• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Bad CCI caps

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
All I use in everything #10/#11/209/LRP /SRP/LPP/SPP , perhaps it's you with the problem! #30+ yrs and tried others but always comeback to what works for me /exception is RWS 1.75 I really like them but the extra cost limits me to 2000 per purchase/Ed
Never had a problem with CCI LRP/SRP/SPP center fire primers.

But I prefer Winchester for some centerfire applications.

Are you saying "Perhaps it's me with the problem exclamation mark" that numerous other forum members are having well documented CCI primer problems as well?

Never had a problem with CCI LRP/SRP/SPP center fire primers.

But I prefer Winchester for some centerfire applications.

Are you saying "Perhaps it's me with the problem exclamation mark" that numerous other forum members are having well documented CCI primer problems as well?
yup

so I did a few things. i installed a new nipple, I cleaned and adjusted my lock. I then tried out a different can of CCI magnum primers. they work just fine. the bad can is still bad about 75% failure rate. Its a good thing its that bad because it is obvious and that can won't be in service.

this bad can of caps is a completely different color. certainly something went wrong.

While we are discussing caps, can anyone tell me the difference between #10 and #11 caps? Besides being one number higher haha
No, seriously, whats the difference?
FB_IMG_1676560222725.jpg

I had a bad tin of CCI musket caps.The priming compound just fell out of the caps.Little round discs laying in the can exact same color as the caps so you couldn’t tell which had primer in and which didnt. 8 or 10 Only one tin never had a problem with any others.

While we are discussing caps, can anyone tell me the difference between #10 and #11 caps? Besides being one number higher haha
No, seriously, whats the difference?
Basically #10 are for pistols and #11 are for rifles.

I was just out last weekend and had 4 bad caps. They looked normal, but wouldn't fire.

I ran out of time, so now I don't know how many in the tin may be bad.

so my 10 tins of CCI #11 magnum caps batch # F163D301 arrived. of the 5 tins I opened just one looks good, shiny and no yellow propellent dust in the tin. the other 4 tins all have multiple empty caps and lots of loose propellant floating around in the tin as well as many complete little round discs of propellant that are not where they are supposed to be in the caps. FWIW the caps that look good seem to work fine.

so i opened all 10 tins. only one tin looked proper. all the rest have multiple empty caps and lots off loose propellant floating around in them. I contacted CCI with photos and they are refunding my purchace price but can not send me replacement caps or steer me to a retailer that has caps in stock all they do is ship to wholesalers. I would say that their response was good. fast and helpfull but obviously would be much better if they could have replaced the caps.

At this juncture if I needed caps is be looking for one of the cap makers and components. Note, I have one. With the festivities in Ukraine I suspect ammunition and related components won’t be in abundance for some time. They will dribble in but not abundant.

Back