• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

All around shotgun

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

boker

40 Cal.
Reaction score
I am thinking about getting a smooth bore built for hunting.

is it possible to have a smooth bore that can be used to hunt a wide range of species such as deer , squirrels and turkey?

If so what are y’all’s recommendations?

12ga, jug choked by Caywood's, .32"/36" heavy barrel oct./rd. or tapered rd. with front and rear sights. This will handle anything up to and including bears, your choice of percussion or flintlock, with a strap for carrying. Loads from light dove and quail to monster loads for pteradactyles. And the jug choke will allow the use of PRBs.

I had a .62/20ga Fowler 42” cylinder bore bbl built for just the reasons you stated. I have taken it out a few times for deer, turkey, and tree rats...no kills yet to date. It a great shooter with shot and prb’s! Just got to work up different loads for the game you want to hunt and distance within reason. If you enjoy shooting and working up loads then a smoothie will keep you busy! Also my fowler has no rear sight and aslong as i do my part with prb’s i reck havic on steel plates out to 50-60 yards! This one was built by TVM...
F9C83BDA-4F0F-4D4D-887D-92507FF298F2.jpeg

I had a .62/20ga Fowler 42” cylinder bore bbl built for just the reasons you stated. I have taken it out a few times for deer, turkey, and tree rats...no kills yet to date. It a great shooter with shot and prb’s! Just got to work up different loads for the game you want to hunt and distance within reason. If you enjoy shooting and working up loads then a smoothie will keep you busy! Also my fowler has no rear sight and aslong as i do my part with prb’s i reck havic on steel plates out to 50-60 yards! This one was built by TVM...View attachment 50396
Beautiful!

My flintlock smoothbore is a .62 X 38" cylinder bore. I use a .32 or .36 for small game but the smoothbore has taken deer with ball. For turkey only shot is allowed here.
Digital-Still-Camera.jpg

Yes. Depends on what you do. Examples in my opinion would be-

A) small game, deer, upland birds, jump shooting pond/creek ducks? Then a fine 62/20 would be perfect.

B) all of the above but add in decoying ducks/geese and the occasional pass shooting at geese? Then a 72/12 would be better.

C) no small game, some deer and an emphasis on waterfowl? Then a 10 would be ideal.

All this said, a 62/20 trade or fowler is really hard to beat as an all around do it all game getter.

For your expressed purposes, I don't think you could do better than a 62 cal/ 20 gauge. Round ball for bigger game & shotgun loads from 1 1/2 oz to 7/8 oz for about anything else.

I like the word FOWELER, better than shot gung for single barreled guns, smooth bore. JMHO.

Yes.
After that, it is more a matter of taste and personal preference. I shot my first muzzleloader deer with a smoothbore, I shot my first turkeys with the same gun. I kind of wish I had kept it and if I could have figured a way to mount a fishing reel on it I would have. It has a good home so I'm okay with it.
Robby

For a variety of reasons, I would think a 16 gauge smooth bored fowling gun would fit the bill.

A 16 gauge is a common caliber.

A 16 gauge barrel is built on the same barrel profile as a 20 gauge so the overall weight would be less. It would be a delight to carry and handle.

The load can easily be tailored to the game being hunted.

The charge can be loaded up for turkey and down for squirrels and rabbits.

The 16 gauge ball is quite effective on deer sized animals as well as elk and mule deer.

Where you live can have a determining factor. I know here in Indiana 20 gauge is the the smallest you can hunt turkeys with. So you might want to check your states regulations.

I have a 20 ga. cylinder bore French Fusil Fin trade gun. With this gun I have taken a bear, many deer, many turkeys, squirrels, rabbits, woodchuck, duck, quail, and chukar, Very effective with either round ball or shot. Have friends who have taken buffalo with 20 gage trade guns, through and through shots. 20 gage is large enough for any game in North America, with possible exception of grizzly bears.....and I am not going to try to find out.

Back