• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Let's talk BALLS!

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I enjoy casting lead balls on a small scale, but being short on time I'm never able to make large amounts. Plus a few years back I got 700 Hornady balls for $7 per 100.

I have used swaged Speer or Hornady .530's as well as Cast .530's (Lee Mold) in my 54. I see no difference other than price and a tiny sprue mark.

I have used Speer .440 swaged and cast .440 (Lyman mold) in my 45 and see no difference on target but I do have to center the rather prominent sprue when loading.

I use a Thompson Center .350 RB mold in my 36 SMR. It has a prominent sprue like the Lyman mold.

I enjoy casting. I will probably carry the swaged RB's in the loading block for hunting reloads in the 54 and 45. That way I don't have to fuss with aligning the sprue for a hunting reload. I will continue to use cast for the first shot and practice.

So...I would like to know what everyone is shooting in terms of brand of round ball....I am fairly new to the flintlock scenes and I am just cracking the surface... Currently I have only shot the Hornady .490..and have some .495 to see which works better. However what other brands or sources provides round balls.. I see Kibler sell them. and a whole slew of others.... and there is also the subject casting your own BALLS.. Something which I am also considering....In these times ..I would really love to support the "Mom and Pop" vendors that can provide quality round balls... I do not mind paying extra to help support these types of business....

I am currently shooting a Kibler Woodrunner .50... still playing with the exact powder load.. Right now 70-80 grains seem to be the sweet spot.. but that is only shooting one brand of round ball. hence this email...I would love to open this up for discussion.. Especially with thoughts on casting your own lead round balls..verses buying them ....I have access to good 99.9% pure lead at a very affordable price.. Sorry, cant tell that secret now... maybe later time ..

Sooo... what everyone's thoughts on brands of Round balls......???

Hornady swaged OR..., DIY self cast. To be honest, the Hornady swaged are good, but don't always give me that consistent a weight..., so might be out of round every now and then. DIY self cast gives me better results (load sprue up) but I don't always have the time to pour, and can run low or out before I know it. Getting the right lead was a problem for a bit too, but..., I got a bucket of soft scrap lead from a company that renovates X-Ray booths, so now I'm good.... I could always melt some of the Hornady too....

LD

Casting? Nope! My Dad taught me proper casting starting in 1948 and over a period of many years continued the process; casting for rifle and revolver. These days I let Hornady provide me with SWAGED RB as my back won't let me sit at the bench too long without pain. Six years of football eventually takes it's toll.
Gotta admit those swaged ones are "dope"! (Meaning really OK). The uniformity and lack of wrinkles, but casting one's own is the complete experience of muzzleloading. Like akroguy said.

Gotta admit those swaged ones are "dope"! (Meaning really OK). The uniformity and lack of wrinkles, but casting one's own is the complete experience of muzzleloading. Like akroguy said.
Well there IS a certain satisfaction when taking a deer with something that you cast.
I suppose there is more when your gear and components are made by you as well...

LD

Found these #1 1/2 buckshot which is .310".
There are 1280 balls in an 8 pound jar for $43.99.
Are these OK for a Pedersoli .32 scout carbine?

https://www.ballisticproducts.com/Super-Buck-Lead-1-1_2-8-lb_jar-310/productinfo/SBK15/

SBKL.jpg

For a .58 cal, it looks like options are Lyman (0.570, not easy to get here), Lee (0.575, still not very common) or a custom barrel mold (modern version of the older style you see in movies like The Patriot...yeah, yeah, I know...but at least they showed characters casting).

If I went for a barrel mold, do I order "spot on" for size (likely 0.570), or do I need to go 0.001-0.002 over as they don't account for shrinkage? I typically get my best results shooting a ball 0.01 smaller than calibre with a 0.018-0.020 patch...I realize this barrel may be different, but I'm thinking ahead as I'll likely be casting for savings and fun.

For a .58 cal, it looks like options are Lyman (0.570, not easy to get here), Lee (0.575, still not very common) or a custom barrel mold (modern version of the older style you see in movies like The Patriot...yeah, yeah, I know...but at least they showed characters casting).

If I went for a barrel mold, do I order "spot on" for size (likely 0.570), or do I need to go 0.001-0.002 over as they don't account for shrinkage? I typically get my best results shooting a ball 0.01 smaller than calibre with a 0.018-0.020 patch...I realize this barrel may be different, but I'm thinking ahead as I'll likely be casting for savings and fun.
My 58 Kibler preferred.570 with a .015 patch. Did well with the .575 and .010 patch but i kept double patching and getting jammed up.
Lee also offer a .565 rb if available somewhere. Tried all three myself.

Maybe I aim for something like Marty's (though I suspect the short handles get hot multi-casting like that for a bigger ball like a .570).

Hornady followed me home with new rifle, along with a lee mold. Took a peek in box , looked kind of sketchy, measured and weighed one ball for reference haven't touched the box since. Casting .350, .433, .490, .690, now with lee, lyman and rcbs molds. Have soft lead out the kazoo for my great great nephew and myself, donated 35 plus pounds to local muzzle loader club last year, they'll get more again this year, great people.

Wrinkles simply mean pot or mold is too cool (pot should be at least 750 F.). I like mine to drop with a bit of frost on them then I know I have full, fill out diameter, balls or bullets.
I've mic'd HORNADY and Speer swaged balls and they are not all that round. I shoot them when given to me but prefer to cast my own from the cheap Lee Aluminum molds for target work.

Latest posts

Back