• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Another quirky load for dense patterns

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Shot a few shots using 75 gr. 2f, 1 over powder hard card, 80gr.vol. 7 shot, used a 1/2" cushion wad over the shot. probably the best patterns I have ever shot with this trade gun, seemed consistant too, about 4 shots from 20 to 25 yards. It doesn't make sense that this would work, would have never tried it myself. Thank you for sharing this with us. chuck

Yeah ... about that.

I made up several & tried them out today. First shot fired at a gallon milk jug was done while the candle slug was still cool & the tallow/was still solid. With a 1/2" fiber wad over 60 gr.3F, it patterned densely all over the gallon milk jug at 25 yards. There were over a dozen #11 pellets still inside the jug. For practical use, it needs 'mo powder.

The other 2 melted in the 100 something º afternoon weather, resulting in a puddle of tallow containing a buncha shot.

AZbpBurner said:
Yeah ... about that.

I made up several & tried them out today. First shot fired at a gallon milk jug was done while the candle slug was still cool & the tallow/was still solid. With a 1/2" fiber wad over 60 gr.3F, it patterned densely all over the gallon milk jug at 25 yards. There were over a dozen #11 pellets still inside the jug. For practical use, it needs 'mo powder.

The other 2 melted in the 100 something º afternoon weather, resulting in a puddle of tallow containing a buncha shot.

:(

flinch said:
Shot a few shots using 75 gr. 2f, 1 over powder hard card, 80gr.vol. 7 shot, used a 1/2" cushion wad over the shot. probably the best patterns I have ever shot with this trade gun, seemed consistant too, about 4 shots from 20 to 25 yards. It doesn't make sense that this would work, would have never tried it myself. Thank you for sharing this with us. chuck

:metoo:

Maybe the cushion wad over the shot is coming apart and buffering the shot? Maybe has something to do with the whole load being better sealed?

Britsmoothy said:
flinch said:

:metoo:
Maybe the wad acts like an air dam or nose cone preventing the shot column from becoming immediately spread by air at the muzzle upon exit...
Remember every millimeter of projectile movement at the muzzle can translate into feet at the target.

flinch said:

Hey flinch, I just saw this and wanted to thank you for trying the "Skychief Special" and reporting back here. :thumbsup:

Glad it worked so well for you!!! :hatsoff:

Best regards, Skychief.

Skychief,I use the backs of Christmas wrapping paper.Cheap after Christmas and cheaper at yardsales! :grin:

I tested it again today.
Powder, three thin cards, shot and a full wet fibre wad on top.
Shot it at an old tin sheet about 30yds.

Fantastic pattern but!

But there was a wasp nest behind the tin and one stung me on the face just as they started to swarm!
I ran off quick and in the process flicked my glasses off and had no idea!
Took me ages to find them :doh:

B.

:haha: :haha: :haha: I hope you don't blame your painful encounter on shooting a "Skychief Special" Sir!!! :haha:

If it "eases your pain", please know that I had a close encounter with a few hornets a few days ago while working. My ear, which took the brunt of their attack, is still twice as thick as it should be. Talk about painful, I think they had been eating poison ivy all Summer long!!! :shocked2:

Is that the only shot then Britsmoothy? Just the one??? :idunno:

Feel better, Skychief

Dunno bout over seas but here when yer getting attacked its best not to kill one as it will emit an odor that causes the hive (if killer bee variety) to attack in force (or so I've been warned as I was swatting and dancing and freaking a few days ago). :redface:

Ya know when I had my 1st BP scatter gun I was loading backwards too and got a lot better patterns. Powder, thin card, shot and thick wad. I just assumed the thicker card went last to hold the shot in :idunno:

Just the one shot today yes. Tested this and other guns a few times now and get good results.
I was trying to wing shoot today and failed miserably!
That is what lead me to test the pattern and poi again.

B.

I thought I would mention that I have been using this load for squirrel hunting the past week. I've used 60 grains of 3f Goex and an ounce of mixed 4's and 5's.

Nine shots bagged nine gray squirrels. I've never been more confident with a smoothbore load in the squirrel woods.

I hope more will try this card/wad arrangement and find success with it. :thumbsup:

Best regards, Skychief.

Back