• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

.36 caliber

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
With RB, you'd be fine with ~20gr. Them intermediate rate of twist barrels really open your groups with heavier charges, IMHO. Increase your load gradual like, till your groups start to open up then back off a scoach.
I used to have one of those Frontiers in .50. It was part of a consignment for Cabelas that features the DeLuxe curly maple stock without all the brass. I liked it so good that I kept the stock, ferrules, and trigger. Replaced the barrel with a .45 Rice and the lock with a L&R Ketland.

From my experience with the Frontier, I might advise you to order spare ferrule screws. DO IT RITE MEOW! That's how the barrel is mounted, and Elisa over at Pedersoli will make sure you don't get 'em afore the seasons change.
Hello DM,
When you say increments, do you mean 5 grains at a time?
I've seen pictures of the deluxe curly maple, and would like to find one like that.
Question, what is Ferrell screws? I'm new to the Pedersoli like this.
Aj

My kibler smr .36 likes 30 gns.

When I had a .36 flintlock years ago I got great results with anything from 25 to 60 grains with a .350 “ patched ball. Finally settled on 40 grains as an everyday load for rabbits to groundhogs.
These are not smokeless powder cartridge guns, so if you way more powder than needed or is practical, no harm is done to the gun.
1 1/2” 3-shot groups from a rest on a windless day were possible at times, but not common.
2 1/2” groups were more likely when I was having a good day.
That's a wide range between 25-60. Didn't know what the upper range could be on a .36 caliber.
Hey smoothshooter, how far out was you in terms of yards?
Thanks

I use 100% tight weave wool .015 patches from TOTW. Also use TOTW mink oil for lube.
Thanks. I have to TOTW Mink oil, but never tried it yet. I'll check the tight weave wool. Is this material that would have been historically correct, or just what they sell for patch material?

Hello DM,
When you say increments, do you mean 5 grains at a time?
I've seen pictures of the deluxe curly maple, and would like to find one like that.
Question, what is Ferrell screws? I'm new to the Pedersoli like this.
Aj
Ferrules are the brass pipes the ramrod sits in.

Normally, with longrifles the barrel is pinned to the stock. With the Frontier the barrel has dovetails with threaded blanks in them. The screw basically clamps the stock twixt barrel and ferrule.

Here's a link to a diagram. #13 is the lucky number, who'da thunk?
https://shop.davide-pedersoli.com/pdf-files/S267-S266-S268-S269.pdf

Sorry. Bidenitis moment. I evades the question. I'd increment half that. 2 1/2 gr. I got a tiny brass priming flask that'll throw about that.

Gotcha! Thanks a bunch for the diagram. I didn't have a clue. I printed it off and will be ordering some.
Will have them on hand.

Not trying to hijack this thread, but the ferrule screw issue caught my attention, as I have a .54 cal Pedersoli Blue Ridge Rifle (same gun as Frontier, but with blued barrel). DMofJ, what type of issues did you have with the screws? Losing them, or did they fail, etc.?

Thanks,

‘Poet

That's a wide range between 25-60. Didn't know what the upper range could be on a .36 caliber.
Hey smoothshooter, how far out was you in terms of yards?
Thanks
100 yards and under. The 100 yard groups were fired using 60 grains.

Not trying to hijack this thread, but the ferrule screw issue caught my attention, as I have a .54 cal Pedersoli Blue Ridge Rifle (same gun as Frontier, but with blued barrel). DMofJ, what type of issues did you have with the screws? Losing them, or did they fail, etc.?

Thanks,

‘Poet
First, I lost one, then I dealt with Elisa. I lost another one when I replaced the barrel, but I had 7 left still at that point.

This is not a gun you break down often. Cross-treading one of them is not going to make you happy.

Gotcha! Thanks a bunch for the diagram. I didn't have a clue. I printed it off and will be ordering some.
Will have them on hand.

Sorry. Bidenitis moment. I evades the question. I'd increment half that. 2 1/2 gr. I got a tiny brass priming flask that'll throw about that.

100 yards and under. The 100 yard groups were fired using 60 grains.
Wow, I think that's pretty amazing at 100 yards.
Thanks Smoothy

My Pedersoli Frontier .36 is very happy with .350 ball, Pillow ticking damp with 50/50 Dawn/water for an easy slide down. I use an over-powder card so patch will not effect powder even if not shot for a while. I never swab between shots, no need with this patch lube. 30 gr. 3F; sometimes 25 gr., depending on winds. Ferrules have never been a problem during many years of shooting....this flintlock is about a faultless as any could be...very accurate! I have loaned it several times to friends with the above advice...they all returned it as I lent it....and most purchased one for themselves. No wonder Pedersoli has kept this flinter in inventory for so many years!

Side Note: I have a .50cal Hatfield "identical" twin with an original Pedersoli bbl. that I bought in the late .80's (tells you how long I have had it) from T.Hatfields' store myself. Very accurate flintlock! In the past I posted on this site my history with this Hatfield rifle. I can't find any difference what-so-ever between these rifles except for caliber and one is many, many decades older than the other! Pedersoli copied this original Hatfield design with their Frontier.

Because I enjoy only shooting the .36 nowadays...someday I may sell my beautiful Hatfield. Maybe not.

Last edited by a moderator:
Thanks. I have to TOTW Mink oil, but never tried it yet. I'll check the tight weave wool. Is this material that would have been historically correct, or just what they sell for patch material?
I don't know how historically correct. but this is what works in my Blue Ridge, same gun as the Frontier. Your gun may like .350s and a different patch thickness, you just have to shoot it to find out.

My Pedersoli Frontier .36 is very happy with .350 ball, Pillow ticking damp with 50/50 Dawn/water for an easy slide down. I use an over-powder card so patch will not effect powder even if not shot for a while. I never swab between shots, no need with this patch lube. 30 gr. 3F; sometimes 25 gr., depending on winds. Ferrules have never been a problem during many years of shooting....this flintlock is about a faultless as any could be...very accurate! I have loaned it several times to friends with the above advice...they all returned it as I lent it....and most purchased one for themselves. No wonder Pedersoli has kept this flinter in inventory for so many years!

Side Note: I have a .50cal Hatfield "identical" twin with an original Pedersoli bbl. that I bought in the late .80's (tells you how long I have had it) from T.Hatfields' store myself. Very accurate flintlock! In the past I posted on this site my history with this Hatfield rifle. I can't find any difference what-so-ever between these rifles except for caliber and one is many, many decades older than the other! Pedersoli copied this original Hatfield design with their Frontier.

Because I enjoy only shooting the .36 nowadays...someday I may sell my beautiful Hatfield. Maybe not.
Thanks for the advice. The reason I purchased the Pedersoli Frontier is that it looked just like the Hatfield, or as close as you could get to one. Now you really got me excited about putting lead down the barrel.
If you change your mind about the Hatfield, I'm in.
(Probably can't afford it) but will be interested.

My H&A underhammer was best suited with 25 for very light shooting and 40 for a max type load. Definitely got a good Crack out of that with Swiss FFFG powder!

I hunted squirrels with mine using 30 grains of 3F and man but that load did shoot! I've been using 20 grns the past couple of years and it is only a smidge behind the 30 grn charge. A friend and I put up a Coke one liter bottle at 80 yards and tested the 20 grn load a few dozen shots. Finding the correct elevation after two shots I was able to hit the bottle virtually every time.

I hunted squirrels with mine using 30 grains of 3F and man but that load did shoot! I've been using 20 grns the past couple of years and it is only a smidge behind the 30 grn charge. A friend and I put up a Coke one liter bottle at 80 yards and tested the 20 grn load a few dozen shots. Finding the correct elevation after two shots I was able to hit the bottle virtually every time.
I'm hearing many more people saying that 30 grains is what they use. This will give me a good start. I purchased it for squirrels anyway. I'll start there and then go down or up.
Thanks hanshi

Latest posts

Back