• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

.36 caliber

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
It don't take much to send that little ball at squirrel killing ranges. Starting at 25 is a good way to go. Your particular rifle might like a specific load so, with a little testing, she'll tell you what she likes.

What would be the maximum charge?
When I had a .36 flintlock years ago I got great results with anything from 25 to 60 grains with a .350 “ patched ball. Finally settled on 40 grains as an everyday load for rabbits to groundhogs.
These are not smokeless powder cartridge guns, so if you load way more powder than needed or is practical, no harm is done to the gun.
1 1/2” 3-shot groups from a rest on a windless day were possible at times, but not common.
2 1/2” groups were more likely when I was having a good day.

Last edited:
Pedersoli Frontier
With RB, you'd be fine with ~20gr. Them intermediate rate of twist barrels really open your groups with heavier charges, IMHO. Increase your load gradual like, till your groups start to open up then back off a scoach.
I used to have one of those Frontiers in .50. It was part of a consignment for Cabelas that features the DeLuxe curly maple stock without all the brass. I liked it so good that I kept the stock, ferrules, and trigger. Replaced the barrel with a .45 Rice and the lock with a L&R Ketland.

From my experience with the Frontier, I might advise you to order spare ferrule screws. DO IT RITE MEOW! That's how the barrel is mounted, and Elisa over at Pedersoli will make sure you don't get 'em afore the seasons change.

My Hawken style Investarms 36 really likes 30gr BP 3f .035 RB. .015 lubed patch. Peep sight will shoot 1 ragged hole at 50 yards.
Thanks Transyank,
I was going to try the .350 diameter balls. I have some .010 natural linen from Townsends soaked with my own rendered down sheep fat (Tallow) that works on my .50 caliber.
I may go up to .015 and try that.
Appreciate the help.
Aj

Back