• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Safe powder horn making?

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Two Feathers

62 Cal.
MLF Sponsor
Reaction score
Howdy folks, Two Feathers here: Disclaimer: This is NOT meant to step on anyone's toes, just my observation and comment.

I've been making "plain Jane" working man powder horns since the 70's and one thing I always tell people who ask me about making a horn is.....NEVER EVER glue in a horn cap!
I have commented about this subject on dozens of horn making videos where the guy says to glue in the cap??? NOW I'm seeing disparaging comments posted, saying that it's completely OK to glue in the cap and that I'm wrong and the Mountain Men did it that way with pitch glue?

Well...here's something I came across earlier this week from 4 years ago. Not sure HOW I missed this, but it supports my comments. If you don't want to view the entire video go to 1:42 for the not to glue part I'm referring to. If you want to see the results go to 6:16.
How can anyone think gluing in the cap is a good idea after seeing this video? Again....not passing judgement, just trying to clear up any misconceptions, is it OK or isn't it?
If you don't think I'm right, please let me know where I misunderstand. I only have our newbie crafters safety and best interest at heart. I feel, and have felt for 40+ years, that gluing a cap in, on a working horn, is just taking the easy way out? If I'm wrong, please let me know why? I tack my caps and seal the seam with my wax mix to be waterproof and airtight. If you melt the wax out of my seams, you no longer have an airtight, watertight horn, but in the event of ignition, the cap will blow out! Not that you ever want that to happen!
More than anything, I just want to know if I'm right or wrong in my convictions and advice to others?
Thank you for reading this.
God bless:
Two Feathers

just noticed that the horn used was not glued.
2 shots:
Well buddy, I hadn't noticed THAT. But I guess it further proves my point? Keep the sparks AWAY from your horn whether it's glue or not...common sense. You'd be amazed how much of that is missing in today's society? Thanks.
God bless:
Two Feathers

howdy two feathers hope you are doing well, seems they proved that point , but is there one with a horn made as yours are?? would like to see what happens . thanks for posting this, i think i will stick to my small brass hunting flask. o_O
2 shots:
I'm doing a little better, thanks. Actually, I don't know? This is the first "Test" I've ever seen done of this type. I'd be curious too. I think the results may be similar?
God bless:
Two Feathers

He did not blow up a control horn. He needs to have done glued, not glued, and not secured at all. A small amount of powder makes a bigger bang than a full horn. This has all been tested long ago. Read Hatcher's Notebook, be blew up pound cans of various powders, including black. I am sure that in all three cases above the result would have been the same. The video proves nothing.

No powder horn or flask is safe to ignite under you arm!

The tester's goal was to test if a horn with a beeswax and wood pinned plug would explode or just pop the plug, as is sometimes stated would happen. Reality is any spark or flame in a powder container is a risk, don't count on the plug popping or flask splitting as a safety mechanism.
I actually cringe when I see guys shooting over their container, or if it's sitting to the side while their touch hole vents nearby.

So how it this explained?
Chain,metal hand grenade
Black-Antique-Powder-Flask-from-the-1800s-1024x683.jpg

Howdy folks, Two Feathers here: Disclaimer: This is NOT meant to step on anyone's toes, just my observation and comment.

I've been making "plain Jane" working man powder horns since the 70's and one thing I always tell people who ask me about making a horn is.....NEVER EVER glue in a horn cap!
I have commented about this subject on dozens of horn making videos where the guy says to glue in the cap??? NOW I'm seeing disparaging comments posted, saying that it's completely OK to glue in the cap and that I'm wrong and the Mountain Men did it that way with pitch glue?

Well...here's something I came across earlier this week from 4 years ago. Not sure HOW I missed this, but it supports my comments. If you don't want to view the entire video go to 1:42 for the not to glue part I'm referring to. If you want to see the results go to 6:16.
How can anyone think gluing in the cap is a good idea after seeing this video? Again....not passing judgement, just trying to clear up any misconceptions, is it OK or isn't it?
If you don't think I'm right, please let me know where I misunderstand. I only have our newbie crafters safety and best interest at heart. I feel, and have felt for 40+ years, that gluing a cap in, on a working horn, is just taking the easy way out? If I'm wrong, please let me know why? I tack my caps and seal the seam with my wax mix to be waterproof and airtight. If you melt the wax out of my seams, you no longer have an airtight, watertight horn, but in the event of ignition, the cap will blow out! Not that you ever want that to happen!
More than anything, I just want to know if I'm right or wrong in my convictions and advice to others?
Thank you for reading this.
God bless:
Two Feathers

I would think that if the horn is sealed, by any means, it is a potential bomb. The pressure of the rapidly expanding gas is going to destroy horn. Of coarse, this is a guess on my part. I spend too much time making a horn to blow it up. Ever seen a steel barrel with an obstruction turned into a pipe bomb? Steel is stronger than horn. But maybe I'm comparing apples to oranges.

Never load from the horn, always into a separate powder measure. I don't care if you think it cannot explode, there
is a chance it can. So why take any risk of bodily injury to yourself or others.

I don't think it matters glued, waxed, nailed etc..... It will explode given the chance

Thanks for posting this up

Confused here cause the guy in the video made the horn the same way you advise making one and it Blew up. That would seem to totally discredit you theory on how to make a horn.

in the first one wasnt the plug pinned in?? :dunno:
Yes and the second horn the plug was just pushed in..not to terribly controlled in my opinion. I’ve always made my horns using pins and beezwax, never glued in place. The idea is ultimately to make sure the horn is completely sealed and air tight.

I sometimes wonder why people worry about the things they worry about.,.
I think about how many powder horns and flasks were carried by how many people on their persons while shooting from the invention of BP and the rifle until now......

And we have people worried that carrying a horn while shooting will possibly make it explode, maybe our ancestors were more intelligent

Latest posts

Back