• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

would you buy it ?

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

David454

36 Cal.
Reaction score
I dont shoot real blackpowder. Except for one can of goex all I have shot has been pyrodex and a pound of american pioneer bought last month. Iam not into the period correct stuff. And with all the new powders comeing out lately. If some one made a powder that wouldnt smoke and was able to be measured like blackpowder how many would buy it. I know I would like it to hunt with. I dont like the shoot and duck thing.

I'm not all that into pc either. It doesn't bother me that my Hawken doesn't quite look like any of the original ones. I don't care at all for those inbred hybrid things. But to answer your question, no I wouldn't buy it. I like the smoke. I've used Pyrodex some when there was no black available and don't care for it. Haven't tried 777 or any of the others and won't unless forced into it.

You won't get much advice on that here as almost all are "pc" traditional shooters and don't play on that side of the fence.

I would try that powder for my inlines but not for my flintlock I have started shooting Goex 3f and so far like it in the flint rifle. I have not even tried using anything like pyrodex or 777 in it and probably won't ( I will save it for the Encore and other more modern rifles that I have ).

Buying anything other than real blackpowder is supporting the enemy as far as I'm concerned. You can barely buy the real stuff now. The less demand there is for real powder, the more likely they'll stop making it. When you can't buy real powder anymore, I suppose my flintlocks will become wall hangers.

No, I wouldn't buy it or any other faux powder.

No, I would not buy it even if it was as good & cheaper than BP. Course that is never gonna happen, it has always been more expensive & less accurate & until lately, more corrosive than real BP.

I am definately NOT a PC guy, but I like shooting BP and that is all I have been shooting since about 1970. Now I have shot other powders & watched others shoot it, but it is just not the same to me & took all the charactor out of the sport of Muzzleloading. Just as well shoot a modern weapon if no smoke & no smell & no cleaning & well.....

I like the smoke & the smell & the looks, everything that goes along with shooting Real BP in a muzzleloader. I like building them, working on them, cleaning them, etc. It is slow, easy going, relaxing sport from a hectic world, & to me it is a wonderful break to go shooting a BP ML'ing rifle.....

:thumbsup:

Swampman said:
Buying anything other than real blackpowder is supporting the enemy as far as I'm concerned. You can barely buy the real stuff now. The less demand there is for real powder, the more likely they'll stop making it. When you can't buy real powder anymore, I suppose my flintlocks will become wall hangers.

No, I wouldn't buy it or any other faux powder.
I agree 100%. If BP ever becomes unavailable it will be hard for them to catch me making mine. Just remember to grind all secret ingredients individualy. Mix wet.

If some one made a powder that wouldnt smoke and was able to be measured like blackpowder how many would buy it. I know I would like it to hunt with. I dont like the shoot and duck thing.

I do it all the time. Just not for blackpowder. My Lyman 57 measurer throws smokeless powder by volume. As long as blackpowder is available that's what I'll use in all my muzzleloaders. There is no substitute for a flintlock, anyway.

Shoot and duck? Heck no. Breathe in the history with relish and vigor! The deer either drops or doesn't while you should be following through with the shot sequence. There's no follow up to be performed (if all went well). If the deer stumbled off you should give it 15 minutes to expire unpushed while you calmly reload.

David454 said:
I dont shoot real blackpowder. Except for one can of goex all I have shot has been pyrodex and a pound of american pioneer bought last month. Iam not into the period correct stuff. And with all the new powders comeing out lately. If some one made a powder that wouldnt smoke and was able to be measured like blackpowder how many would buy it. I know I would like it to hunt with. I dont like the shoot and duck thing.

I would only resprt to subs if real BP was no longer legally available.

As far as 'duck & shoot' goes, real BP doesn't present any more of a smoke problem than Pyrodex[url] does...in[/url] fact, Hodgdon's manual states they they actually designed Pyrodex to have smoke like real BP.

And to be honest, it's such a rare occurance that I can remember the two specific days in 15+ years, and actually posted about it last year, where a cloud of smoke momentairly hung in front of me...one was after shooting a buck, the other was at the range...both were during periods of intense heavy wet fog & mist with zero air movement and the heavy wet air just trapped the smoke cloud right out there about 10 feet in front of me...that's after thousands of shots.

Otherwise, there always seems to be enough air movement where smoke really doesn't stay in place to cause a problem for me...

Last edited by a moderator:
Certainly not. If you don't like the smoke, there are plenty of shooting disciplines which may capture your fancy.

just don't seem right using anything other than real black powder. to answer your question, nope. not even if it was given to me. I don't consider myself all that pc, but using a substitute powder??? it's just not right I tell ya. flinch

I use only real black powder in all of my guns...

There is a certain romantic affair that goes along with the beauty and love we have for these finely crafted guns, would you romance a real woman with lesser gifts than the best you can afford?

I think that would be like ordering a Big Mac and telling them to hold the pickle, lettuce, sauce, meat and bun.

Flintlocks demand blackpowder .so thats all I have on hand. my son has a can of that pyro stuff,it,s about 10 yrs old.Once I got him to use the real thing ,he never went back.

How many would buy it? 16 NO and 0 yes, got it.
There are substitutes for black but there are NO replacements.

Musketman said:
I use only real black powder in all of my guns...

There is a certain romantic affair that goes along with the beauty and love we have for these finely crafted guns, would you romance a real woman with lesser gifts than the best you can afford?

Well said, Musketman :hatsoff: I went thru a phase of playing with the substitutes in percussions. It was an effort to reduce cleaning time. But something was missing. :hmm: Even the "feel" of the T7, Blk Mag, or Pinnacle Powder being poured into the brass measurer and then down the barrel wasn't the same. :( . There's nothing quite like being enveloped in a cloud of real blackpowder smoke, breathing in the sulfuric smell. :) You think I'm kidding? Wouldn't of jumped over to flintlocks if I were.

David454 said:

Why would someone get involved in something and then look for ways to make it something else?

I often hear (not necessarily from you)... "I like muzzleloading, except for the flint, the powder, the smoke, the loading, the cleaning, etc." :shake:

Back