• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Pedersoli Double 20 Ga. Flint

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ADK Bigfoot

54 Cal.
Reaction score
I have shot my flint sxs 20 a few times with shot, and have been impressed. Had to learn poa/poi, but was able to break clays once I sorted it out. Yesterday I took it to the range and put it on paper for the first time (I know, I should have done that FIRST.) Found what I expected, a little low (both barrels) at 25 yards, but not bad and well centered l/r. With the Skychief load, the patterns were pretty good (one barrel is cylinder, one has a little choke in it.)

The real surprise was when I tried round balls in it. Powder, over powder wad, cushion wad, bare ball, overshot wad. The cylinder barrel (right) hit to point of aim, dead center, and shot two successive shots into 2-3 inches at 25 yards. The choked barrel was tough to load (I need to go from .618 round balls to .600) with the same sequence. Shot two shots three inches left of the other barrel, same elevation, and again into 2-3 inches. Four shots into a group about the size of a saucer pretty much at point of aim. This dog will hunt! I will return with different diameter round balls, and may even try smaller diameter and patched round balls. Very pleased with the bare ball loads, and the shot groups were fully adequate for hunting small game.

ADK Bigfoot

Nice! Look up some shotgunning sites, as you can change the POI by changing the comb height and/or pitch on the buttplate.

Now is that the one with butt ugly basket weave checkering? I myself would rasp/scrape that off ... and is the only thing stopping me from having one, besides that I already have a custom one ...

Sounds promising. Haven't tried round ball in mine yet. Did get the rifled .63 version tho, but haven't been able to shoot it yet. I get pretty good patterns from the 20 using 7/8 or 1 oz loads using 70 or 80 gr. 2f.

25 yards is on the far side kinda. That's good for 25

My right barrel... 10 ga pedersoli... 30yards goes just a little low and right but its little but still has pepper threw max for birds to far for turkey i think..... closer range 15 20 yards both barrels right on good patterns...

I don't change nothing on point of aim... but I ounce used to let birds fly just a little and then take them but that was modern modified... now with the cyls I go swing and pull close is fine it doesn't over pepper the birds... I don't rush but I don't wait and watch it fly any..

I did the clays with it.. allot of fun but it was not just practice shooting loading i wanted to practice loading cuz in a field woods etc dog going it's not the place to be learning where you put everything lol...

there's like no time to talk etc... soon as I shot I was reloading and soon as I was done I was up again 4 people in front of me wow you learn how handicap it is when they shoot two then reload shooting the double and next and you just poured powder.. it would be fun if everyone was shooting muzzloader but I was up against CZtown

It is fun... id go to the clay range more if I didn't feel out dated

Last edited:
"Now is that the one with butt ugly basket weave checkering? I myself would rasp/scrape that off ... and is the only thing stopping me from having one, besides that I already have a custom one ..."

It is, indeed, the model with the fancy smancy "basket weave" checkering. I would have preferred the standard stock, but this one had received some embellishments by the first owner that made it acceptable. Like an ugly girl that comes with a rich dowry...

ADK Bigfoot

I am looking forward to shooting mine in a few more weeks when the freeze is over. I happen to really like the basket weave. I have numerous other shotguns all with the same basic checkering, and this one has something a little different. Its like the first time I saw a TC with a laminated stock. Different for me is good, as long as it shoots great.

I have shot my flint sxs 20 a few times with shot, and have been impressed. Had to learn poa/poi, but was able to break clays once I sorted it out. Yesterday I took it to the range and put it on paper for the first time (I know, I should have done that FIRST.) Found what I expected, a little low (both barrels) at 25 yards, but not bad and well centered l/r. With the Skychief load, the patterns were pretty good (one barrel is cylinder, one has a little choke in it.)

The real surprise was when I tried round balls in it. Powder, over powder wad, cushion wad, bare ball, overshot wad. The cylinder barrel (right) hit to point of aim, dead center, and shot two successive shots into 2-3 inches at 25 yards. The choked barrel was tough to load (I need to go from .618 round balls to .600) with the same sequence. Shot two shots three inches left of the other barrel, same elevation, and again into 2-3 inches. Four shots into a group about the size of a saucer pretty much at point of aim. This dog will hunt! I will return with different diameter round balls, and may even try smaller diameter and patched round balls. Very pleased with the bare ball loads, and the shot groups were fully adequate for hunting small game.

ADK Bigfoot
I also shoot .60 in both of mine. RB in right barrel and #1 and #3 buck in the left barrel. I love both mine.

I had a Pedersoli side by side once in percussion. I didn't know squat about loads. Tried and tried to make the patterns right. Never did. Another thing I learned about that beautiful gun was the lock tome was vastly slower than a smokeless plastic shell gun. At the range once shooting at clays with friends and after missing many times I tried a regular pump gun. I was amazed at the difference in how slow permissions are. When shooting m/l percussion rifles, the shooter does not realize how slow they really are. I can't imagine shooting a flintlock side by side shooting at moving targets.

I have come a long way since my adventures with my double Pedersoli. A very long way. Now I understand how much difference there is between an unmentionable scatter gun and a black powder smooth bore, I feel really excited about the upcoming KIbler. Gotta have one and I'm committed to never ever using it as a round ball gun. (Got flint rifles for that.) This forum has taught me to not compare a flint or percussion smooth gun to modern. I am so excited to shoot and hunt with a real bp smooth bore. With an arsenal of rifle, pistol, and fowler, I am certain I will never again enter the wildwood with anything other than what early Americans used. Maybe I will still go to the trap range with my o/u 20 (with my smokeless shooting friends,) but for serious authentic purposes, I think anything other than historically correct guns is a waste of time when we might have used our much loved muzzle loaders. I hate that it took me this long to arrive at that conclusion. Other than my ECD guns and those arms we all will need in case if the worst that might threaten us, muzzle loaders are all I want. Anyone else have that restrictive stance? For many, that concept is intolerable, and for me, the limitations of muzzle loading comes with a certain kind of liberation in that once a man knows he loves front stuffers, all else detracts from what we like best. It might be said "why we can't do both" and that is a valid point. I am only referring to my arrival at MY place, and have no need or intention to convince anyone to be like me And phooey; I always end up entering too much of my personal stance. I don't mean to push my way onto anyone.
Mike

Latest posts

Back