• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Bad CCI caps

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
What is with the Cap maker?? Does it work? Reliable??
Yes it does, there is learning curve but nothing major. I use roll caps as the prime portion, only because
with the amount of powder and primers I have on hand (reload for everything I have , modern and the
other black powder items) For range work I trust them but for hunting I use bought, Sometimes hunting
is hard work and I don't want to miss a harvest because of a miss fire.
Gunnyr

What is with the Cap maker?? Does it work? Reliable??
There are several videos out there on this. 22LRReloader supposedly makes the tool and primer powder materials or you can use roll caps. Several ppl. say reliability is +95%. Well, that would be better than I get out of CCI. Here is one video using some plastic caps and also showing the tool. how to make percussion caps - Google Search

Last edited:
I have only had one tin that had primer in the caps and did not work. that tin was from batch # F15D301 they were so bad @ less than 50% that it was easy to identify the problem and take them out of service. my recent lot, batch #F16D301 many of the caps are empty. the caps that are full work 100% of the time. obviously empty caps don't work. As long as one is willing to visually inspect each cap before using any ignition problems are on the gun end not the cap end of the situation.

I have only had one tin that had primer in the caps and did not work. that tin was from batch # F15D301 they were so bad @ less than 50% that it was easy to identify the problem and take them out of service. my recent lot, batch #F16D301 many of the caps are empty. the caps that are full work 100% of the time. obviously empty caps don't work. As long as one is willing to visually inspect each cap before using any ignition problems are on the gun end not the cap end of the situation.
On all of my revolvers, plus the muskets, it often requires a double hit. Yes, they all seem to go off but about 10% don't fire on the first hit. And I do take care to make sure they are seated using a little stick.

People , We all have a choice, that's what makes this country so great . Sometimes our choice won't
fit the other guys expectations , so whatever floats your boat. I know for me if I can keep shooting
then I'll make my primers even if I only get 50% good. We're talking little money to make. cans are a by
product and roll caps are around $5 per 2000 caps.
Gunnyr

On all of my revolvers, plus the muskets, it often requires a double hit. Yes, they all seem to go off but about 10% don't fire on the first hit. And I do take care to make sure they are seated using a little stick.
They're not seated if they take 2 hammer falls. Or you have weak main springs.

They're not seated if they take 2 hammer falls. Or you have weak main springs.
I seriously doubt I have weak mainsprings on all of my revolvers and muskets and other than taking a hammer to the caps, I don't know how to seat them any better. Anyway, going out to the range right now with the Hawken for about a dozen shots with CCI caps.

How about this. Do not buy another tin of CCI primers until they get their sh it together.

Primers went from .03 a piece to .15 a piece and we're sitting here talking about gluing their crappy, falling apart, product back together.

Everyone sitting on their wallets is a way to punish a company that cares not one wit about their customers. And, yes, they've heard about their #11s being unreliable junk.

Send them a message and stop rewarding them for stealing our money and providing nothing in return.
If you would look, you will see that CCI reimbursed the OP. So, no one was stealing his money. He didn't even have to return the caps to "prove" they were defective. I wouldn't call that "not caring one wit about their customers". If the OP would have contacted CCI BEFORE he whined & complained here this thread may have been about CCI standing behind their products instead of invoking hatefull posts like yours. No company is perfect 100% of the time, but all the products I have got from them have been of good quality. I'm sure CCI is not happy that they let some faulty caps get on the market as that is not good for business, but your call to "punish" them is wrong & short sighted. If we follow your advice they will just stop making them & I wouldn't blame them if all their customers start acting like you. Then what?

I seriously doubt I have weak mainsprings on all of my revolvers and muskets and other than taking a hammer to the caps, I don't know how to seat them any better. Anyway, going out to the range right now with the Hawken for about a dozen shots with CCI caps.
Todays range report on CCI #11 caps. Par for the course. 10 good hits. One took two hammer falls to fire. One was a primer failure. The unfired primer was driven right into the nipple so not a matter of a weak hammer or seating problem. I am not really bothered by this. I have my load, patches, and lube all figured out and the gun is doing great so I'm home very happy getting ready to clean up.

If you would look, you will see that CCI reimbursed the OP. So, no one was stealing his money. He didn't even have to return the caps to "prove" they were defective. I wouldn't call that "not caring one wit about their customers". If the OP would have contacted CCI BEFORE he whined & complained here this thread may have been about CCI standing behind their products instead of invoking hatefull posts like yours. No company is perfect 100% of the time, but all the products I have got from them have been of good quality. I'm sure CCI is not happy that they let some faulty caps get on the market as that is not good for business, but your call to "punish" them is wrong & short sighted. If we follow your advice they will just stop making them & I wouldn't blame them if all their customers start acting like you. Then what?
At the risk of invoking yet another hateful post, search CCI #11. This forum is littered with story after story of faulty CCI primers. Is everyone making this up? Is this #11 problem only on this forum? Nope. Search the entire internet. Problems galore.

Let's address shutting down the CCI manufacturing facility. Shutting down their operation is exactly the right thing to do at this point. Stop production. Study the problem. Come up with a solution to the problem. Then remedy the problem.

Then get the line up and running again. Producing a failure rate below 1%. Shooters could handle 1 failure out of 100 if they knew the other 99 were sure fire GTG. Who in the hell wants to go hunting when they literally can't depend on their tin of primers? The answer is no one.

There is not another product on this planet where a person would accept a product working just 2 times out of 5. Sorry, Boss, the truck refused to start 2 times this week.

Is this the last thread where the problem of CCI #11 primers pop up? Doubt it. Because gun owners, across all of America, are beyond frustrated at this point.

Last edited:
At the risk of invoking yet another hateful post, search CCI #11. This forum is littered with story after story of faulty CCI primers. Is everyone making this up? Is this #11 problem only on this forum? Nope. Search the entire internet. Problems galore.

Let's address shutting the CCI manufacturing facility. Shutting down their operation is exactly the right thing to do at this point. Stop production. Study the problem. Come up with a solution to the problem. Then remedy the problem.

Then get the line up and running again. Producing a failure rate below 1%. Shooters could handle 1 failure out of 100 if they knew the other 99 were sure fire GTG. Who in the hell wants to go hunting when they literally can't depend on their tin of primers? The answer is no one.

There is not another product on this planet where a person would accept a product working just 2 times out of 5. Sorry, Boss, the truck refused to start 2 times this week.

Is this the last thread where the problem of CCI #11 primers pop up? Doubt it. Because gun owners, across all of America, are beyond frustrated at this point.
For hunting your are right. If I equate it to self defense, I will not carry a gun or use ammo that can't go at least 200 consecutive rounds without a problem. For target shooting I'm just happy to get anything and that is why items that are in short supply are often garbage. Without competitive products we have very little leverage and manufacturers have little incentive to produce top quality.

For hunting your are right. If I equate it to self defense, I will not carry a gun or use ammo that can't go at least 200 consecutive rounds without a problem. For target shooting I'm just happy to get anything and that is why items that are in short supply are often garbage. Without competitive products we have very little leverage and manufacturers have little incentive to produce top quality.
If the rumors are true, Fiocchi will be a god send.

They are a top shelf ammo company.

And I can't imagine them putting out anything that isn't 100% GTG.

Be well.

Had some RWS 10.75 that would sometimes take two wacks to go off. Cost my buddy a nice buck. He wasn't happy!
Happened to me too , but figured it out . It seems that the cap was sitting high on the nipple (that $60.00 one)that Baco sells for my TC Renegade but fires on the second strike ! All I did is put nipple in drill and taper it a little bit with sand paper (300 grit) and now it fires every time (100 percent) (promise) Ed

so i opened all 10 tins. only one tin looked proper. all the rest have multiple empty caps and lots off loose propellant floating around in them. I contacted CCI with photos and they are refunding my purchace price but can not send me replacement caps or steer me to a retailer that has caps in stock all they do is ship to wholesalers. I would say that their response was good. fast and helpfull but obviously would be much better if they could have replaced the caps.
Makes me happy to have bought mine 4-5 yrs ago !/Ed

Hawkeye. I feel I have been objective and not piling on the hate. Its great that CCI is refunding my money. Its not great that the money does me no good without functioning caps and they are no able to replace the defective product. its not great that they have problems with quality control and supply. I feel discussing these issues is completely legitimate.

I bought a bunch last fall at walmart for $6 a tin. They all look good visually , just started a new tin, so we will see how they preform. I will use these for plinking and range work so a failure to fire isn't a big deal and at the price I paid I ain't going to complain to much. I save my Winchester Magnum caps for hunting, they are 100% reliable.

Back