• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Let's talk BALLS!

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

James Kopp

40 Cal
Reaction score
So...I would like to know what everyone is shooting in terms of brand of round ball....I am fairly new to the flintlock scenes and I am just cracking the surface... Currently I have only shot the Hornady .490..and have some .495 to see which works better. However what other brands or sources provides round balls.. I see Kibler sell them. and a whole slew of others.... and there is also the subject casting your own BALLS.. Something which I am also considering....In these times ..I would really love to support the "Mom and Pop" vendors that can provide quality round balls... I do not mind paying extra to help support these types of business....

I am currently shooting a Kibler Woodrunner .50... still playing with the exact powder load.. Right now 70-80 grains seem to be the sweet spot.. but that is only shooting one brand of round ball. hence this email...I would love to open this up for discussion.. Especially with thoughts on casting your own lead round balls..verses buying them ....I have access to good 99.9% pure lead at a very affordable price.. Sorry, cant tell that secret now... maybe later time ..

Sooo... what everyone's thoughts on brands of Round balls......???

I cast mine own .490's for .50 caliber rifles. I've have great success with both Lyman and RCBS molds. And I'll also mention that my .526 6 cavity ( .54 cal.) Lee mold casts balls with virtually no sprue remnant. I don't even bother with orientation with those. I cast mine own due to better quality, no shipping cost and I like being self sufficient.

I like the convenience and quality-control of the "swaged" commercial ones; back in the day I cast my own and still have the furnace, etc., and molds. Casting yourself is part of the total fun and self-reliability of muzzle loading. Hard-core guys still do it over a campfire with ladles, just like the early pioneer-hunters.

I like the convenience and quality-control of the "swaged" commercial ones; back in the day I cast my own and still have the furnace, etc., and molds. Casting yourself is part of the total fun and self-reliability of muzzle loading. Hard-core guys still do it over a campfire with ladles, just like the early pioneer-hunters.
Yes.. I am kinda leaning in that direction....I have some private land (50 acres)....that does make that a very attractive idea, by the camp fire...plans are in thw works to create a woods walking course, ect... .Do you know of a vendor that sell the traditional colonial molds that you be period correct?

When my local gun shop has them, I buy Hornady or Speer .445, .490 or .495 to conserve my lead supply. Otherwise I cast .445, .451, .490, .495 or .600 as needed over a fire in my blacksmith shop with ladle and mold.

Last edited:
Do you know of a vendor that sell the traditional colonial molds that you be period correct?
Try Larry Callahan for a mould..👍

1701272884524.gif

When I had my 'Bess, I cast my own. Very few put out .735 round balls commercially. I took my time, always preheated my mold, etc. and had good results.

For the .45 cal, I used "off the shelf" .440s (swaged) and had no problems with small game at decent distances.

Either way works...the QA/QC of commercial products has generally been good, but casting your own can be pretty rewarding and satisfying too.

Whatever floats your boat and keeps the rifle happy ;)

So...I would like to know what everyone is shooting in terms of brand of round ball....I am fairly new to the flintlock scenes and I am just cracking the surface... Currently I have only shot the Hornady .490..and have some .495 to see which works better. However what other brands or sources provides round balls.. I see Kibler sell them. and a whole slew of others.... and there is also the subject casting your own BALLS.. Something which I am also considering....In these times ..I would really love to support the "Mom and Pop" vendors that can provide quality round balls... I do not mind paying extra to help support these types of business....

I am currently shooting a Kibler Woodrunner .50... still playing with the exact powder load.. Right now 70-80 grains seem to be the sweet spot.. but that is only shooting one brand of round ball. hence this email...I would love to open this up for discussion.. Especially with thoughts on casting your own lead round balls..verses buying them ....I have access to good 99.9% pure lead at a very affordable price.. Sorry, cant tell that secret now... maybe later time ..

Sooo... what everyone's thoughts on brands of Round balls......???
I cast my own from a Lee aluminum mold, .530" dia. from salvaged lead,

Anything Kibler sells , usually has a quality commonly made custom barrel.. Most all the .50 cals. , use .490 r/b , .012 to .015 patches , and are a turn in about 60 " 0f barrel length , which likes 80 gr. FFFG black powder. .45 cal. has same twist down to a turn in 48 " barrel . I've used .440 , with correct patch thickness , and 6o gr. FFFG black for practice , and deer. Hope this helps.

Been shooting ML for 30 years been casting my own for 29 years. I've used hornady, speer and buffalo brand that I've got thru trading and prizes, never noticed enough difference between them. I do still use hornady .350 buckshot in my 36. Found 20 pounds of it for 20 bucks at a garage sale 10 years ago 😁

I cast because I enjoy it; and have for over 45 years. It's part of the whole deal for me. I cast mostly from my Lee double cavity mold. I also have a Callahan bag mold, that casts balls that shoot just as accurately as those from the Lee mold.

I find casting fun, not as much fun as shooting, but part of the sport
👍👍for Callahan’s moulds, his product is both historical and high quality.
One problem with them and historic moulds is time. The moulds get hot, too hot to hold very fast. You can run about five ball at a time. So to get a hundred ball you have to spend an afternoon casting, fun afternoon for me, but be prepared to take your time.

I find casting fun, not as much fun as shooting, but part of the sport
👍👍for Callahan’s moulds, his product is both historical and high quality.
One problem with them and historic moulds is time. The moulds get hot, too hot to hold very fast. You can run about five ball at a time. So to get a hundred ball you have to spend an afternoon casting, fun afternoon for me, but be prepared to take your time.
I wrap the handles of my Callahan mold with wool. Not pretty, but effective against the heat.

Attachments

• 20231129_155906.jpg
    20231129_155906.jpg
    1.3 MB · Views: 0
Of historic note we read of men being caught alone on the frontier alone with a full powder horn but only a few ball in their pouch.
Little folding ladles were used for melting and pouring.
I bet too hot to hold was a signal they had run enough ball😊

began casting my own probably 40 years or more ago. Easier to control the quality of what I shoot. I use only 1 cavity molds which eliminates the possible variation in cavity size.

I’ve even heard of guys getting married to pregnant girls 😊
She was probably just a "little" pregnant. :)

Guess nobody thinks about "lead fumes" when casting?
Folks squawk about lead paint but nothing about fumes?
The lead fumes WILL make your babies be born neked!! (with no cloths on) :eek: ;)

Latest posts

Back