• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Are we doing a disservice to new flint shooters?

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
What is it about flintlocks? I have been shooting cap locks since the age of 12yrs, a mate built me a lovely Lancaster long rifle with a double tapered barrel and a round faced Jim Chambers lock, about 18 years ago, I rarely use a cap lock for hunting now, the flintlock has just proper grabbed me and I find nothing more satisfying that shooting her well, plenty of rabbits and Kangas have fallen to her, not to mention winning the odd offhand shooting match. It is quite right, if you master the flintlock you shoot anything more modern so much better. Col. Peter Hawker the great English sportsman reckon that flint locks shot much harder than detonator guns. I have not quite figured that one out yet.

What draws us to ml? Dirty, slow, limited range, wood that waits to break swell or rot, the barrel the perfect ground for rust.
Any gun since 1900 out does any ml in its class. Modern stocked out does any wood and can be molded to shape.
Everything that draws us to ml is more so in flint.
Crazy ain’t it.

No truer statement has ever been made.
"Modern stuff is harvesting and old stuff is hunting"

I am also a traditional bowhunter. When asked by my buddies who are obsessed with the latest, greatest and fastest compound bows why I choose to hunt that way, I tell them that speed just helps you miss faster. You have to know how to hunt.
Any animal taken with a stick and string or a belch of black powder is a trophy and gives a very deep sense of satisfaction and accomplishment.

Back