• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Musket/Kit Builders

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

yomer

32 Cal
Reaction score
Wanting to get a 1728/46 Charleville Musket made, most likely off of a TRS kit. I don't have the means to put one together myself, so I was wondering if there's any reputable gunsmith taking work.

Also curious about lead times on TRS kits, I've seen a lot of horror stories, so any info or advice would be great!

TRS may or may not have what you need. Call them and make it clear that you are interested in an in stock kit. Might have to call 3-4 times.

Their stocks do not have great inletting. And they are patterned 100% after an original which may have horrible architecture for shooting. Unlike other kit suppliers they don’t make modifications to make the gun suit a modern shooting stance.

Right now lock assemblers are in short supply. Some TRS locks are ok to assemble but all require real thinking and machine work. Some are full of land mines and booby traps. I’m finishing up one of their Wilson locks which is straightforward. I do face or deep case harden their frizzens for best performance.

Wanting to get a 1728/46 Charleville Musket made, most likely off of a TRS kit. I don't have the means to put one together myself, so I was wondering if there's any reputable gunsmith taking work.

Also curious about lead times on TRS kits, I've seen a lot of horror stories, so any info or advice would be great!

Very long wait time on those right now, barrel issues.

In January I’m getting some barrel patterns done for a 1728 and 1754 muskets, i know some who own originals.

I have barrel patters for a 1763, 1766 and 1773/74 pattern.

TRS may or may not have what you need. Call them and make it clear that you are interested in an in stock kit. Might have to call 3-4 times.

Their stocks do not have great inletting. And they are patterned 100% after an original which may have horrible architecture for shooting. Unlike other kit suppliers they don’t make modifications to make the gun suit a modern shooting stance.

Right now lock assemblers are in short supply. Some TRS locks are ok to assemble but all require real thinking and machine work. Some are full of land mines and booby traps. I’m finishing up one of their Wilson locks which is straightforward. I do face or deep case harden their frizzens for best performance.
Thanks for the advice. Sounds like an Indian musket is the only real option for what I want if I don't wanna wait years....

Back