• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Would you use an original gun barrel to build a new gun ?

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Trapper1993

40 Cal
Reaction score
I have this minty looking belgian fowler barrel I would like to use to make a new fowler. I have the original stock and furniture and the wood is in good shape but its breaking off in the fore end. Its missing the lock as well. The bore looks alright and the breach looks fairly rusty but im sure some evaporust and a brass brush will clean it up. I stupidly left it in evaporust solution too long which is why half the barrel is grey and the other half is browned. The only issues with the barrel is minor pitting around the nipple and that the nipple is stuck on and may need to be sawed off, drilled out and rethreaded.

1699494388041.png
1699494393907.png
1699494473077.jpeg
20231108_203222.jpg
20231108_203300.jpg
20231108_203416.jpg
20231108_203354.jpg
20231108_203441.jpg
20231108_203313.jpg

I have this minty looking belgian fowler barrel I would like to use to make a new fowler. I have the original stock and furniture and the wood is in good shape but its breaking off in the fore end. Its missing the lock as well. The bore looks alright and the breach looks fairly rusty but im sure some evaporust and a brass brush will clean it up. I stupidly left it in evaporust solution too long which is why half the barrel is grey and the other half is browned. The only issues with the barrel is minor pitting around the nipple and that the nipple is stuck on and may need to be sawed off, drilled out and rethreaded.

View attachment 267450View attachment 267451View attachment 267452View attachment 267453View attachment 267454View attachment 267455View attachment 267456View attachment 267457View attachment 267458
The bolster and nipple seat would be my areas of concern. I’d re-proof it. I know that’s a position not all would take.

Would I use an original barrel to build a gun ? Sure , have a few times and I have two original barrels , one 160 yrs. old and another 180 yrs. old , just waiting their turn to be made into a N.W. trade gun . Just check out the barrel condition thoroughly , bore condition , pits esp. and the breech . Most the time , in my limited experience with original barrels the course thread breech is worn out and dangerous . Each original barrel I have reused ive rebreeched , rethread barrel and modern fine thread breech plug . Sure is a cool resurrecting an original barrel and shooting it . Many times the Muzzle needs cut off too , too thin .... Any who , best of luck

Attachments

• IMG_20231109_121222.jpg
    IMG_20231109_121222.jpg
    4.2 MB · Views: 0
Make sure you proof the barrel before you even consider using it in a build. The bore needs an emory cloth treatment. This can be done by using a 3/8 " steel rod , with a 3/8 " slot sawed into the end , cut some 200 grit emory cloth in 2" x 4" sheets , slip a sheet into the slot sawed in the rod , put the rod into a drill motor , and stick the Emory cloth rig into the bore and enerise the drill motor. Change the emory cloth often , as it will clog up. After the bore is starting to clean up , switch to 400 grit emory. I've done a couple successfully with this method. A small flashlite is good enough to look down the barrel to heck on progress.

Make sure you proof the barrel before you even consider using it in a build. The bore needs an emory cloth treatment. This can be done by using a 3/8 " steel rod , with a 3/8 " slot sawed into the end , cut some 200 grit emory cloth in 2" x 4" sheets , slip a sheet into the slot sawed in the rod , put the rod into a drill motor , and stick the Emory cloth rig into the bore and enerise the drill motor. Change the emory cloth often , as it will clog up. After the bore is starting to clean up , switch to 400 grit emory. I've done a couple successfully with this method. A small flashlite is good enough to look down the barrel to heck on progress.
good idea. ill definitely proof this before i do anything with this. i'll be sure to clean the bore of any rust to make sure there arent any hidden cracks as well

To the original question , would I use an original barrel to build a new gun? Yes , did that. Went to a flea mkt. on the way to work. A dealer of fleas , had an original cast steel barrel blank , circa . guessing post 1820. Was breach threaded , and exterior octagon for the first 9 " then straight round 1 1/16 " to the muzzle. Total length was 40 ". The bore was rough bored to .40 cal. . I always wanted an experimental .50 cal. bench gun , so sent the barrel to Ed Rayle , the barrel maker in Gasaway , W. Va.. He bored the barrel out to .50 , with twist of 1 turn in 60 ". I built a Lehigh Valley gun with the old barrel using a stock reproduced by Fred Miller , from the Reaves Goering collection , original rifle. ...........oldwood

In the pic ... A new barrel , silver , and then an original 20 ga. English barrel , circa 1830-1840 , 36" given to me by gunbuilder Ken Netting .... Gonna make me a kick @$$ N.W. gun outta it for me ! :)

Attachments

• IMG_20230705_203236.jpg
    IMG_20230705_203236.jpg
    3.5 MB · Views: 0
Back