• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Hello all.

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
I'm JDBraddy in Central Texas, am a long time shooter/reloader, but am a total novice with muzzle loaders. I have had a sort of disappointing introduction so farr, went to a local muzzleloading match, joined the club, and bought a used .50cal CVA tracker carbine on a for-sale table as an entry level piece to learn with. Went to Bass Pro, bought Pyrodex, #11 caps, and .495" balls. Went to the range, loaded the rifle, aimed, and the cap went off, but the charge didn't. Tried to troubleshoot, nipple was clogged, removed and cleaned it out, tried again without any luck, took it back apart cleaned out nipple and breech plug, but noticed my probe went all the way to the far side of the barrel without hitting any powder charge, and realized there must be something in the barrel between the breech plug and the charge, I had no way to pull the ball and charge, so had to take it to, and leave it with, a local gunsmith who said he successfully pulled my ball and removed the powder, but said another pathched ball was below it, and that it had been damaged by previous attempts to pull it. He said he would charge $100 and keep it this week to disassemble, remove the barrel and clear it. The member who sold it, told me nothing except what a good shooter the rifle was. That's what was most disappointing. I thought about calling him, but have decided the best response will be to get it working, practice, and beat him with it in a match.

Welcome JD,
WOW sorry to hear bout your rifle tribulations...
For you current rifle, being an inline, you're going to want to check out our sister site, Modern Muzzleloader Muzzleloading Forum. This forum is dedicated to the older style, "traditional" muzzleloaders. To save you frustration since we don't discuss inlines here, try our sister site. Good luck getting that rifle back "on the line". :thumb:

LD

Welcome aboard from New England!

216020-Welcome-Aboard.jpeg

Welcome JD,
For you current rifle, being an inline, you're going to want to check out our sister site, Modern Muzzleloader Muzzleloading Forum. This forum is dedicated to the older style, "traditional" muzzleloaders. To save you frustration since we don't discuss inlines here, try our sister site. Good luck getting that rifle back "on the line". :thumb:

LD
It looks like a CVA Tracker is a traditional sidelock, but there is a Traditions Tracker that is an inline. I found an old thread where Zonie clarified that. I believe the OP's rifle is OK to discuss here.

Welcome from Missouri @JDBraddy!

I'm JDBraddy in Central Texas, am a long time shooter/reloader, but am a total novice with muzzle loaders. I have had a sort of disappointing introduction so farr, went to a local muzzleloading match, joined the club, and bought a used .50cal CVA tracker carbine on a for-sale table as an entry level piece to learn with. Went to Bass Pro, bought Pyrodex, #11 caps, and .495" balls. Went to the range, loaded the rifle, aimed, and the cap went off, but the charge didn't. Tried to troubleshoot, nipple was clogged, removed and cleaned it out, tried again without any luck, took it back apart cleaned out nipple and breech plug, but noticed my probe went all the way to the far side of the barrel without hitting any powder charge, and realized there must be something in the barrel between the breech plug and the charge, I had no way to pull the ball and charge, so had to take it to, and leave it with, a local gunsmith who said he successfully pulled my ball and removed the powder, but said another pathched ball was below it, and that it had been damaged by previous attempts to pull it. He said he would charge $100 and keep it this week to disassemble, remove the barrel and clear it. The member who sold it, told me nothing except what a good shooter the rifle was. That's what was most disappointing. I thought about calling him, but have decided the best response will be to get it working, practice, and beat him with it in a match.
Welcome

It’ll get better. Get some books and do some reading. Probably throw the pyrodex away. My opinion. It’s more corrosive.

There are lots of great books (many sold for cheap, used, on Amazon). Foxfire 5 is good. Sam Fadala was a great author for this. If you see Muzzleloader Magazine, Mike Nesbitt is great.

Welcome JD,

LD
Sorry, my bad, it's a CVA Stalker Carbine, not a Tracker in-line. Similar to the one in the image
thumb_free.jpg

Latest posts

Back