• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Old Bear

32 Cal
Reaction score
Hi everyone I am Old Bear just moved to Virginia from New Mexico mountains should have never left best 41 years of my life. I have been involved in muzzle loading for over 60 years. Shooting hunting and building my own. Unfortunately can’t build anymore do to proximity tremors can’t do the details anymore so l collect and shoot now.Thank you l enjoy the form

Thanks for the welcome.l have just purchased a set of dueling pistols.The workmanship is exquisite by any standard. The builder is M Vance does anyone have any information on him the only thing l have been able to find is anyone who has one of his guns loves them an hr was a recluse from Spring Texas.see attached photos.

Thanks for the welcome.l have just purchased a set of dueling pistols.The workmanship is exquisite by any standard. The builder is M Vance does anyone have any information on him the only thing l have been able to find is anyone who has one of his guns loves them an hr was a recluse from Spring Texas.see attached photos.

Attachments

• IMG_1428.jpeg
    5.5 MB · Views: 0
  • IMG_1426.jpeg
    6.2 MB · Views: 0
  • IMG_1428.jpeg
    5.5 MB · Views: 0
  • IMG_1424.jpeg
    6.5 MB · Views: 0
Welcome from Florida, @Old Bear . Virginia is not New Mexico, but it is a beautiful state with a lot to recommend it!

Thank you for posting photos of your dueling pistols. Outstanding! I would like to point out to the forum that Old Bear is correct, the name on the pistols is “M. Vance,” and not “M. Avance.” These pistols are not from TVM! They look like the real deal to me, although I am not familiar with that maker, and a quick perusal of references I have on hand yielded nothing. Our resident expert on dueling pistols is @dave_person … hopefully he will see this and comment. You might also want to re-post those images in the Original Antique Firearms section of the Muzzleloading Forum to get some more comments.

Best regards,

Notchy Bob

EDIT: I looked around a little more and found several firearms, mostly rifles, that were built by M. Vance, but nothing about the man himself. I thought @Old Bear ‘s pistols, as shown above, were genuine antiques, but it appears Mr. Vance was active not so long ago.

Last edited:
Welcome from Florida, @Old Bear . Virginia is not New Mexico, but it is a beautiful state with a lot to recommend it!

Thank you for posting photos of your dueling pistols. Outstanding! I would like to point out to the forum that Old Bear is correct, the name on the pistols is “M. Vance,” and not “M. Avance.” These pistols are not from TVM! They look like the real deal to me, although I am not familiar with that maker, and a quick perusal of references I have on hand yielded nothing. Our resident expert on dueling pistols is @dave_person … hopefully he will see this and comment. You might also want to re-post those images in the Original Antique Firearms section of the Muzzleloading Forum to get some more comments.

Best regards,

Notchy Bob
Thank you for the welcome and comments

Back