• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Another quirky load for dense patterns

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Great report! :hatsoff:

Do the plastic wads that you use have a flat bottom that matches the 1/2 inch wads or are they concave like most plastic wads are?

If they are concave, I speculate that this also contributes to poor patterning when using a 1/2 inch wad.
Try them without an over powder wad.

great report however we all know what doesn't work in one gun could make mine pattern tighter than ever? I got a 20 dbl I need to get back out and "dial in" Hoping to stay away from wads but will try the paper roll way A kind member sent me info on months ago and also the reverse of the over powder and over shot cards/wads (thats how I originally loaded my pedresoli 10 ga and it worked very well). If I must I will try wads though, I intend to get a pattern outta this gun or have said that I died trying! I love it even though it slaps the danged manure outta my cheek! I will also learn to properly hold it sooner rather than later as after 5-6 shots I have a cheek ache for 2 weeks! and that with 55 gr loads!

The cups are pretty flat on the bottom. I'd have to check the bag to be certain, but I think they are the BP12 wads from Ballistic Products. They are a little smaller in diameter than normal wads, so they fit down the choked barrels without to much issue.

I've got a roll of 36" wide craft paper coming this week so I am going to try to get out next weekend to get a feel for overall pattern size and quality at different yardages.

If shooting without a cup seems to work better, then I will dump them and just keep a close eye for scoring in the bores. The gun shoots lead great without any cups.

Interesting Capt Fred.

I have a suspicion that the Skychief Special loading may work best out of unchoked barrels, using no shot cups of any sort.

That is strictly a suspicion on my part as I have never tried them in choked barrels, nor with shot cups.

Best regards, Skychief

OK, after following this for a while I'm convinced and will try to pattern the Skychief Special in my 12ga SxS and 24ga SxS before going on my next quail hunt.

Alright, I did a whole bunch more shooting today and basically ended up back where I started.

I described the gun in my previous post, but for those who didn't see that - it is a 12 gauge double flintlock choked mod. and full. I've moved from #6 shot to #4 shot and I am shooting some pretty stout loads due to the fact that I was not getting the knock down results I wanted while duck hunting the last couple of years.

Today I tried lots of different combos - with plastic cups, without plastic cups, 1/4 inch wads, 1/2 inch wads, wads above shot and wads below shot, more shot, less shot, less powder, etc. I shot at a 36" X 36" piece of paper to see the size and quality of the patterns. All shot from 30 yards.

These barrels don't like the thick (1/2") wads anywhere in the loading process. They totally destroyed the patterns when placed below the shot, and added some big holes in the pattern when placed above.

The loads with 1/4" wads seemed to behave the similar to the 1/2" wads but without causing quite as much damage to the pattern

The best patterns were this:

100 grains of FF, two overshot cards, one slit plastic cup, 110 grains (volume) of #4 ITX original, and two overshot cards on top of everything. This loading gives decent patterns without too many big holes in the pattern. This also give me plenty of velocity when put to the "tin can" test.

So, since that is the loading I've been using the last few weeks, I know where the problem lies - with ME! :surrender: The ducks that I knew I'd made a good shot on dropped like stones, but the ones that got away clearly can't be blamed on poor patterns.

I think Skychief is right that with choked guns his system may not work as well. But I find it very interesting that any wads below the shot gave the worst patterns out of this gun, no matter how I loaded it.

Try 7/32 thick vegetable tanned leather wad .75 diameter very lightly lubed for OP, no shot wad and just a thin OS card. Drop the powder charge back to 80 grains and use 3fff.

I have had the same experiences in an 11 ga flinter with a jug choke and a colerain turkey barrelled flinter. Thick wads not good patterns, card wads much better, with or without any kind of shot cup. But I never went thru the effort to properly record and evaluate as you have. Thanks much to all who have done such work at the range!

I've got some scraps of real thick leather I will try. I've been wanting to experiment with 3F too, so I'll try that combo and see what it does.

Thanks!

Back