• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Would you use an original gun barrel to build a new gun ?

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
thank you everyone for the replies. the breech area looks great after cleaning the rust from it. i will proof test it safely and i will update you all when it's done

Don’t believe OP mentioned a stuck ball.

He didn't, I did back on page one. That barrel should have a patent breech and it sure looks like a lead ball sitting down there in that first photo. If so, it would be a really good idea to get the ball and possible charge out of there before making any decisions about whether the barrel is useable or rotted to oblivion behind the ball.

Did you pull the ball?
i did not see a ball. it looks like this is the breech as i can see the hole where the percussion cap vents into the barrel on the left. tried using a ball puller just in case and it was not able to grab anything. evaporust removed the rest of the rust from the breech

1700100813032.png

Last edited:
You don’t mention in your update whether or not you removed the breech plug? Unless I missed it in an earlier post.

I have not removed the breech plug yet. it looks like it could be removed but it will take quite a lot of effort. i am going to remove it and the nipple to get a better look at the breech before I proof test it
20231115_212014.jpg
20231115_212042.jpg

Back