• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

brass barrel musket

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Historically speaking, were there any muskets/fowlers made with brass or bronze barrels?
If so is anybody making them today?
I have seen pistols and blunderbusses made with brass barrels but never a regular pattern musket.

I've seen a few english fowlers with brass barrels, never seen a military musket with a brass barrel.
Both getz and rayle make brass barrels....they ain't cheap.... :winking:

Thanks for the info! I sure would like to see those fowlers. Where did you see them? Do you know of any books or websites with photos?

Then there's the "brass-barreled rifle"{Shumway RCA No.103} and I recall reading about another one or maybe two other guns with brass barrels.I don't recall who built it but somebody built a copy and I think Ed Rayl made the barrel.
Tom Patton

There is a brass octagon to round barreled fowler on display at the Old Stone Fort in Schoharie NY.

There is a brass octagon to round barreled fowler on display at the Old Stone Fort in Schoharie NY.

The Brass barreled gun with the Ed Rayl barrel was built by Peter Alexander. He speaks of it in his book "The gunsmith of Granville County" Bill

firelockshooter said:
Thanks for the info! I sure would like to see those fowlers. Where did you see them? Do you know of any books or websites with photos?
The only photos I know of off hand are in the book about Griffin and Bailes by Neil and Back. The book runs about $275 or so these days.
They are in every way a standard english fowler except that the barrel is brass.

my brains a little fuzzy, but I think I saw a bronze barrel german(?) fowler at the Hermann historica website.
Also Felix Werder of Zurich made bronze barrels almost exclusively.. there is a picture of one of his carbines on page 164 of "Arms and armour Annual" by Robert Held

A Feller could get a little woozy looking at all that brass and wire inlay.Great workmanship there and I have to wonder if it's ever been fired or taken out into the big wide world.
Tom Patton :bow: :hatsoff: :applause:

A Feller could get a little woozy looking at all that brass and wire inlay.Great workmanship there and I have to wonder if it's ever been fired or taken out into the big wide world.
I kept the puke bucket handy and used it several times during constuction. A little too guady for my taste. :shake: Definate "Pimpin'" material. I believe this one got hung on a wall and that was about it.

Sorry its taken me so long to get back on the forum. Thanks for the pics. That rifle sure is something! I'm going to have to look into those getz and rayle barrels.

Back