• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Any interest in a copper pot build?

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Why would they not have referred to a reflector oven as a dutch oven? I understand today's dutch ovens and enjoy cooking in them in which case under normal circumstances that is what I would understand the word to mean specifically them, it is also not a far stretch to see a bake Kettle as a dutch oven as it is essentially what our dutch oven are today. Other ovens are relatively obvious such as a earthen oven/clay oven. But the reflector oven? Are you sure that is not a reflector oven? If I recall they did mention a tin oven which you would assume is a reflector and with the absence of a copper or a brass oven it is not safe to assume that reflector ovens where not made of other metals, and it would be understandable for a copper reflector oven to be named something else as copper or brass would likely be an earlier version giving reason to specify a"tin" oven stating it was a newer lighter and probably cheaper version than copper or brass maintaining the word oven and using tin to specify it's difference also resulting in a bake Kettle being different than a dutch oven and we are the ones that likely prier to even the older crowd here changed the word dutch oven to mean a bake Kettle instead of the original copper or brass reflector oven.
Just a thought to keep debate going.
I really need to learn to shorten these up

A question from a nit picker.
If you were to make a copper pot where would you secure the copper..
Would the copper used for guttering be safe to use for cooking after being reshaped? or would you have to secure coppersuitible for culinary use?

I know you should;t cook in the metal made from lead and tin for obvious reasons I was wondering if there was some risk in randomly acquired copper.

About 15 or so years ago there was a sudden disappearance of all the guttering from an abandoned hospital and later from a form posh neighborhood.

These are the thoughts that crossed my thoughts about homemade copper pots etc made from scraps.

The German Kitchen crew from the luxury liner Bremen which was caught in the New York Harbour at the break of Germanu's opening hostilities in 1941, were shipped off to Salt Lake City, Utahm far from defense systems available in the east, I worked in the kitchen and admired the huge and varied Copper utensils they either brought with them of belong to the Hotel..
They require a to of cleaning and maintenance but can be beautiful.

Dutch Schoultz

Unless contaminated with lead solder, there should be no issue with using copper sheeting scraps...

nhmoose said:
Sick of modern lawyer speak dudes.

Asking where the copper is being sourced from is a fair question to ask, it gives others interested in similar projects some ideas on where to start looking and also information on what sources to avoid. You seldom ever get pure anything nowadays, alloying elements and chemicals are added to enhance the properties for a given application and to save on cost.

I\m sick of Lawyer speak myself, looking for something they can sue about.
In the early years of this country, and I believe in England as well it was common to serve your meals on pewter dishes that would polish up nicely and resemble silver.
At about that same time people were making money by eating tomatoes in public. They were called Love Apples forgo known reason. Peopleknew that tomatoes made you crazy. .
The reason for that rumor was because pewter at that time was an alloy of tin and lead and the acid in the tomatoes leeched enough lead out of the dishes to cause permanent brain damage.
No lawyers were required, it ruined enough people''slives to attract attention. People who made hats used lead in the firming up process hence the term "Mad as a hatter". Still no layers
How wonderful to make a beautiful product from random products and have your son stop growing or your wife die.

You don't have to be lawyery but you might to be certain you have avoided stupidity

Dutch Schoultz

Dutch Schoultz said:
People who made hats used lead in the firming up process hence the term "Mad as a hatter".
Mercury was used. Readily absorbed through the skin and is neurotoxic.

As to the rest - what does it matter? The Romans put lead acetate in their wine to sweeten it. L&C used lead acetate in their eye wash while there was mercury in the Thunderbolts and their cure for the pox. We probably absorb more lead playing with Muzzleloading rifles that most other people, and yet...

About 15n
years ago there was an expressed concern in the Northwest about the fumes inhaled while casting lead balls and several people then active on the internet whent and had themselves checked to find how much lead toxins they had absorbed and were surprised to learn they had absorbed none whatever.
The decision at that time was to continue casting only in well ventilated areas..

So it was mercury that got the hatters and not lead. I stand corrected

I don't know what it is but I get exhausted getting dressed. I am loking for someone to give me a phone number my daughter can call to inform the Formthat I had checked out., So far no takers.

Dutch

Black Hand said:
The Romans put lead acetate in their wine to sweeten it.

The Romans ingested a tremendous amount of lead from it leaching out of cookware, utensils and other sources. The rising infertility rates this created is widely attributed as a major cause of their collapse.

First, just because something was used years ago doesn't make it safe. I also agree about the alloys, a copper sheet may have other metals in it.
Then...there is the pc aspect. I know the HBC had a copper kettle but how common they were used in other areas I'm not sure.
I also thought that you could boil water, corn, etc. in copper but anything acidic, like meat, fruits, etc. cause a harmful chemical reaction.
Most pots get blackened up from the fire, why not just use steel?

From the information I found, copper used for roofing/flashing in 99.8-99.9% pure. Also, the finest cookware is made from copper as are water pipes. Verdigris needs time to form...

Due to the length of time conversation I will start another topic with the actual build. Not sure about how pure the copper is but in order for anything to be shaped from copper sheet it's gotta be pretty pure, most other metals will make it to hard and brittle. I'll get that other thread started in the next couple hours.

Well, if you are going to make one check out the instructions at http://www.furtrade.org/

Follow this link for instructions

http://www.northwestjournal.ca/XVI1645.htm

With that is there a need for another build? Should have done that whole project before starting the other thread.

Back