• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

.36 caliber

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I'm hearing many more people saying that 30 grains is what they use. This will give me a good start. I purchased it for squirrels anyway. I'll start there and then go down or up.
Thanks hanshi
The usual method is to start low and work up. That's because it's easier to start at one end and work to the other than start in the middle and work both ways. I'd start with 20gr, increase in 2 or 2 1/2gr increments till I find the "sweet spot."
Most important thing in my possibles bag is a little notebook and pencil. Has to be a pencil. Ink-pens leak. Ask me how I know this.

Thanks for your help D Of M. At what range should I start shooting, 15, 20, 25, 30 yards?
That's really up to you. I'd start off at maybe 20. Shorter range forgives shooter error to a greater degree. Once you have a good load, move the mark out to 50 or wherever. Don't be surprised if you have tight groups but they stack slightly differently at different ranges. I have noticed that and put it down to the faster twist than was traditional for RB, but I'm still dipping my toes into learning about how velocity, bearing surface of the projectile, resistance. and rate of twist interact with one another. Hence the notebook and pencil.

Latest posts

Back