• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Bad CCI caps

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
How does one separate the cap from the roll, and how does one affix the cap inside the brass or aluminum cup?
I have 20 rolls of caps, so 2400 individuals, and no problem making the metal portion.
Seems like a hand held hole punch is used for that or a small gasket punch. Use a drop of duco household glue to secure the caps in the cup. About 3 caps per cup.

I just opened a tin of CCI 11 caps that are dull in color and do not work. I’ve tried them on a caplock rifle as well as a cap/ball revolver with slickshot nipples. I’m hopeful the other tins I bought are in better shape.

Duck. what is the batch number?
Nick, I discarded the plastic container. All I have is the tin. The front of the tin has the number 100-311 written underneath “CCI Percussion Caps No 11”. I’m not certain if that helps. One thing is for sure, the caps are much duller in color than my other tins of CCI caps.

your batch number is in black dotted ink on the side of the tin. just curious if its the same as my discolored caps that were bad. F15D301

Another cap report. I just received 10 tins of #11 CCI, all batch # A19E301. I checked all the tins. Some were very dark. I picked the darkest, nastiest looking tin and shot off a couple of blank caps OK. Only one primer was loose out of a cap. So I'll just have to see what happens at the range over time. So far, pretty optimistic.

I'll take a break from picking on CCI and ask a question.

Do people think it odd that all of these "New" copper caps are dark brown and very old looking? Just curious.

I remember when new caps were so shiny and bright you had to wear shades.

So bright you gotta wear shades..... Someone should write a song about that.

I'll take a break from picking on CCI and ask a question.

Do people think it odd that all of these "New" copper caps are dark brown and very old looking? Just curious.

I remember when new caps were so shiny and bright you had to wear shades.

So bright you gotta wear shades..... Someone should write a song about that.
Yep, I'd like to know when these batches were produced. I think in these sparse times a lot of old or otherwise inferior stuff is being sold.

I have a mixed variety of caps between Remington and CCI Magnum/CCI Standard and the only issue I have with the CCI is if the cap is not seated completely down on the nipple it will not go off, as a matter of fact I have not seen any that are dark in color, could be moisture damage from CCI some how in a given lot. Just saying..

I have a mixed variety of caps between Remington and CCI Magnum/CCI Standard and the only issue I have with the CCI is if the cap is not seated completely down on the nipple it will not go off, as a matter of fact I have not seen any that are dark in color, could be moisture damage from CCI some how in a given lot. Just saying..
That's a bad nipple that's bulged or not correct size for the cap. Nipple diameters run all over the place.

Cva/traditions for example are metric and you have to pinch the cap a bit to keep them in place. Now if you run a 1075 German cap... no pinching needed.

That's a bad nipple that's bulged or not correct size for the cap. Nipple diameters run all over the place.

Cva/traditions for example are metric and you have to pinch the cap a bit to keep them in place. Now if you run a 1075 German cap... no pinching needed.
I'm using CVA Ol' Reliable nipples and caps fit snuggly, no pinching needed. With the stock Traditions nipple caps were loose and needed pinching.

CCI won't go BANG??? HAMMER TEST! Hard surface, hammer SMAK! If they go BANG, you've got other problems. Not seated all the way.
Start there before you blame the caps.
CCI Primers? Never had an issue. Hammer test proved it!!

I have a few tins of CCI that are dark and all fire off. According to the lot number code they were manufactured just 2 or 3 months before purchase. Color is not a problem for me as long as they fire off.

Don't know how many thousands of CCI caps and a few hundred Remingtons that I have shot. All worked fine except for a couple hundred CCIs in blister packs I bought on a whim many years ago. The caps were a bit undersized, and had some difficulty seating all the way; a few required two snaps. Caps bought later had no fit problems. I have no complaints with either maker. Bought some Italian caps a couple decades ago, and although they fired, had to take the fired cap off the nipple with a knife. Still have a couple red plastic boxes of them for emergencies.

Back