• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Myths of the Blunderbuss

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Those are pretty decent buckshot patterns you show there. I can see the progression on the target as you figure it all out. Looks like you got it there at the last shot. Nice blunderbuss shooting.

Once I get the old load out of this barrel I intend to have it magnifluxed to determine if safe to shoot. The oval flair on the barrel is very psychologically intimidating!
This was dated from around early 1700's.
William
Ohhhhh....I hope the barrel passes muster.

Rick

Everybody needs a blunderbuss.

I'm thinking that way too, back in the 90's I had the opportunity to buy an original brass barrelled Bbuss at a gun show here in Aussie land, it was going for around AU$400.0 as I recall, like a fool I passed and always regretted it.
Learnt my lesson though, nowadays if such an opportunity shows itself I'll stand a while in serious consideration then commit to buying; and never had a regret about doing so.
OP Flint62Smoothie can testify to that !

Those are pretty decent buckshot patterns you show there. I can see the progression on the target as you figure it all out. Looks like you got it there at the last shot. Nice blunderbuss shooting.
Hi Earl

I was not trying to develop a "tighter" type pattern (like a turkey load). I wanted a spread pattern. Actually something like I did get on the third try. More experimentation is needed. I can't imagine these guns would be useful past about 15 yards. But I suspect that's all they were made for. But at close range they would be very effective. One thing for sure, that 90-grain load with all that lead in a short barrel made for some significant recoil. But as others mention, they are a blast to shoot.

Rick

I'm thinking that way too, back in the 90's I had the opportunity to buy an original brass barrelled Bbuss at a gun show here in Aussie land, it was going for around AU$400.0 as I recall, like a fool I passed and always regretted it.
Learnt my lesson though, nowadays if such an opportunity shows itself I'll stand a while in serious consideration then commit to buying; and never had a regret about doing so.
OP Flint62Smoothie can testify to that !
Hi Coin

I've bought guns I shouldn't have, and others I passed on but should have bought. LOL I think we've all done this. Seems to go with the territory.

Something I have noticed in the past. You can find an original blunderbuss where the outside of the gun is in good condition. But the bores of the IRON barreled guns are always rough. Often very rough. Curious.

Rick

Posting because there's sooooooooo much BAD, erroneous, or just plain WRONG information out there about our historic arms. What prompted this rant today are YouTube videos alleging - by 1 shot - that the muzzle of a blunderbuss does NOTHING for the shot pattern.

Well that premise is FLAWED! The article ‘Myths of the Blunderbuss’ by Melvin Flanagan (American Society of Arms Collectors, Volume No. 96, Sept 2007) details 108 patterning shots conducted to evaluate the pellet dispersion in blunderbuss barrels. Summary on Page 8 – "The results of these tests prove that the blunderbuss barrel did scatter shot over a larger area than a gun barrel without any flare."

Note however that the trumpet end of the muzzle did in fact aid in easier loading, whether it be on a rolling ship in seas or whilst rockin' on a coach/wagon escaping highway men!

View attachment 284147
No real interest t ok me but it's an awesome picture

Hi Coin

I've bought guns I shouldn't have, and others I passed on but should have bought. LOL I think we've all done this. Seems to go with the territory.

Something I have noticed in the past. You can find an original blunderbuss where the outside of the gun is in good condition. But the bores of the IRON barreled guns are always rough. Often very rough. Curious.

Rick

Sadly the Gun shows here Down Under have become mere Trash and Treasure markets peddling "Bric a Brac" and Militaria for wannabe "soljers".

Up until around 2000 our Gun shows were just that with plenty of original ML's, Antiques and Vintage pre 20th century firearms for sale, but the Dealers were mostly older guys and seemed to have passed away; what happened to their Stock is anyones guess.

The last few Gun shows I attended were dismal affairs, so I dont bother making the effort nowadays.
I'm planning on tripping over to the USA sometime next year in 2025, intend to fly into Dallas Texas meeting up with old friends there, then travelling up to Tennessee, Georgia and South Carolina; will try time it for your American Gun shows thats for sure.

Greetings Flint,
I must say you guys sure like the same toys I like. This is a Project I finished in '13. The stock is a beautiful Burl Madrone, the Barrel is an 11 bore, the Lock Castings came from Jim Chambers. I was going for a Dutch influence. The Thumbplate is Hot Roll and all of the Wire is 1010 Steel. For some reason you just can't find any Wrought Iron Wire any more. LOL. The 1010 is actually Shim Stock. It's the lowest carbon steel I could find. You still have to anneal it everytime you touch it. It was a fun project. Hank

Greetings Flint,
I must say you guys sure like the same toys I like. This is a Project I finished in '13. The stock is a beautiful Burl Madrone, the Barrel is an 11 bore, the Lock Castings came from Jim Chambers. I was going for a Dutch influence. The Thumbplate is Hot Roll and all of the Wire is 1010 Steel. For some reason you just can't find any Wrought Iron Wire any more. LOL. The 1010 is actually Shim Stock. It's the lowest carbon steel I could find. You still have to anneal it everytime you touch it. It was a fun project. Hank
I thought I had the pics with my post so tried again.

Attachments

• 20240112_162125.jpg
    20240112_162125.jpg
    4.4 MB · Views: 0
  • 20240112_162158.jpg
    20240112_162158.jpg
    1.4 MB · Views: 0
  • 20240112_162302.jpg
    20240112_162302.jpg
    2.1 MB · Views: 0
  • 20240112_162331.jpg
    20240112_162331.jpg
    3.6 MB · Views: 0
  • 20240112_162426.jpg
    20240112_162426.jpg
    3.5 MB · Views: 0
That is a beauty! I've seen Madrone trees is Oregon. Where else does it grow?
I don't know but I suspect that blunder busses were developed to solve problems that occurred at handshaking distances.
Greetings,
I got this from Ron Scott, he lives in Oregon so my guess is he got it "locally". As far as where else it grows, it is Spain. In fact it is on the Spanish Flag. This is one of the reasons I enjoy this passion, you find so many other things along the journey. Hank

I guess I'll have to get one at some point. They are just something that have never been on the top of the list for me. It probably has something to do with its usefulness. Fun yes, I could blast all kinds of things to my heart's content, but as far as being truly useful, I don't know. But I'll have to have one, regardless, because it's just something one has to have, you know.

I guess I'll have to get one at some point. They are just something that have never been on the top of the list for me. It probably has something to do with its usefulness. Fun yes, I could blast all kinds of things to my heart's content, but as far as being truly useful, I don't know. But I'll have to have one, regardless, because it's just something one has to have, you know.
I think it's like jello there's always room. LOL

Sadly the Gun shows here Down Under have become mere Trash and Treasure markets peddling "Bric a Brac" and Militaria for wannabe "soljers".

Up until around 2000 our Gun shows were just that with plenty of original ML's, Antiques and Vintage pre 20th century firearms for sale, but the Dealers were mostly older guys and seemed to have passed away; what happened to their Stock is anyones guess.

The last few Gun shows I attended were dismal affairs, so I dont bother making the effort nowadays.
I'm planning on tripping over to the USA sometime next year in 2025, intend to fly into Dallas Texas meeting up with old friends there, then travelling up to Tennessee, Georgia and South Carolina; will try time it for your American Gun shows thats for sure.
Sorry to hear that. I understand the pain you feel when things aren't like they used to be. Sad but carry-on. Maybe you can make something new

Being a Blunderbuss topic, here are the 2 most recent I've built. . Spanish pieces.

Attachments

• IMG_2022-12-12-20-49-57-616.jpg
    IMG_2022-12-12-20-49-57-616.jpg
    849.5 KB · Views: 0
  • IMG_2022-12-12-20-48-08-436.jpg
    IMG_2022-12-12-20-48-08-436.jpg
    915.3 KB · Views: 0
  • IMG_2022-12-12-20-47-13-128.jpg
    IMG_2022-12-12-20-47-13-128.jpg
    801.5 KB · Views: 0
  • IMG_2022-12-12-20-46-46-144.jpg
    IMG_2022-12-12-20-46-46-144.jpg
    829.7 KB · Views: 0
  • 20231214_121939.jpg
    20231214_121939.jpg
    4.2 MB · Views: 0
  • 20231214_121929.jpg
    20231214_121929.jpg
    4.3 MB · Views: 0
  • 20231214_121849.jpg
    20231214_121849.jpg
  • 20231214_121826.jpg
    20231214_121826.jpg
Being a Blunderbuss topic, here are the 2 most recent I've built. . Spanish pieces.
Nice work! These Spanish busses remind me of more than one old treasure tale, but the one that sticks out is the cave with the 'iron door' somewhere out West, can't remember if Arizona or Utah, but there was supposedly a kid that detailed finding a Spanish blunderbuss at the door. I've often wondered since then what the Spanish variety looked like. Throughout my reading, and not just from tales, but from first-hand accounts, they were used more often out West than is generally thought, usually to keep the natives under control during mining operations. All anyone ever sees are of English make, but I'd go for one of these.

Last edited:

Hi Coin

A friend of mine in NZ said the local gun shows there have turned out similar to yours. Actually, the "local" type gun shows here in the States are mostly modern and flea market stuff. Only the occasional original/replica muzzle loading item shows up. I think one of the main reasons for that here in the States is that there are no restrictions on shipping muzzle loaders back and forth within the States (for the most part). I think dealers have found that it's easier to post these guns for sale on Gunbroker or some other Forum. This would likely produce a larger prospective audience, and a potentially faster sale.

Rick

I go to hang out at small local shows. Most of the time it’s a waste- BUT….. you never know what will come in. Got a new unopened tin of RWS musket caps for $5! A friend bought a very nice pinfire revolver off a guy for ….. $100! You never know…..

I thought I had the pics with my post so tried again.
Henry: That blunderbuss is absolutely beautiful !!! OMG. Have you fired it yet ? I'd almost be too scared of messing it up. LOL

Who made the barrel ?

It seemed like it took me forever to figure out that if I wanted sheet brass/steel thinner than common thicknesses, I had to search under "shim stock". LOL

Rick

Hi Swab

WOW!!! Talk about COOL !!! That big miquelet lock on the shoulder gun is just great. What a beauty. And that pistol....with the mid-type Spanish flintlock. Just love the hardware on that one.
Both guns have that obvious, first glance Spanish look to them. Wonderful work.

Rick

Latest posts

Back