• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Beeswax and the Powder Flask

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Has anyone ever coated the inside of their powder flask with beeswax?

I've seen 40 and 150+ year old flasks that look fine and others that have split at the seam due to corrosion. I was thinking that the beeswax might prevent this since ours are always full or near so.

Your thoughts? :idunno:

No - never have coated a flask inside with beeswax or anything else. I would think that the beeswax would "hold" a layer of powder that is in contact with the surface of the beeswax. Maybe also contaminate some of the powder :idunno:. I have a flash that I purchased in 1969 and other than it's "funky" looks and replaced cap screws & spring it is still in good condition :) .

I use a melted beeswax when fitting plugs in horns to "lube " the plug sliding in and to ensure a good seal.But I would not recommend coating the inside of a flask like many do with canteens. Canteens hold liquids, warm beeswax would soften and cause the powder to stick to the walls on hot days. :idunno:

I doubt you will have any problems with a flask in your lifetime. I have a small Italian made "Colt" .31 flask that has held powder continuously for 40 years and it is still fine. Around here the beeswax could easily get soft enough on a hot day to cause problems. How about taking the top off and swishing a urethane varnish around inside to seal it off?

Thanks for the replies fellas. :hatsoff:

Somehow I missed taking our tropical weather into consideration! :doh:

I reckon they'll be left as is unless some corrosion starts. The varnish then seems like a great idea to preserve them further if need be.

Back