own ammo when its easier to just buy a box . There cant be that much savings considering the tools and time spent doing it . If people just like doing it i might be interested myself . Nothing like being self sufficient. But you still have to buy lead right ?

Not if you walk down range and pick around the target areas for spent projectile, even the copper jacketed ones.......after the firings done of course.

Where I live, there is not supplier of muzzle loader anything. I have to order everything online then pay shipping plus hazmat for my powder. Sooooo....... I make my own powder, scrounge up lead from old lead acid batteries, public ranges, my son in laws private range (backyard) and my own recovered lead. The time spent is tinkering time so it's enjoyable and relaxing, the lead is free and I can have ammo whenever I need it. It's not always about being easier, sometimes it's just about doing it.

Yep think about self-sufficiency and keep reminding yourself that everything you do is about exercising whatever and burning calories.

You need to spend time on the Cast Boollit forum.

https://castboolits.gunloads.com/?styleid=1
Casting lead is safe, if you aren't a total idiot. Much of the fear you see on the internet deserves to go the same way as the topics of Bore Butter, stuck ramrods, and dry balls.

I cast ball and bullets for 5 size balls, and have multiple molds for 11 different cartridge chamberings. Several dozen molds in total, the majority custom designs. Without them my rifles and handguns would be too expensive to shoot. If you are a serious shooter, yes, it pays to cast bullets. If you just like to plink occasionally, buy your balls.

Unfortunately not everyone has enough common sense or knowledge which is the reason I reinforced the safety aspect. I once got dispatched to help EMS on a call where a fellow had taken a sledge hammer to a battery to get the lead from it. He had acid splashed in his face and he had to spend a lot of time in the hospital. One cannot over emphasize the safety aspect of our sport.

Many years ago in my (relative) youth I decided to salvage lead from several batteries. It was a mess! I did drain the acid first so that sort of minimized the chances burning my face off. Plus, I apparently was lucky. Then there was the fact that the end product didn't shoot very well. I suppose if you have industrial level safeguards the danger is not so great.

My local recycler will give me $5 for a battery (if not needed for core charge). The $5 will buy me 6 lbs of lead so........ Funny thing, I once checked with him if he had any lead i could buy. He says "sure come take a look". He walked me behind the shop and introduced me to a piece of lead that was about 3' X 3' and over 6" thick. o_O I would have bought it but getting it home was more than I wanted to attempt.

Love shooting black powder guns but ive always wondered why people want to mould theyre own ammo when its easier to just buy a box . There cant be that much savings considering the tools and time spent doing it . If people just like doing it i might be interested myself . Nothing like being self sufficient. But you still have to buy lead right ?
You are correct, sir! But some simply like the full experience of making their own, to have a hand in the complete process. It's that simple!

Back