• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

would you buy it ?

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
5 year ago I bought a pound of clean shot took about 10 shots with it and it smell awfull not like the real deal so I shelfed it. Son inlaw went to his first shoot last month so I handed it to him and said use this up (haha). All the guys where busting his butt becuase that short little deer hunter I gave him sounded like a silencer, all in good fun. They told me to buy him so real powder ( hehe). I gotta make a 1 hr run to J&J Pyro and get a 25 lb case of Goex at $242.00 just called her. Now thats a good deal. Boon

If somebody came out with a perfect replica of a '63 Corvette powered by an electric motor, how many would buy it? A few...those who have no "feel" for the propriety of such a thing. To those who are true enthusiasts, nothing but a 427 under the hood is going to be acceptable.

I can also see, somewhere down the road, a powder just as you describe. At that point, start looking for increased regulation of all muzzleloading firearms due to the belief that they will be little different from centerfire firearms. (No smoke, jacketed bullets, modern primers, high velocities, scopes, etc.) We're almost there as it is and something like that could well push the issue over the edge. At least now, when someone drops the hammer (or striker), the billowing clouds of smoke lets even ignorant observers (those who make the laws) tell the difference between a muzzleloader and a modern gun.

I'll buy real black as long as I can, and I recommend others do the same. For those who feel cleaning real BP is too much work and they don't like the smell and smoke...I urge them to stick with modern centerfire guns. To those who can't get real BP locally (and I fall into that category), get with some other muzzleloaders and purchase a case of real stuff mail order. If the area in which you live disallows posession of BP, MOVE! :haha:

:thumbsup:

DAvid: The answer is NO. I would not buy such a product. I shoot a flintlock because it is a flintlock, and uses Black Powder. I have plenty of modern guns that shoot smokeless powders. I choose to handicap myself with my flintlock for the pleasure it gives me when I bring down game the same way it was done 200 years ago. I like the problems of dealing with moisture, powder charges, patch lubes, rain and cold weather, when I hunt. I like the smell of sulfur in the air, and that cloud of smoke I have to duck around to see the animal go down.

If you don't want to deal with those problems, then stick with a smokeless gun. Sure, you can't take advantage of the muzzle loading season with those modern guns, but why be miserable? Are you hunting for subsistence? I think probably not.

Take a look at BP suppliers here on the forum. Some like Grafs are around ten bucks a pound, four pounds minimum, 20 dollar Hazmat fee, and last but not least, free FedEx shipping to your door.

If ya don't like the shoot and duck or however ya worded it, you should stick with the cartridge guns. After messing around with Pyrodex, I think Goex is definetely the way to go. It's cheaper, shoots better, looks better. I'm all Goex you can have Pyrodex. They make some really fine cartrideg guns for hunting, ya don't even have to pour anything into the muzzle or anything. Point and shoot!

That other Manure won't work in a Flint gun, so like Pachy poop it's only good as fertilizer! and the smoke, it gives me my choice of shooting benches at the downwind side at the range. Bill

I'm just amazed at how many people think that black powder is the inferior. I was taught that the subsitutes were cleaner! They are not! Goex I think is way cleaner than Pyrodex. The Triple Seven seems to be a little closer but E Gads the price of it will knock yer socks off. I like black powder the best. Give me Goex, I'm done buying the other...manure

I don't know what I'd do without the smoke it's the only thing that keeps the bugs and the dreaded "Black Flys" away. [if you live in New England you know what I mean]
Not to mention the smokless powder guys Too! After 8 or ten shots they either move or leave....Jim

I am sure the armored knights had the same view of those those new fangled little round ball shootes.. handgones.
Awfull little things are going to make life too difficult..
If some one came up with something that actualy worked in a flinter and didn't smoke and stink. I would use it.
why not?? I have yet to see anything that will do the job like B/P and flints, but I never thought I would have a high speed internet connection and be able to talk to the world,
this is how the flintlock rifle was invented, hundreds of years ago..

TANSTAAFL said:
Take a look at BP suppliers here on the forum. Some like Grafs are around ten bucks a pound, four pounds minimum, 20 dollar Hazmat fee, and last but not least, free FedEx shipping to your door.

I just ordered 2 lbs of Goex from Graf & Sons. The minimum order quoted was $20.
Dave

Well I guess you guys were'nt to bad on me. :rotf:

I like loading from the front, got tired of sitting at a reloading bench a long time ago. Thats the main reason I shoot MUZZLEloaders. I like casting my own bullets. Being able to play with all the combinations of loads possible right there at the range. I like hunting with a muzzleloader. And a lot more little things about the front stuffers. But iam not real nostalgic about it. So I could do with out the cloud. Just wondered if there were very many people that felt the same way.

will lubing the patch with liquid smoke,,,make more smoke,,,[i know,,sit down and shut up] :haha: :rotf:

David454 said:
Well I guess you guys were'nt to bad on me. :rotf:

I like loading from the front, got tired of sitting at a reloading bench a long time ago. Thats the main reason I shoot MUZZLEloaders. I like casting my own bullets. Being able to play with all the combinations of loads possible right there at the range. I like hunting with a muzzleloader. And a lot more little things about the front stuffers. But iam not real nostalgic about it. So I could do with out the cloud. Just wondered if there were very many people that felt the same way.
:bull:

Are you happy that you started a riot on our peacefull forum?

I once purchased a can because a dealer convinced me that it was clean, noncorrosive, accurate and safe.

I was pretty annoyed when I found that all four points were untrue. I have since gone with only real BP and will likely never consider anything else regardless of price, performance or cleanliness.

CS

Real Missouri boys,shoot real black powder..BP is usually cheaper than pyrodex...A 300 degree spark will ignite BP...It's takes about 800 degrees to ignite pyrrrrrrrroooooooooddddddddeeeeeeeexxxx.

David454 said:
I dont shoot real blackpowder. Except for one can of goex all I have shot has been pyrodex and a pound of american pioneer bought last month. Iam not into the period correct stuff. And with all the new powders comeing out lately. If some one made a powder that wouldnt smoke and was able to be measured like blackpowder how many would buy it. I know I would like it to hunt with. I dont like the shoot and duck thing.

I wouldn't buy it.
I love the smoke. I love the fouling. I love the performance of the real thing.
Unless it become illegal, I will shoot real BP for life.

HD

The thought of it becoming illegal is kinda depressing and I would hope that it wouldn't happen to us sportsman protected by the second amendment. After some searcing around and expiermenting I am firmly in the blackpowder camp. It's cheaper, better shooting, cleans up WAY better {all the subsitute's hype about cleaning up better are oh so not true} and it gives a better looking smoke

Back