• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

DIY and original ramrod tips, jags, photos please.

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Ironoxide

40 Cal
Reaction score
This post is a call for pictures of your original, or own made interesting ramrod tips, jags, worms etc to be used as inspiration when making replacements.

I've been recently working on a new ramrod for my squirrel rifle (Pedersoli plainsman, 197x made, . 38 cal, 44in barrel, in percussion).

Unfortunately previous ramrod was shot out the barrel very long time ago. A jag with too thick dry patch became stuck while cleaning between shots. Few grains of powder were dribbled through the nipple seat and the ramrod was successfully launched. Unfortunately half went one way, the other half the other way...

Ever since I wanted to make a new one and I recently did. As this is a. 38 I couldn't get a straight grained hardwood rod thin enough. So I sanded it down to a taper. I made a simple jag for one end and a cap on the other. I measured the length of the ramrod seat with a 7mm (0.27in) rod and I made the ramrod to match, but it would be better if it was at least an inch longer. I later found there is some extra space at the bottom of the ramrod channel, but it is very narrow. 5mm(0.2'') rod gets in, 7mm(0.27'') doesn't. So I'm thinking of making a brass extension to my ramrod. Perhaps one with a cap that hides a corkscrew style patch puller, or a patent breech cleaner.

I've been looking for pictures for inspiration, but other than old threads with missing pictures I haven't found much. So if you made an elaborate or otherwise interesting ramrod tip or jag, please post a picture. Likewise with originals.

I'll start with my own pictures to get the ball rolling.

Here is an original ramrod for an English percussion double shotgun made in the middle 18-hundreds.
20210825_103209.jpg
20210825_103145.jpg
20210825_103156.jpg
20210825_103221.jpg

Here is an original ramrod for a Belgian 9-bore smoothbore. Also percussion.
20210825_103107.jpg

20210825_103031.jpg

20210825_103118.jpg

20210825_103133.jpg

The difference in jag ends of the cheap Belgian and an expensive English gun are quite interesting. It is obvious the 9-bore jag was made by combining a circle and a strip of brass foil, while the English one has no visible connection so it must have been made using a pressed cup. None of them were made as we would have today, by turning from a piece of bar stock. I imagine brass bar stock was pretty expensive back in the day.

Then here is the current version of the squirrel rifle ramrod I made. The cap on the end will be replaced in future. The jag is pinned with an annealed brass rivet. If I break this ramrod I'll make another one with stainless steel rod core.

If I remember correctly the wood is straight grained beech.
20210825_104204.jpg

20210825_104154.jpg

I've made quite a few ram rod tips using spent CF rimless shells. I punch out the spent primer and drill and tap the hole for my accessories (jag, ball puller, patch puller).
Same for me. I have also used rimmed brass that I ground the rim off. I also have a round ball shaped like a file ro concave the center as to not distort the ball so much.

I've made quite a few ram rod tips using spent CF rimless shells. I punch out the spent primer and drill and tap the hole for my accessories (jag, ball puller, patch puller).
Same for me. I have also used rimmed brass that I ground the rim off. I also have a round ball shaped like a file ro concave the center as to not distort the ball so much.

Interesting. Also, I guess one could braze all kinds of things to the bottom of a CF cartridge case. It is a much better method of making a cup than lathe turning.

Interesting. Also, I guess one could braze all kinds of things to the bottom of a CF cartridge case. It is a much better method of making a cup than lathe turning.

Here's an original that Forum Member George posted some time ago:

1630029617825.png

While this one is 19th century, this style goes back to the 1760's at least.

Some folks make a "sort of" replica of these with a thick disc (like a washer) in the end and is threaded for screw in tools. The problem is I don't have documentation for those, though. That's not to say they are not correct earlier, just that I don't have documentation they do.

Gus

Here's an original that Forum Member George posted some time ago:

View attachment 91666

While this one is 19th century, this style goes back to the 1760's at least.

Some folks make a "sort of" replica of these with a thick disc (like a washer) in the end and is threaded for screw in tools. The problem is I don't have documentation for those, though. That's not to say they are not correct earlier, just that I don't have documentation they do.

Gus

Thank you for reposting it :)

Back