• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

.54 halfstock

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
I recently acquired a used .54 percussion that appears to be custom built.
The underside of the barrel is marked 1:48 which I know is a 1 in 48 twist. All of my other rifles are 1 in 60 or 1 in 66 and I prefer to shoot PRB as a matter of choice. My question is with a 1 in 48 twist will it shoot PRB effectively and if not what should I try shooting out of it?

The underside of the barrel is marked 1:48 which I know is a 1 in 48 twist. All of my other rifles are 1 in 60 or 1 in 66 and I prefer to shoot PRB as a matter of choice. My question is with a 1 in 48 twist will it shoot PRB effectively and if not what should I try shooting out of it?
If the bore has shallow rifling (well less than .010” deep), it may handle conicals well, particularly shorter ones like a REAL. That said, I would start with tight fitting patched roundball for a baseline and go from there.

Original Hawken rifles had 1-48” twist. 👍🏻

"Appears to be custom build."

Pictures?

I’ll try to post some when I get back home. Right now I’m about 3,500 miles from all of my guns…..

IMG_8085.jpegIMG_8098.jpegIMG_8098.jpeg

Attachments

• IMG_8097.jpeg
    IMG_8097.jpeg
    3.3 MB · Views: 0
  • IMG_8096.jpeg
    IMG_8096.jpeg
    2.9 MB · Views: 0
  • IMG_8095.jpeg
    IMG_8095.jpeg
    4.2 MB · Views: 0
  • IMG_8094.jpeg
    IMG_8094.jpeg
    4.8 MB · Views: 0
Got the rifle to the range. You are all correct in that it groups really well. Benched at 50 yds, 50 grains FFg. I threw the first round due to a hang fire. As is the case with all of my BP rifles I need to file down and/or replace the front sight. The blade is really thin and my old eyes just are t what they used to be. Overall I am happy with it and will get back to the range after it quits snowing…..

Nice rifle, the front sight looks like an unfinished blank. Most folks like to taper them to the front. A thin piece of wood with a slot sawn in it that slides over it makes it easy to file to shape. Taking a small amount off the top can be done when you decide your load.
92536486-6250-45C6-A7E7-D6A11DDAB2E1 by Oliver Sudden, on Flickr

Nice rifle, the front sight looks like an unfinished blank. Most folks like to taper them to the front. A thin piece of wood with a slot sawn in it that slides over it makes it easy to file to shape. Taking a small amount off the top can be done when you decide your load.
92536486-6250-45C6-A7E7-D6A11DDAB2E1 by Oliver Sudden, on Flickr
The wood block with a slot in it is a great idea. Can’t wait to get it to the range again.

Back