• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

An English Newbie

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Welcome from Winchester, VA! Spent 10 years in London myself and loved it.
Thanks VA.

I love London too. My uncle used to live there so with visiting him and spending a month there doing security for the Olympic Supporting Events, I’ve spent about a year in London. I would however love to visit America one day.

That was actually a thought that popped into my head yesterday and I was going to ask about. Means I don’t need to wait for a variation either which is great. What about smoothbore pistols?
Absolutely, regarding variation.

Smoothbore pistols (or anything with a barrel under 24") must be regarded as FAC domain. The purpose of that is to deliberately exclude sawn-off shotguns and pistols from the shotgun definition.

The other great thing with the Shotgun cert is that you are not limited in how many you can have, in principle. Why I think this is great is that a muzzle loader can experiment with all sorts of smoothbores, where he'd be a lot more restricted with rifles.

For instance, my friends and I are very interested in the various iterations and developments of Enfield (P1853) rifle, but the police are loathe to give us more than one slot in any calibre. It takes quite a lot of negotiation to be allowed more that one .577. One friend, who has satisfied them that he is a historical collector, has a three band and a two-band in .577. Now, had the Enfield been a musket, he could have had any number of .577s on his shotgun licence, no problem.

With that in mind, there's a lot to be said for developing an interest in muzzle loaded smoothbores, and especially a particular development. For me, that might well be the Baker (curiously, the only repro I am aware of is smoothbore, where the original was rifled), as I am thinking of re-enacting with the 95th Rifles.

Welcome to the group! As a long time black powder shooter in the UK I'm always happy to help with any advice. Best wishes.

Last edited:
Hi DAVI, Welcome from Middle England where the Four Counties Meet.
If you haven't already, look up The Muzzle Loaders of Great Britian. Lots of Great Info and a number of Clay and Rifle shooters up in the Borders area near you.. Big National Calender for Clays,Pistols and Rifles. Bit far south but we have our own 100mtr range at Wedgnock Near Warwick.. OLD DOG..

Hi DAVI, Welcome from Middle England where the Four Counties Meet.
If you haven't already, look up The Muzzle Loaders of Great Britian. Lots of Great Info and a number of Clay and Rifle shooters up in the Borders area near you.. Big National Calender for Clays,Pistols and Rifles. Bit far south but we have our own 100mtr range at Wedgnock Near Warwick.. OLD DOG..
Thanks, I’ll take a look

Hi All.

I was recommended to join this forum as I'm a newbie to muzzle loading and was told this is the best forum to learn from.

I live in the UK and Ive been shooting rimfire/centrefire for approximately 4 years. I completed my muzzle loading instruction at my gun club yesterday so I'm now going to be asking for permission to bu a couple of traditional and in-line muzzle loaders.
One more Howdy from North Texas and welcome to the forum. I'm born and bred on the Muddy Red River.

Hi All.

I was recommended to join this forum as I'm a newbie to muzzle loading and was told this is the best forum to learn from.

I live in the UK and Ive been shooting rimfire/centrefire for approximately 4 years. I completed my muzzle loading instruction at my gun club yesterday so I'm now going to be asking for permission to bu a couple of traditional and in-line muzzle loaders.

Welcome from another inhabitant of the UK. But I have a question for you. I've been shooting here in UK, on and off, since 1968, and I've only ever seen ONE in-line rifle. BTW, we don't talk about them on this forum - read the rules. so why the 'love' for such a strange item?

Welcome from another inhabitant of the UK. But I have a question for you. I've been shooting here in UK, on and off, since 1968, and I've only ever seen ONE in-line rifle. BTW, we don't talk about them on this forum - read the rules. so why the 'love' for such a strange item?
Thanks again everyone for the welcomes.

I like almost all firearms for one reason or another but mainly because it’s old technology being revamped to make it as good as it can be.

Back