• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Newly discovered problem with the GPR

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I cut off the new ramrod...a story in itself... Stuck the rod in the barrel and cut it off using the muzzle as a guide. Exactly to length. Put the ramrod in the stock...too short. inches too short. you fellas and gals that have GPR. is your stock drilled deeper?
Don't know about factory but I like to drill mine a little deeper. A longer rod gives more room for the fingers. Respectfully, never assume something that you have no idea what a factory did. Check what you have first. Not criticism, just a suggestion to help in the future.
Larry

If I were shooting competitions, I would have a couple of inches hanging off the end when stored.

I see no reason for the rod to match the length of the barrel? You can have an extra foot of length just of loading.
Actually, it can be problematic depending on the situation. I keep the cleaning jag on the ramrod of my .32 Crockett. But only due to I run a patch down the barrel after every 1-2 shots. More convenient in the woods.

However, it also adds some issues. One of such is when putting the ML in the front seat of my truck to/from anywhere. This makes it somewhat difficult to lean against the back of the seat.

Secondly, when using a loading block, which I most always do now while on a hunt, the additional length makes it difficult to load. So, I have to remove the ramrod prior to loading.

Third, the cleaning jag stays dirty from muzzle blast. Not that big of a deal, however.

The advantage is the cleaning jag hanging out past the muzzle makes it easier to grab ahold of. That smaller diameter ramrod is not the easiest to hang on to or grab with numb and cold fingers. It also makes it easy for grabbing ahold of the ramrod whenever I get a stubborn patch all the way down to the bottom.

So yeah, pro’s and con’s.

Last edited:
Actually, it can be problematic depending on the situation. I keep the cleaning jag on the ramrod of my .32 Crockett. But only due to I run a patch down the barrel after every 1-2 shots. More convenient in the woods.

However, it also adds some issues. One of such is when putting the ML in the front seat of my truck to/from anywhere. This makes it somewhat difficult to lean against the back of the seat.

Secondly, when using a loading block, which I most always do now while on a hunt, the additional length makes it difficult to load. So, I have to remove the ramrod prior to loading.

Third, the cleaning jag stays dirty from muzzle blast. Not that big of a deal, however.

The advantage is the cleaning jag hanging out past the muzzle makes it easier to grab ahold of. That smaller diameter ramrod is not the easiest to hang on to or grab with numb and cold fingers. It also makes it easy for grabbing ahold of the ramrod whenever I get a stubborn patch all the way down to the bottom.

So yeah, pro’s and con’s.
I cut mine to be even with the muzzle but I just use it when hunting. At the range I use a range
You are using a loading block with the rod still in the rifle?

fixedit...found the old uncut ramrod...using it, I had lost it...if you see my shop you would understand. Now I have a ramrod for my Mountain rifle. Bidding on a junk CVA with a saveable barrel.

rats, I hit send accidentally
Was going to say with the extension on, POI was all over the target. With extension off, nothing sticking out past the muzzle, hitting dead center. Never did understand that.

Interesting variable, I wonder if the ball leaving the Muzzle was just tipping the Jag or maybe the Patch edge was being tipped in flight while still on the Ball.

When I got the new Lyman/Pedersoli GPR, I ordered a synthetic one from Track made especially for that gun. I'd hate to break the original. I use the new unbreakable one for the range. Maybe that's the only benefit of buying a production gun.

I cut mine to be even with the muzzle but I just use it when hunting. At the range I use a range
You are using a loading block with the rod still in the rifle I find it difficult to load with a loading block with
Unfortunately, I find it difficult to load when using a loading block with a ramrod extending past the muzzle. At least with my .32 Crockett squirrel rifle. No big deal to remove the ramrod first considering it has to be pulled anyway. I just don’t like having to lay the ramrod down or lean it up against a tree in the woods. However, its worth that step considering the advantages of a loading block whenever squirrel hunting. If I could find some .32 caliber speed loaders that would be an ideal.

So, trade offs.

rats, I hit send accidentally
Was going to say with the extension on, POI was all over the target. With extension off, nothing sticking out past the muzzle, hitting dead center. Never did understand that.
Having access to a machine shop I got a brass ramrod for my Hawkin the rod is two inches longer than my barrel and I leave the jag on the rod. I never remove it to shoot and I couldn't get better accuracy than it has?

Cut it again and it will still be to short….. Next time cut the ramrod to the length you prefer it to be when it is in the stock. For now, add a jag extension to the short ramrod or just live with it until you decide to replace it.

And yes, the ramrods on the GPRs I have owned had ramrods slightly longer than the bore depth, but were sized correctly to the stock. Actually prefer that little bit of extra length. I know someone with a ‘custom’ gun that because of its lock screw location carries a short ramrod. I don’t consider that desirable.
I have a bit f the rod sticking out on all my MZA's. Makes it much easier to pull the rod out imho

Unfortunately, I find it difficult to load when using a loading block with a ramrod extending past the muzzle. At least with my .32 Crockett squirrel rifle. No big deal to remove the ramrod first considering it has to be pulled anyway. I just don’t like having to lay the ramrod down or lean it up against a tree in the woods. However, its worth that step considering the advantages of a loading block whenever squirrel hunting. If I could find some .32 caliber speed loaders that would be an ideal.

So, trade offs.
Oh, you are using a short starter?
I use the ramrod to punch it down. I coned my barrels.

Why would you do that? Don’t you know you must have some of the rod longer than the bored length so you have something to grab during loading.

Put the ramrod in the stock...too short. inches too short.
Of course the rod is too short now. It must be longer than the bore to hold a proper length rod.

have GPR. is your stock drilled deeper?
It has to be deeper in order to have a functioning ramrod.

Check the stock ramrod hole length with a smaller diameter rod 22 cal cleaning rod. Sometimes there can be factory screws blocking access to the full diameter rod or wood cuttings left in th hole that prevents full insertion of the full size rod.
The bare stock I was using as a reference doesn't have the ramrod channel drilled past the end...closed end../of the barrel. I was too lazy to take the barrel out of the great plains rifle and check. the bare stock I have is a CVA Mountain Rifle...I know I should have known CVA would get it wrong...but...lazy.

If you ever get a ball stuck, you'll want extra to hang on to.
Actually, I never had a ball stuck. I had the jag stuck, running a dry patch through my GPR after shooting. It took two guys and a vise grip and marred my ramrod. I finally got a brass 44 " T-rod long enough even for my 42" smoothbore. I figure with the T- handle I could even pull a tough one out by myself, and the crotch of a tree.

Last edited:

So, trade offs.

My habit is to slip the Ramrod under my belt just behind my back on the range, and use to do the same on the hunt when game was near.
Easy enough for me as my ML Rifles are no longer in Barrel than 38 ".

Oh, you are using a short starter?
I use the ramrod to punch it down. I coned my barrels.
No short starter needed for the Crockett rifle. Mine is not coned. When not using a loading block I simply start the patch/ball with my fingers. The extension of the ramrod doesn't matter as much in that event. When using a loading block, I push the patch/ball through with the ramrod. No short starter.

My habit is to slip the Ramrod under my belt just behind my back on the range, and use to do the same on the hunt when game was near.
Easy enough for me as my ML Rifles are no longer in Barrel than 38 ".
I suppose that would work for some folks. I'm not very much overweight but I do have to keep my belt pretty darn tight. In my older age my wife say's "I got no arse". I have no problem reminding her that is only due to the fact that she has chewed my arse so much over the years there's not much left.

I'm sure its pure jealously.

I seldom ever shoot or reload in the woods unless I'm next to a tree, so not as much of a problem. Jim K on here sent me a brass ramrod that's the same length as my hickory ramrod I built up for that ML. Its easier to see in the woods so its not as much of a concern if I have to lay it down. The brass ramrod adds weight to the ML and it can definitely make a little noise when reloading, but most of that can be eliminated by proper use. One thing a brass ramrod has done is the additional weight made it to where its more steady to hold still on target while shooting offhanded. So again, trade offs.

Gotta love the world of physics where often times to gain something, you must give up something.

Last edited:
Back