• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Myths of the Blunderbuss

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I guess I'll have to get one at some point. They are just something that have never been on the top of the list for me. It probably has something to do with its usefulness. Fun yes, I could blast all kinds of things to my heart's content, but as far as being truly useful, I don't know. But I'll have to have one, regardless, because it's just something one has to have, you know.
Hi Dave

Well, you said it better than I could. LOL Not especially useful. But it's one of those must-have novelty guns. They are indeed fun to shoot.

Rick

Henry: That blunderbuss is absolutely beautiful !!! OMG. Have you fired it yet ? I'd almost be too scared of messing it up. LOL

Who made the barrel ?

It seemed like it took me forever to figure out that if I wanted sheet brass/steel thinner than common thicknesses, I had to search under "shim stock". LOL

Rick
Rick,
Thanks for kind thoughts. The Barrel was made by Ed Rayl out of 8620. That is some really hard stuff. It came Round, but I wanted Octagon-16-to Round. It took some work but I Filed the Flats, you just do what needs to be done. And was a learning experience, it makes you appreciate what it took back when. And yes, I have fired it. If you don't play with it how will your guns have stories to tell. I really hate aged studio guns.

Posting because there's sooooooooo much BAD, erroneous, or just plain WRONG information out there about our historic arms. What prompted this rant today are YouTube videos alleging - by 1 shot - that the muzzle of a blunderbuss does NOTHING for the shot pattern.

Well that premise is FLAWED! The article ‘Myths of the Blunderbuss’ by Melvin Flanagan (American Society of Arms Collectors, Volume No. 96, Sept 2007) details 108 patterning shots conducted to evaluate the pellet dispersion in blunderbuss barrels. Summary on Page 8 – "The results of these tests prove that the blunderbuss barrel did scatter shot over a larger area than a gun barrel without any flare."

Note however that the trumpet end of the muzzle did in fact aid in easier loading, whether it be on a rolling ship in seas or whilst rockin' on a coach/wagon escaping highway men!

View attachment 284147
Greetings Flint,
Just finished reading the Article and it was fun to read. This is why I like building. So many articles just repeat stuff someone else wrote. The fun part is that Ed Rayl made my Barrel and I've known Jack Brooks for years. He was one of my first instructors at WKU. Thanks for posting. Hank

Rick,
Thanks for kind thoughts. The Barrel was made by Ed Rayl out of 8620. That is some really hard stuff. It came Round, but I wanted Octagon-16-to Round. It took some work but I Filed the Flats, you just do what needs to be done. And was a learning experience, it makes you appreciate what it took back when. And yes, I have fired it. If you don't play with it how will your guns have stories to tell. I really hate aged studio guns.
OK. Thanks Henry. The barrel on mine was made by the late Ben Coogle - made from ? It's an 11 gauge,
blunderbuss 004 (Medium).jpg
blunderbuss 008 (Medium).jpg
blunderbuss 009 (Medium).jpg
all round with an extra thick breech for heavy loads.

Rick

OK. Thanks Henry. The barrel on mine was made by the late Ben Coogle - made from ? It's an 11 gauge, View attachment 285163View attachment 285165View attachment 285166all round with an extra thick breech for heavy loads.

Rick
Rick,
I wish I had read Flint's /Post on Blunderbuss when I was making mine. Not that I would have done anything different but I prefer knowing as much as I can when I'm doing a project. The good thing is that Ed Rayl made the Barrel so it sounds like he knows what he's doing. Another thing that was fun was that I used Tow for my wedding when I was testing it at the range. I don't have any serious statistics writen down just had fun.
Hank

Attachments

• 20240113_131603.jpg
    20240113_131603.jpg
    1 MB · Views: 0
  • 20240113_131648.jpg
    20240113_131648.jpg
    2.4 MB · Views: 0
I find it laughable when people try blasting the 'shot pattern's of a blunderbuss.
While I do know a YouTube guy who says he uses one for Turkey hunts, and claims he has taken some; but other then Saturday cartoons of the 60s and 70s - I have never seen nor read of the Blunderbuss actually being a Hunting Gun...?

Maybe I am missing something but I always was under the impression it was developed as an 'Intimidating Short Range Defense Gun', easy to load, wide Close Range Spread, loud, smokey, BOO! If I didn't kill you then I made you pee your pants!

Accuracy?
I shot a .72 cal round ball out of mine: 80gr 2F, egg carton over card, ball, another egg carton card - I aimed at a friend's Property Line Post at approximately 30-40 yards...I Missed it...BUT, I nicked it and laid it down on the ground, then I turned to my friend and stated "There, i just extended your property three feet!"

I have also hit pumpkins at 30 to 40 yards with it (round ball, not shot).
But taking a deer or bird on the wing?
Come on; I'm Not Elmer Fudd!

It is was it is, made for what it does, and YES, everyone Needs one!!
(Plus; they are good at chasing away Range Kerens who complain about the noise and smoke your .50 cal make, calling it a "G'D Cannon!"....no, I will show you a 'Cannon'!)

(Plus; they are good at chasing away Range Kerens who complain about the noise and smoke your .50 cal make, calling it a "G'D Cannon!"....no, I will show you a 'Cannon'!)
Rang Karen's worst nightmare
1394127_585076738235455_164997817_n.jpg

Attachments

• 1462909_585076541568808_1637271306_n.jpg
    1462909_585076541568808_1637271306_n.jpg
    84.1 KB · Views: 0
  • 379326_424232790998889_875789490_n.jpg
    379326_424232790998889_875789490_n.jpg
    79.5 KB · Views: 0
SWAB: That is so entirely cool !!!!! And that big doglock looks just right. How much does she weigh ? Firing that thing....you are a better man than I. LOL

Rick
I built it for a friend, weight is about 30 pounds. The swivel spanish blunderbuss is the same bore. Before it found its new home my son fired it and I fired it from the shoulder. . .
20230205_135409.jpg
IMG_20230209_140923.jpg

30-lbs. !! That's a BIG one. LOL Your Son reminds me of.......well, me at that age. LOL Looks like he will be "hooked" like his Dad. Thanks for the great pics.

Rick

Hank, I am simply flabbergasted by the beauty of your blunderbuss. Coming from Oregon, I have seen, felled, bucked and split my share of madrone for firewood -- it contains more BTUs than oak -- and marveled at its grain structure and patterns. While one would very occasionally see it used for cabinets and flooring, it was always considered very difficult to work with both for hardness and for the tendency of the wood to twist and or check. Curing and stabilizing it was considered to be the realm of alchemists and necromancers. Apparently Ron had cured your blank very well. I have spent some time in his studio --clean and very well lighted as you might imagine.
Thank you for posting, and Dale, thanks for this thread.

Hank, I am simply flabbergasted by the beauty of your blunderbuss. Coming from Oregon, I have seen, felled, bucked and split my share of madrone for firewood -- it contains more BTUs than oak -- and marveled at its grain structure and patterns. While one would very occasionally see it used for cabinets and flooring, it was always considered very difficult to work with both for hardness and for the tendency of the wood to twist and or check. Curing and stabilizing it was considered to be the realm of alchemists and necromancers. Apparently Ron had cured your blank very well. I have spent some time in his studio --clean and very well lighted as you might imagine.
Thank you for posting, and Dale, thanks for this thread.
Greetings Bill,
I met Ron back in about 2007 when he took over for Ron Ehlert. Back in 2016 I went up to Oregon for Ron's Gunmakers Fair. He asked me to lecture/speak on Spanish firearms and the Girardoni and Lukens Air Rifles that I had made. He showed me his Shop and met alot of nice folks at the Fair. I didn't know much about the Madrone only it was a beautiful stock. Joking on the square I told him that if he could get Jim Chambers to make a few of the Essen locks that I would buy the stock. As you can see Ron was able to get Jim to sell a couple locks. It's all fun, if you have a chance to attend the Fair I think you'd have a good time and lots of different information. Hank

Latest posts

Back